Options

*Rollover A+/Network+ to ETA certification CST and CNST*

Comments

• Options
    Bruce LeeBruce Lee Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wonder....

ETA is "non-profit" org. ....

Why we must pay for rollover to CST 49.00 USD ?

.....pay, pay, pay....for what ? ...... piece of paper..... I already have ....

crash.gif
    Bruce Lee
  • Options
    Bruce Lee wrote:
    I wonder....

ETA is "non-profit" org. ....

Why we must pay for rollover to CST 49.00 USD ?

.....pay, pay, pay....for what ? ...... piece of paper..... I already have ....

crash.gif

so is CompTIA
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    "Non-profit" means making profit is not their goal. That's doesn't mean that they don't have costs to cover, such as administration fees, postal, employees, test development, marketing, and yes even the piece of paper and the ink on it.
  • Options
    http://www.eta-i.org/Rollover.html

according to this page, if you have A+, Network+, and i-Net+, not only can you get CWS, CST, and CNST, but you can get CET as well.
  • Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    http://www.eta-i.org/Rollover.html

according to this page, if you have A+, Network+, and i-Net+, not only can you get CWS, CST, and CNST, but you can get CET as well.

I'm afraid that is simply a typo. The exam required for the CET is quite a bit more involved than just a rollover. In order to be certified as a CET, you must pass the Associate CET exam (that makes you and CETa) then you pass a Journeyman level exam (there are over 20) to be a full CET. there is also a certification for a Student Electronics Technician (SET).

The Associate exam goes all the way down to component level, electronics theory, ohm's law, operational amps, biasing transistors, etc.

From the ETA homepage, you can access all the certification competencies. They also have a complete listing of everyone who has achieved certification and which cert. (online listing only goes back to 2003) ETA is also the testing organization for the FCC Broadcast license. I'm tellin' ya, the ETA has got it goin' on. Come join us. They also have a member discussion forum. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Options
    maybe it waives your associate exam?
  • Options
    porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    I pulled the trigger on getting the CNST. Just waiting for the confirmation information. :)

By the way, I think they should give TechExam.Net members an additional discount. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Well, I guess I'll jump on board....I hate using my credit card....but it may be worth it......we'll see....it can't hurt......
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    namanama Member Posts: 187
    is the rollover only entitled for U.S citizens or internationally?
  • Options
    nama wrote:
    is the rollover only entitled for U.S citizens or internationally?

Internationally! icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    2 questions as follows:
    1. can I email them my comptia career ID upon purchase?
    2. if so, whats the email address?
  • Options
    PremierCiscoPremierCisco Member Posts: 221
    Hi Nama,

I logged on to CompTIA's website and got them to publish my certificates to studyexam4less.

Once you pay for them on their website studyexam4less website that is the will send you an email giving you the options as to how to send them your validation of required certificate's.

Hope this helps

Regards

Eamonn :D
    Bachelor of Science in Computer Services Management - Limerick Institute of Technology
    Higher Certificate in Science in Computer Services - Limerick Institute of Technology
    Certificate Information Technology and Computing - The Open University
    Certificate in Computing and Mathematics -The Open University
  • Options
    nama wrote:
    2 questions as follows:
    1. can I email them my comptia career ID upon purchase?
    2. if so, whats the email address?
    Check it out.

http://www.studyexam4less.com/rollover.asp
  • Options
    billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
    :D I like the sound of this but i`m way over here in the UK can i still apply for the cert??
  • Options
    Please read the entire thread before asking questions, in particular, see the previous couple of posts above yours...
  • Options
    eamo20 wrote:
    Hi Nama,

I logged on to CompTIA's website and got them to publish my certificates to studyexam4less.

Once you pay for them on their website studyexam4less website that is the will send you an email giving you the options as to how to send them your validation of required certificate's.

