Options

scsi's

nigelnigel Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
can anybody help with scsi's, best way to mem them. are they an important part of exam.

Comments

• Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    From http://www.techexams.net/technotes/scsi.shtml :
    Fast: Refers to bus speeds of 10 MHz, Ultra: Refers to bus speeds of 20 MHz, Ultra2: Refers to bus speeds of 40 MHz
    Wide: Refers to the bus width (16-bits). As you can see in the table below 'Wide' always supports 16 devices. (Since there is no 'narrow' version of Ultra3 SCSI the word Wide is omitted)

bus width/8 * bus speed = through-put. That worked for me.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    I can't recall having gotten very much scsi on the A+ exams.

You might be asked a question about which is faster, IDE or SCSI, or something like that. But, the exam is adaptive, and there's always the luck-of-the draw to consider, because neither do you know what sort of system you might run into in PC troubleshooting

I remember that all my A+ materials had a section, or at least mentioned SCAM(SCSI Configured AutoMatically). It's like PnP for the SCSI bus.

But now I find that in newer devices that SCAM has been spec'd out of the SCSI standards. But, you could still be asked about it in exam.

With these in mind, guess you had bettter know what the study guides teach. I have flash cards that I made to help me get the different SCSI types memorized. When you have them in memory, it also helps with a lot of other areas of study in A+ that might refer to SCSI.

Try:http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/scsi/index.htm

This might help a little. Best of Luck to you!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    My sole SCSI question had to do with how to set the jumpers on the back of a SCSI device to a particular number. Which begs to ask-- how on earth does that certify me to work with these devices?

Truthfully, you don't know what Q's you will get, so you do have to study it all.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.