CISSP-ISSMP discussion

titsmcgeetitsmcgee Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Can we have more discussion about the CISSP-ISSMP? What experiences does everyone have with this exam? What materials are necessary?

I'm already scoring 95% on all the ISSMP-specific domains on CCCure. I also have plenty strategic real-world experience in these areas. Should I go and take the exam? I have searched and read every single thread regarding the ISSMP, but I think there needs to be more discussion about it.

Comments

  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Senior Member Mod Posts: 6,882 Mod
    Historically the CISSP concentrations have not been very popular here. What is your goal by pursuing this cert?
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 976 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I debated doing it this year then bagged it in favor of the CIPM (privacy). Felt that CIPM would give me more value (and marketability never hurts) considering privacy is the end-all-be-all nowadays and in the next few years even though most companies haven't quite realized that yet. Get in while the market is warm, in other words, and be above the rest once it gets hot.

    ISSMP didn't really give me anything considering I already have CISSP, CISM, etc. Sure, more alphabet soup after my name, but I didn't think I'd 1) learn much new and 2) gain any new marketability since nobody asks for it or knows what it is.
  • havoc64havoc64 Member Posts: 213 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was thinking about the ISSMP, but debate with myself if it would be better to get the CISM as it's more recognized.
  • jt2929jt2929 Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    havoc64 wrote: »
    I was thinking about the ISSMP, but debate with myself if it would be better to get the CISM as it's more recognized.

    I'm in the same boat. I'm ready for another cert, just not sure which one would be better. My gut says CISM since I've never seen a job posting ask for ISSMP.
  • titsmcgeetitsmcgee Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Historically the CISSP concentrations have not been very popular here. What is your goal by pursuing this cert?
    I debated doing it this year then bagged it in favor of the CIPM (privacy). Felt that CIPM would give me more value (and marketability never hurts) considering privacy is the end-all-be-all nowadays and in the next few years even though most companies haven't quite realized that yet. Get in while the market is warm, in other words, and be above the rest once it gets hot.

    ISSMP didn't really give me anything considering I already have CISSP, CISM, etc. Sure, more alphabet soup after my name, but I didn't think I'd 1) learn much new and 2) gain any new marketability since nobody asks for it or knows what it is.

    I felt like the ISSMP could become popular given that (ISC)2 is a very respectable company who has upheld the quality of their certifications (unlike CompTIA and others), I figured if people don't know ISSMP now, they will probably know in the future. But also I can get reimbursed for taking it so I figured if it's easy enough I might as well just get it for the heck of it.

    I have never heard of the CIPM, but that does sound good moving forward in this industry. You mean this one? https://iapp.org/certify/cipm/


    I am scheduled to take CRISC in June and CISM in September already. I hear that if you can pass the CISM you can pass the ISSMP, so if it's going to be free for me then why not?
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 976 ■■■■■□□□□□
    CISM is a better choice over ISSMP in terms of marketability. Pretty much every infosec mgr job around me lists it as at least a nice to have. ISSMP never gets a mention. FWIW, CISSP got my foot in the infosec door, CISM took me to the top. I don't think ISSMP would have done nearly as much for me.

    Yes, IAPP's CIPM is what I meant. It really doesn't look that challenging and for as crazy as privacy is in this day & age, that's really the only big player out there in the market. I've told ISACA a few times they should offer a competing cert but nobody ever got back to me

    If the ISSMP is free then I say go for it. Can't hurt, can only help, nothing ventured nothing gained and all that
  • fitzlopezfitzlopez PCIP,CCNA CyberOps,CySA+,Pentest+,Linux+, CSSLP,CISSP-ISSMP,CISM,CEH,ITIL F,Cobit F,ISO27K F Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just passed the exam yesterday. Have to wait to send my resume so I can add the cert. I found the study materail does have a lot in common with the CISM. Used the CISM book and questions, the official ISSMP book from ISC2, having read some PMP and CSSLP stuff before also helped (going to take them by years end). I'd agree that if you already studied for the CISM and it's free it won't hurt to get the book and pass. Some questions felt that I didn't read them in any material but were more experience based.
  • beadsbeads Senior Member Member Posts: 1,503 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Checking on dice I found 15 positions listing the ISSMP and even then it appears to be in the should have one or more of the following. The concentrations have been around for more than a decade and have never really found any appeal save some interest in ISSEP and CAP if you work in a US government setting.

