Options

A technology that you miss?

Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
As the march of time moves on and new technologies replace old ones, and as our careers progress, technologies we love drift away.

I was just looking at some php code and it made me feel nostalgic.

Comments

• Options
    ThomasITguyThomasITguy Banned Posts: 181
    I miss the AOL dial tone noises you heard when you got online....
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Geocities. Yahoo Directory. I miss the web relics from the 90's.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My first e-mail account was @usa.net back in 1999 (when it was free :D) I do not miss the technology but I miss the care free student life :D
  • Options
    I miss that little annoying paper clip dude that was in MS Word. Where he would help you out... I miss him, I hope he found a good home somewhere... :D
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I miss my Commodore 64. Seriously! I loved that little box and learned so much using it. Dang! That was 30 years ago.
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I too miss my Commodore 64 icon_cry.gif I used to copy games on 5 1/4 inch floppy disks and if they needed more space you'd cut a notch in the side to make it double sided.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    I will actually admit... I miss MsDos games... commander keen, hugos house of horrors, crystals, duke nukem, etc... :D
  • Options
    And who can forget on the apple computers with the floppy disks.... OREGON TRAIL!!!!!! icon_cheers.gif Never ever beat it... But that was my game growing up.
  • Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was a kid and Commodore 64 user in the 80's. Original Sneaker Net icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    danny069 wrote: »
    I too miss my Commodore 64 icon_cry.gif I used to copy games on 5 1/4 inch floppy disks and if they needed more space you'd cut a notch in the side to make it double sided.

Yes! Those were the days! Why waste money on double-sided floppies when you can use a hole punch and make one yourself. I taught myself BASIC and created menus for all of my games. Commodore was the best for graphics and sound back then.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Sun Microsystems products.

While they're still in production, but I miss the old days of my career supporting SPARC products. Nothing come close to how good and professional they are.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    The_ExpertThe_Expert Member Posts: 136
    Ah..there are so many (in no particular order):

Atari 800XL, 300 Baud Modem, Datasette, Printer/Plotter, C-64, Apple's eWorld, Prodigy, AOL, Bulletin Board Systems (BBS), 5.25" Floppy Disks etc.
    Masters, Public Administration (MPA), Bachelor of Science, 20+ years of technical experience.

Studying on again, off again...
  • Options
    QueueQueue Member Posts: 174 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I miss that little annoying paper clip dude that was in MS Word. Where he would help you out... I miss him, I hope he found a good home somewhere... :D

You wouldn't believe it, but after doing the XP to 7 migration here people called and complained that Clippy was no longer a feature.

Apparently it stopped in like Office 2003, but were 13 years behind.
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Stac Electronics Stacker.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Apple's enterprise stuff. The Xserve and proper Mac OS X Server. The hardware wasn't perfect, but it was better than what we have now.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Oregon Trail was cool...although try explaining that to the kids these days.
    Sitting in a massive server room with the lights off. The air flow, the hum of server fans, and the glow of server lights. Perfect sleeping :)
    AOL dial tone
    Jeopardy on a 5 1/4 drive
    Geocities was very cool back in the 90's
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Those tubes to put your deposits in at the bank. So cool to watch. A real ringing of a phone.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    cknapp78cknapp78 Member Posts: 213 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I miss my first computer back in 1983. 80 lbs integrated monochrome monitor and keyboard. 8 inch disks. ASCII Pacman and text based Dungeons and Dragons. Not to mention my C64, Intellivision gaming system, and the old Mission Impossible C64 game. Got I would spend hours playing that game and getting more aggravated by the minute.

I look at the games today my son plays like Minecraft (still don't get it) and Black Ops 3 (holy twitch mode) and long for the days of Atari and computer strategy games.

God I feel old.
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Microsoft comic chat
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Quake on the computer. 1996 version. Loved it.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I miss real technology people. No offense to anyone. When I started many of us wore lab coats, worked on mainframes and had to know very intricate engineering and designs to repair and replace equipment. We did not have people all over the world hacking into systems most of us were not even connected. Alas through simplifying for the lowest common denominator it has become a lot easier to be in the tech business. My first job I worked on ACD phone systems as big as a room and it took huge DAT tapes it was a proprietary type of tape Rockwell made. Yeah that was the good old days. I was highly employable because I worked on stuff no one could work on. You could not outsource me either because I was so specialized in my work. We were short in supply and high in demand
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There are emulators for C64 out there. I went back to it a few years ago and the nostalgia couldn't get me through playing those games. They were so bad icon_lol.gif

Plenty of free DOS games here too RGB Classic Games - All games that can be played online
  • Options
    OMGGGGGG!!!! My weekend is going to be spent playing DOS games and studying Linux! Thanks Markulous!
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I miss real technology people. .... had to know very intricate engineering and designs to repair and replace equipment...Yeah that was the good old days. I was highly employable because I worked on stuff no one could work on. You could not outsource me either because I was so specialized in my work. We were short in supply and high in demand

^^ Sums up the beginning of my career supporting Sun Microsystems SPARC hardware and Solaris OS.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Im actually going to purchase a Raspberry PII because I miss Sega and Super Nintendo. That is the technology I miss the most... icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    reload@reload@ Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    An RS-232 COM port on my laptop.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Chat rooms. I use to spend hours and hours in different chat rooms. Forums are good, but something about being live and talking to people all over was pretty cool.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    markulous wrote: »
    There are emulators for C64 out there. I went back to it a few years ago and the nostalgia couldn't get me through playing those games. They were so bad icon_lol.gif

Plenty of free DOS games here too RGB Classic Games - All games that can be played online

OMG Tank Wars!!!! At long last!!! Thanks for this!!!! I owe you mad rep points for this.

Back in the day a buddy of mine used to play these RPGs on BBS' and I used to wonder why one would play a text based one when there was console ones. Now, I wish I knew exactly what it was he played because I would play it now.

the_Grinch wrote: »
    Chat rooms. I use to spend hours and hours in different chat rooms. Forums are good, but something about being live and talking to people all over was pretty cool.

Yup same here. I lived in the AOL chat rooms and on AIM.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    LOL @ Chat rooms... I remember when you could get kicked off the internet if someone reported you in a AOL chat room. But my favs were AOL, and Yahoo chat rooms. And I loved AIM (aol instant messenger) and the famous sounds of

- Youv'e got mail
    - Goodbye
    - and the many other sounds of AOL
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I miss the dialing into BBS on Wildcat on the Commodore 64
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.