Hope this helps

Regards

Eamonn :D
    oh, i see. I hope the certificate doesn't look as dull as comptia's.
  • Options
    theshanetheshane Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I did it, if not for the Cert the practice exams are cool.
  • Options
    elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    well, i'm gonna go for both of em. hope it's worth the cost.
    stonecold26.jpg
  • Options
    TcatTcat Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    "oh, i see. I hope the certificate doesn't look as dull as comptia's."

They will NOT look like CompTIA certs. And the new Pin <YES you get a lapel pin> will be much nicer than the old ETA pins. I'm very pleased with what my graphics team has come up with.

the down side is you will have to wait about 4 weeks as all the supplies ordered are all custom made.

In the meantime, may I suggest you take advantage of the +/- 2,000 practice tests you can download?

Further after you install the Quiz engine, really look it over. I have discovered over years that many people do not take advantage of the customizable nature of the engine. I guess we we're just too clever when we hid the customizing features under the term "Options" in the menu bar.

Next time we're be sure to deliver that in 48 point type and a high voltage eletcric shock via the keyboard when installing icon_wink.gif

Tcat
    Save A Frog! Join the ETA!
    http://snipurl.com/SaveAFrog
  • Options
    pcrepairguypcrepairguy Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't know if I want to rollover my certs...because you keep paying it to renew it.
    Why read "Impossible" Just read it "I M Possible" -- A.I. (not Iverson;)
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Tcat wrote:
    "oh, i see. I hope the certificate doesn't look as dull as comptia's."

They will NOT look like CompTIA certs. And the new Pin <YES you get a lapel pin> will be much nicer than the old ETA pins. I'm very pleased with what my graphics team has come up with.

the down side is you will have to wait about 4 weeks as all the supplies ordered are all custom made.

In the meantime, may I suggest you take advantage of the +/- 2,000 practice tests you can download?

Further after you install the Quiz engine, really look it over. I have discovered over years that many people do not take advantage of the customizable nature of the engine. I guess we we're just too clever when we hid the customizing features under the term "Options" in the menu bar.

Next time we're be sure to deliver that in 48 point type and a high voltage eletcric shock via the keyboard when installing icon_wink.gif

Tcat

I was playing with the "Create a Quiz" function... Very cool!
  • Options
    http://www.studyexam4less.com/forum.asp?ID=1017

Since the ETA-I has recently surfaced on a more visible level then it has previously known, a number of trainers are asking what is so special about the org?

As a trainer and member of the ETA-I for almost 4 years, I would like to answer that.

First the mis-conception. The ETA is not competing with CompTIA. CompTIA is a trade organization for the trade companies. The ETA is there for the tech.

The ETA has certification tests in areas outside of those areas that CompTIA has , such as Bio-Medical, fiber optics, industrial etc. While some trainers in Project+ couldn't care less about splicing fiber, it is a large area of expertise and the only practical place I know to go under one house, the ETA.

Their monthly PDF newsletter has more great training in one source then I have ever seen. For example I learned more about the details of how an LCD monitor works than anything I ever read elsewhere.
    Let's talk about conventions. I've gone to Break Away Exchange a number of times @ $2,000. I have always felt I got solid value for my money attending this CompTIA meeting. The ETA has the SRC meeting. It also includes 3 meals a day as part of the show. The fee for the SRC show was $300. OK. To be fair a few class sessions were not free. I wanted to attend the day long fiber optics splicing course which had a $75 materials fee, and I couldn't. I had 2 sessions of my own to present on that day.

Last and certainly not least the reason why you want to inform your students of this choice is their careers.
    It is about that extra edge. Today if one candidate has A+ and another one has A+ & CST, which looks better?

Tommorow it will be a *disadvantage* to NOT have an ETA-I cert. This is because I have committed my time, money and energy to get ETA tests out to less developed countries with test fees running at our current equivilent of 2 days wages at the minimum wage of that country. So for example, in Mexico the A+ of CST will be one hundred pesos, or $10. USD. This is not a pipe dream. My office in Mexico is being set up now. There are millions of geeks who just cannot afford over $200 for a test when the going pay rate per day is less than what YOU pay for lunch. It is my mission to fix that.

