Options

[Progress Thread] My Linux+ Journey

glathorglathor Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone, I've decided to make this thread to motivate myself further in order to obtain a CompTIA Linux+ certificate. After seeing the other progress threads, I got really hyped into making one. So a little background on myself, I started using Linux when I was about 16 years old. I got hired at a web hosting company and climbed the ranks where I ended up as "Linux Internal Support". I would pretty much just troubleshoot Apache, MySQL, Mail, & PHP issues on the cPanel/WHM servers and sometimes write small scripts to automate things or save time. I left that hosting company when I was about 19 to really focus on my school work, at the time I went from pursuing a Construction Management Degree to a Marketing Degree, to a last minute Computer Science Degree (I was running away from my true calling hehe). So since I have to take more Math courses in order to transfer over to a University, I decided to pursue some certificates to make my resume look pretty? So here I am, at 21 pursuing a computer science degree and some certificates. :)

Originally I was going for the LPIC-1 certificate only but then I found out about the "Get the Linux+ cert and you can get the LPIC-1 & OpenSuse Cert" (Also heard about the Novell Cert) so why not? The plan is to follow my book's outline which is, Chapter 1-5 then take the first exam, then Chapter 6-10 and take the last exam to gain the Linux+ Certificate.

Study Resources: Roderick W. Smith'sLPIC-1 Study Guide + Youtube
Current Progress: Chapter 1-5 Page 70 out of 263. (27%)

[root@franksprogress] cat /var/log

4/25/2016: To this day, I've completed Chapter 1 and have yet to finish Chapter 2. With exams coming up, my progress will be slow. I plan to read more this weekend. icon_study.gif

Comments

• Options
    yparkypark Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey glathor. I am also planning on taking LX0-103 soon, probably next week. Going over and reviewing some commands and bootloader/init section right now. It's also cool that you learned Linux on WHM/cPanel since that's part of what I am doing as well.

Wish you the best of luck!
    2022 Goals: [PCNSE] [JNCIS-SP] [JNCIS-SEC] [JNCIS-DevOps]
  • Options
    ypark wrote: »
    Hey glathor. I am also planning on taking LX0-103 soon, probably next week. Going over and reviewing some commands and bootloader/init section right now. It's also cool that you learned Linux on WHM/cPanel since that's part of what I am doing as well.

Wish you the best of luck!

Thank you! Do let me know how it goes. :) I'm going to be done with my school finals in about 2 weeks. I'm going to do some heavy reading after that. I'm thinking of checking out the Linux Academy labs. I mean I have a VirtualBox and Dedicated Server to play around in but I guess having a guided lab would help me in my weak areas. icon_profileleft.gif
  • Options
    Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    Awesome, it's great to see you pursuing all this at a young age. I will be studying for Linux+ after I finish up the CCENT/CCNA :)

Your resources look good to go as well. Keep this thread updated, I'll keep a close eye on it.

Best of luck, my friend!
  • Options
    Just an update. Finished taking all my school's finals so I'll resume reading this Monday. I left off close to ending Chapter 2 but I'll go back and review my notes. On another note, I've received a Cyber Security internship so this summer is definitely going to be a learning one. :)
  • Options
    I just wanted to update that I passed LX0-103 yesteday with a score of 670. I took two extra weeks to go through another training material to make sure I have the concepts down. WGU provides Ucertify has the main training material for Linux+ but also found out TestOut LabSim was also available upon request. Ucertify material is completely based on CompTIA Linux+ Powered by Linux Professional Institute Study Guide, which I already own. While this book does a good job covering all topic in detail, it is very cut and dry. Lab simulations and video lectures on LabSim helped tremendously in breaking down and making sure each concept is understood before building on it.
    I would say general understanding of overall Linux OS (file systems, grub/sysV/systemd/Upstart, package managers and basic commands) are more important than memorizing every single option/switch for each command. It was definitely easier than I expected. Also, there was one question that asked about Windows NT that threw me off guard...

I am studying away for the 104 exam and I am shooting for end of May/beginning of June for the actual exam. Keep me updated on your status too!
  • Options
    TSaLTSaL Member Posts: 38 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Gratz! I'm currently ready though Ucertify and doing Labsim.
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What are your thoughts on the Cybrary info on Linux+?????
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    Just wanted to update that I sat and passed Lx0-104 exam this morning with a 670. I definitely wasn't as prepared as I was for the 103 exam but I was confident that I would pass. This time around, I went through all of Robb Tracy's videos on LabSim first then used Ucertify as supplementary material. This did not work out as well as I thought it would. Despite the fact that Ucertify is dry and boring, going through it before the LabSim videos definitely helped a lot because doing it the other way did not help me retain the content as well.
    As far as the exam, I don't think it was difficult but there were few questions that weren't covered in TestOut nor Ucertify. Also, I did get about 10 or so fill in the blanks, mostly asking for full path to configuration files.

So I am now onto CCENT and I'm friggin excited! I hope you guys the best of luck! Keep us updated galthor.
  • Options
    Sorry for the lack of updates. Got busy with school again and a new job. I've decided to opt out of Linux+/LPIC-1 and pursue the RHCSA certificate. Will make a thread of update this one once I have more details.