    CISM is easy and far more recognizable than the CISSM.

    - b/eads
  • lowresolutionlowresolution Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I know this is an older thread, so pardon my grave dig, but I figured I would chime in that I too have started studying ISSMP.
  • JunooniJunooni Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I know this is an older thread, so pardon my grave dig, but I figured I would chime in that I too have started studying ISSMP.

    Have you taken the exam yet, as I am preparing for the ISSMP and outside of the official CBK, I cannot find much material?
  • TankerTTankerT Member Posts: 132
    Junooni wrote: »
    Have you taken the exam yet, as I am preparing for the ISSMP and outside of the official CBK, I cannot find much material?

    I used the ISACA CISM online database to prep and pass.
  • sec_widesec_wide Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am taking the CISSP-ISSMP exam on Saturday, August 12, 2017. I have already passed the CISM, and read the full first chapter in the ISSMP CBK, because that is 38% of the exam. I am using the QAE DB for CISM, and scoring in the 90% range in the DB.

    Hopefully persistence pays off, and make sure to read/understand the explanations to the answers for the CISM QAE DB.
  • appezattoappezatto Member Posts: 5 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How was the exam? Planning to take it by the end of the year. Thanks!
  • JunooniJunooni Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sec_wide wrote: »
    I am taking the CISSP-ISSMP exam on Saturday, August 12, 2017. I have already passed the CISM, and read the full first chapter in the ISSMP CBK, because that is 38% of the exam. I am using the QAE DB for CISM, and scoring in the 90% range in the DB.

    Hopefully persistence pays off, and make sure to read/understand the explanations to the answers for the CISM QAE DB.

    How did you do on the exam as I just passed the CISM last week and am planning to take the ISSMP next month?
  • KiillKiill CISSP-ISSMP, CISM, CRISC, CISA, CIPM, PMP Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Passed the ISSMP exam yesterday.
    It was challenging, some questions really make you think, but not as hard as I thought it would be.

    I don’t know if it’s only a matter of recognition and popularity of this cert, but feels good to see the member count on the ISC² website and find that there are only 4 ISSMP here in Brazil ��

    For those who passed the CISM (I passed a few weeks ago) and are thinking about the ISSMP I’d say go for it. They’re all about information security management anyway!

    I’m surprised that I received the email with the official confirmation of the pass yesterday, the same day of the exam, CISSP took 10 days.
  • kdotnohkdotnoh Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congratulation
  • mattster79mattster79 Member Posts: 135 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I passed the CISSP exam in July and I’ve got my CISM exam booked for end of next month. Seriously thinking of sitting the ISSMP exam before Christmas. Wanna strike while the irons hot!

    Will CISM preparation be sufficient for the ISSMP exam?
    CISSP
    CISM
  • JunooniJunooni Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Kiill wrote: »
    Passed the ISSMP exam yesterday.
    It was challenging, some questions really make you think, but not as hard as I thought it would be.

    I don’t know if it’s only a matter of recognition and popularity of this cert, but feels good to see the member count on the ISC² website and find that there are only 4 ISSMP here in Brazil 😊

    For those who passed the CISM (I passed a few weeks ago) and are thinking about the ISSMP I’d say go for it. They’re all about information security management anyway!

    I’m surprised that I received the email with the official confirmation of the pass yesterday, the same day of the exam, CISSP took 10 days.

    Very helpful on the ISSMP prep if one just took the CISM exam. I plan to take mine in a couple of weeks, so will provide an update then. Thanks again!
  • TankerTTankerT Member Posts: 132
    mattster79 wrote: »
    I passed the CISSP exam in July and I’ve got my CISM exam booked for end of next month. Seriously thinking of sitting the ISSMP exam before Christmas. Wanna strike while the irons hot!

    Will CISM preparation be sufficient for the ISSMP exam?

    Yes. I used the CISM exam database and ISSMP book to pass both.
Sign In or Register to comment.