Options

Passed CISSP - An hour ago.

mkohimkohi Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello
I passed an hour ago and I thought I should share my experience, especially since you'll have been helpful the past few months.

Background: Background? Don't really have one. My undergrad was in Global Affairs, I'm 25 years old, I don't really have any other certs besides A+ and CCSK (basic cloud) and I only have 1 year and 10 months working in the IT field (Intel Security). As you may have guessed, I have to wait a few years for my endorsement.

Study materials:
1: CISSP (ISC)2 Certified Information Systems Security Professional Official Study Guide: Edition 7 (Sybex)
2: Cybrary videos
3: CBT Nuggets
3: CCCure practice exam

-I had less than 4 hours of sleep last night so excuse the typos.

I spent about 3 hours every weekday after work and the entire weekend for the past 3 months studying. Almost everything I used as my study materials was useless. I would say 80% percent of what I studied from the Sybex book or learnt from Cybrary videos wasn't in the exam. I basically read the Sybex book twice if not more and watched the Cybrary series, re-watched certain sections multiple times. I practically outlined the book, and took detailed notes on each chapter. Did all the chapter quizzes and took one of the Sybex online exam where I think I got around 74%. Here is my CCCure scores:

[TH="class: sort_enable"]No of Question[/TH]
[TH="class: sort_enable"]Score[/TH]
[TH="class: sort_enable"]Area[/TH]
[TH="class: sort_enable"]Difficulty[/TH]
[TH="class: sort_enable"]Quiz Type[/TH]
[TH="class: sort_enable"]Time Taken[/TH]
[TH="class: sort_enable sort_down"]Date[/TH]
[TH="class: sort_enable"]Status[/TH]
[TH]Results[/TH]
[TH="class: hidden_tooltip"][/TH]

70%
CISSP 2015
Pro
Test
00:15:47
08-May-2016 05:45:32 pm
Complete
Review Quiz

70%
CISSP 2015
Pro
Test
00:20:31
08-May-2016 05:11:12 pm
Complete
Review Quiz

75%
CISSP 2015
Pro
Test
00:19:40
07-May-2016 05:15:51 pm
Complete
Review Quiz

85%
CISSP 2015
Pro
Test
00:19:15
07-May-2016 04:49:02 pm
Complete
Review Quiz

0%
CISSP 2015
Pro
Test
00:00:00
06-May-2016 11:51:33 pm
In Complete
Change quiz status

80%
CISSP 2015
Pro
Test
00:17:36
05-May-2016 08:15:43 pm
Complete
Review Quiz

85%
CISSP 2015
Pro
Test
00:09:40
05-May-2016 07:46:28 pm
Complete
Review Quiz

65%
CISSP 2015
Pro
Test
00:16:16
05-May-2016 07:06:17 pm
Complete
Review Quiz

75%
CISSP 2015
Pro
Test
04:18:00
04-May-2016 06:21:02 pm
Complete
Review Quiz

76%
CISSP 2015
Pro
Test
00:31:20
02-May-2016 09:33:40 pm
Complete
Review Quiz

96%
CISSP 2015
Pro
Test
00:26:32
02-May-2016 08:31:43 pm
Complete
Review Quiz

70%
CISSP 2015
Pro
Test
01:04:28
02-May-2016 07:54:36 pm
Complete
Review Quiz

100%
CISSP 2015
Pro
Test
00:15:32
01-May-2016 09:34:27 pm
Complete
Review Quiz

100%
CISSP 2015
Pro
Test
00:07:22
01-May-2016 09:16:06 pm
Complete
Review Quiz

90%
CISSP 2015
Hard
Test
00:06:48
01-May-2016 09:04:22 pm
Complete
Review Quiz

Exam
I only got about 20 easy questions where I learnt from Cybrary or Sybex. Some of the ares my exam focused on were VPN, Software Development, Federated Identity, Networking, Encryption, a lot of scenario questions, and little bit of everything else. For the amount of time I spent studying for it, I was expecting it to be a little easier but every question was a battle. Even simple questions were complicated even though I knew exactly what the question was referring to. Here is a fictitious example, a simple antivirus question was worded so awkwardly that even you AV expert you still be confused. There were parts of the exam that experience was necessary which I understand but most of it was a word game. I'm sure you guys can since my frustration but honestly it didn't need to that convoluted. Maybe my exam was one of those hard ones..

