Options

A technology that you miss?

2»

Comments

• Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can't say I actually miss any of it but back in the day... my shotgun modem was the best thing ever. Dual 56k pipes bonded together for the ultra fast internet experience oh ya ;)

One thing I can say about technoligy is that while it has abstracted away much of the hard stuff, it is a much broader field of endeavor then it ever used to be. Kids now days (yup I said it) don't even know what an IRQ is and probably never had to set jumpers on SCSI drives. I'm sure the main frame dudes thought the same thing about PC techs, someone on here already said as much.

I guess there is one thing I do miss the first gen playstation and DOOM. I played that so much, I had blisters on my thumbs.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I miss working with autoexec.bat and config.sys to try and get my sound card to work and feeling so accomplished when I did get it to work. It made playing the video games I wanted to so much better because I had to work for it.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    ThomasITguyThomasITguy Banned Posts: 181
    I miss writing notes to girls I liked... then the butterflies you get when they would write you a note back.... icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    EagerDinosaurEagerDinosaur Member Posts: 114
    I miss Ada and really high quality compilers like DEC's VAX Ada. Back in the eighties it was a well-designed language that had features (exception handling, generics, a rich type system) that didn't appear in other mainstream languages for another 10 years. It's a shame it never achieved commercial critical mass.
  • Options
    Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    Getting postcards.

Lotus 1-2-3. It was simple and easy to use compared to the bloated excel.
  • Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I miss Ada and really high quality compilers like DEC's VAX Ada

This is something I think about. Today it may be hard to conceive, but I think DEC was an extremely successful company, but they did not do a good job preparing for the future. I think PC's were a hurdle they couldn't overcome.
  • Options
    si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    For me it was p2p games. Specifically: command and conquer. There used to be around 10,000+ people in a lobby wanting a game. The more you played it, the more you'd see the regulars coming back. We'd have 2 vs 2, 4 vs 4 and some games lasted 3-4 hours each. After spending 3-4 hours per game with people, you start forming teams. We had "clans" and became quite a feared bunch of players. Sounds sad maybe.....but I assure you, it was outstanding.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    si20, I believe StarCraft 2 and Warcraft III are still pretty popular today.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    si20 wrote: »
    For me it was p2p games. Specifically: command and conquer. There used to be around 10,000+ people in a lobby wanting a game. The more you played it, the more you'd see the regulars coming back. We'd have 2 vs 2, 4 vs 4 and some games lasted 3-4 hours each. After spending 3-4 hours per game with people, you start forming teams. We had "clans" and became quite a feared bunch of players. Sounds sad maybe.....but I assure you, it was outstanding.

I remember I spent $10 to get Kali.net so that we could find games faster for games like that.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    reload@ wrote: »
    An RS-232 COM port on my laptop.
    +1
    I hate it when my key-span crashes my laptop.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Manual transmission.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dave330i wrote: »
    Manual transmission.

I've been driving a vehicle with a manual transmission since 1981 will continue to drive one until they pry the shifter from my cold, dead hand. Of course, I don't really want to die in my car...
  • Options
    Manual transmission.

That is still around.... some of the newer cars still have a manual option, but it is slowly fading away. I miss my 2 door Honda civic EX coupe.... But I do want a Subaru Wrx 5 speed though...
  • Options
    That is still around.... some of the newer cars still have a manual option, but it is slowly fading away. I miss my 2 door Honda civic EX coupe.... But I do want a Subaru Wrx 5 speed though...

It's just not really driving if the car does all of the work. In 5-10 years, we'll be talking about the good old days when WE drove the cars. I for one do NOT welcome our new autonomous automobile overlords.
  • Options
    Jamm1nJamm1n Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Original Nintendo, Colonization...

That writing a note comment is to funny and true.
  • Options
    tedjames wrote: »
    It's just not really driving if the car does all of the work. In 5-10 years, we'll be talking about the good old days when WE drove the cars. I for one do NOT welcome our new autonomous automobile overlords.

right I think cars the drive themselves are a recipe for disaster.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    si20 wrote: »
    For me it was p2p games. Specifically: command and conquer.

I used to play that game for 15 hours straight on the Playstation.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■

When >90% of cars have slush box, the manual transmission is on the endangered list.
    right I think cars the drive themselves are a recipe for disaster.

Humans are the most unreliable component of driving. When you eliminate their involvement, the roadways become a lot safer and more efficient.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I miss Sega and sonic the hedgehog, manual transmission cars, and those tomagachi things... I never could keep those things alive lol
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    Humans are the most unreliable component of driving.

The same thing applies to security. Humans are the weakest link.
  • Options
    CyberSecurityCyberSecurity Member Posts: 85 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I miss the AOL dial tone noises you heard when you got online....

The original dubstep icon_wink.gif
    Ph.D. IT [UC] - 50% complete
    M.S.C.I.A. [WGU] - Completed 6/2018
    B.S.I.T.M. [WGU] - Completed 4/2017
  • Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The original dubstep icon_wink.gif

I rarely dispute comments, but for original dubstep I must suggest the sound of dot matrix printers. icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I miss "Infoseek", It was a search engine that allowed you to do a search and do another search on the results to narrow down what you were searching for. So you could search for "Fire", get results, then search for "Engine" on the results you obtained from the first search, and so on. While you can do the same thing with Google with search operators, Infoseek seemed easier to use.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.