Don't mis-read me, please. This SE Asia vet loves his country. But we now live in a flat world. I'm going to help the hard working geeks worldwide have a standardized test they can afford. Since there are more non-US citizens than US citizens, you might want to get the training material offered by me and the ETA along with your CST and/or CNST and join the rest of the world.

Best,
    Tcat
    CNST, etc
  • Options
    I planned to include something in a PM, asking you about your reasons for being involved in ETA so much. Your post answers all that though. Good luck with making it happen, and if this takes off, we'll definitely add an ETA forum. Would be nice if you can throw in some numbers of ETA certified individuals. :)
  • Options
    porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    Webmaster wrote:
    I planned to include something in a PM, asking you about your reasons for being involved in ETA so much.

Can you make it a public posting? I'd like to know the reason as well.
  • Options
    I meant to say he already answered in his post what I was about to ask.
    Tcat wrote:
    There are millions of geeks who just cannot afford over $200 for a test when the going pay rate per day is less than what YOU pay for lunch. It is my mission to fix that.
    But if there's more to it, I'd love to hear about it Tcat.
  • Options
    elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    one question. Why is this rollover thing only bieng offered by Study4less?
    stonecold26.jpg
  • Options
    elover_jm wrote:

And our esteemed webmaster... whom is very generously giving the energy for this thread... It is sorta like that movie, Lilies Of The Field.

"Insurance... I don't know if there is a higher power. If there is I'm buying insurance and doing some good."

I approached StudyExam4Less over 3 years ago along with other folks all in the same morning. The SE4L group responded with a line like, "Let's grow together". This was in response to a sorta a tightening of the screw from another non-profit org that I took exception to.

Others didn't respond at all or came back at me with a lot of negative stuff. Sorry. I don't have enough life left in me to play the hostile game.

Ok. Enough decades have gone by since I have seen Lilies of the Field and Sydney P in that 1960's movie that I may not be quoting exact enough for google...

And at the very soul of my being... I thank our host here for giving the time/money/energy for giving us all a true alternative to a trade only org. Somebody has to stand up for the solo geek. That would be me and StudyExam4Less whom has chosen to stand with me.

We are NOT looking for how many pennies we can shake out of your pockets. Together we do undertand that by according to Spiderman, "with great power comes great responiblity" .... if we can get a penny times many geeks we can power a machine that lets us all grow together.

I am personally leaving the USA to both reduce my overhead and expand the IT Touch South Of The Border. To me, better to bring some business back to North America than seeing ALL of it go across the water.

So look for me in Mexico. Yes. I am after over 30 years leaving the MS mothership. Sure. Some sadness about that. And with looking @ the footprint I have left on this planet, I need to hussle and do good. Not complaining about my part in making computers generic. That is part of my and MS legacy. And I'm still here so time to do more, heh?

Best, Tcat
  • Options
    elover_jm wrote:

Maybe I was too tired to see other ways of reading your question last night... (my class got out at 9:30 PM local --- great kids!)

The reason for an Exclusive with SE4L. Most of my (C) material is there and in co-op with SE4L we can choose to give it away for "free" which costs us in bandwidth, storage, etc. <real money> Many folks give something away. As I said, "insurance". And we're not going to have our contribution taken away by someone else. Yes, sad to say there are people who would run up and take the bow for the gifts other have given...
  • Options
    dmm37dmm37 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I went for it, at first I didn't want anything to do with it since I had never heard of them. Did a little research and decided to do it.

Can’t hurt anything to have it.

David
  • Options
    linksysinfolinksysinfo Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    is it however worth paying $69 for CNST and then $49 for CST since CNST needs A+ and Network+ together.
    Regards Simon
    http://www.linksysinfo.org
    CompTIA A+, Network+
    (Studying for Security+)