Advice
At around the 70th question I started to get the feel of the exam. By "feel" I mean looking at the questions in a high level way, holistic way. Most of the time you will have two wrong answers and two right answers, by two right I mean they both can certainly be the answer. Once you start getting the "feel" of the exam, you can pick an answer between the two. That how my exam went, I chose the one that felt right. That being said, the study materials I used didn't particularly help me with a definite answer but it did help with the "feel" and I think that's important. So everything you you study, books, videos and practice exams won't help you much but it sill. :) Like everything else in life, the closer you get to the truth the more paradoxical it becomes. icon_cyclops.gif

In conclusion I thought the exam was unnecessarily convoluted and seemed like an English/IT exam. Quite honestly, I used three different sources to study for this exam and I spent countless hours studying yet there were a lot of question that i'd never seen. Here is a shortcut: Watch the Cybrary series twice along with CBT nuggets videos and take good notes. This will give you some of the answers and most importantly the "feel".

Comments

• Options
    Infosec85Infosec85 Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Here is a fictitious example, a simple antivirus question was worded so awkwardly that even you AV expert you still be confused.

This is something that -many- people have complained about and I have no idea why ISC refuse to listen. SMH...
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    csk007csk007 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats Dude!!!
  • Options
    alfred06alfred06 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congrats,.so you studied 3 months for this? 3hrs a day in weekdays and all day weekend. ALL your hard work paid off :)
  • Options
    protacticusprotacticus Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Bravo mkohi, you made a good post with many useful information. So, you spent about 400 hours (app 8 hours by weekdays) for learning and about 1.000 questions.

Can you estimate which area of exam you are not found in books/video courses but they were largely represented at the exam (cloud, software development, mobile security/embedded systems, risk analysis, OSI model, disaster recovery or PKI)?
    What about tehnical questions and memorization (need to know facts)?

Have a nice sleep ;)
  • Options
    uleghari007@gmail.comuleghari007@gmail.com Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, You did it.
  • Options
    gtsaplgtsapl Member Posts: 12 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass mkohi :) !
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    SeabSeab Member Posts: 127
    Congrats and great advices, thanks!
  • Options
    Bravo mkohi, you made a good post with many useful information. So, you spent about 400 hours (app 8 hours by weekdays) for learning and about 1.000 questions.

Can you estimate which area of exam you are not found in books/video courses but they were largely represented at the exam (cloud, software development, mobile security/embedded systems, risk analysis, OSI model, disaster recovery or PKI)?
    What about tehnical questions and memorization (need to know facts)?

Have a nice sleep ;)

Hello Comrade,

I can't talk specifics for obvious reasons, but the book and videos don't focus on SAML and SSO as much and they should. You should study everything you mentioned, "(cloud, software development, mobile security/embedded systems, risk analysis, OSI model, disaster recovery or PKI)". You might get 1 questions or maximum of 5 on each of those topics but its important because to study those topics because it will give you the "feel". My exam at least was more of an conceptual, English/IT exam. You have to read through the question 3 times and and pick between 2 rights answers. The "feel" will give you the right answer and it's typically the less technical answer.
  • Options
    coffeeisgoodcoffeeisgood Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mkohi wrote: »
    the study materials I used didn't particularly help me...

I hate reading bits like this because it makes me wonder the value of what I am studying....

Over & over I hear you must understand the "concepts" but too often I read statements that much of the test is NOT what was in the study material.

Congrats on the pass. I am sitting this month.
  • Options
    I hate reading bits like this because it makes me wonder the value of what I am studying....

Over & over I hear you must understand the "concepts" but too often I read statements that much of the test is NOT what was in the study material.

Congrats on the pass. I am sitting this month.

It's okay, keep studying your materials. Just remember, when you're taking the exam think on a larger scale and don't pick the technical answer unless its obvious. My exam was hard, hopefully you will get a easier batch. When you're taking the exam you'll think that you'll fail but keep pushing and focus on every single question like your life depends on it. Don't give up just because it's hard.
  • Options
    dbailey007dbailey007 Banned Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    W00t! How much harder do you think it was for you in light of not having a lot of security experience?
  • Options
    jones551jones551 Member Posts: 154 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great Work! I'm studying for my CISSP next year. Let's hope I pass my exam as well :) Anything you can share about the exam?
  • Options
    dbailey007 wrote: »
    W00t! How much harder do you think it was for you in light of not having a lot of security experience?
    I was never a data custodian (lol), It admin, network admin or security admin. I have less than two years of experience but my role here at Intel Security has taught me a lot. We have solutions ranging from simple AV to complicated SIEMs and everything in between. So I have a good general understand of overall security and I had to learn all this quick! It's been a quite an intense learning experience but I like the challenge. I didn't have to take the CISSP but I chose to :) Again, it's true that it is not a technical exam, so my lack of experience wasn't that big of a factor. That being said I studied hard and covered everything on my book. I encourage you guys to study your material, know the models and such, you might see questions regarding Biba and Bella.. You might get a more technical exam than me..
  • Options
    CyberSecurityCyberSecurity Member Posts: 85 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Awesome! Congrats! I'm passing this on to some people I work with as a strategy
    Ph.D. IT [UC] - 50% complete
    M.S.C.I.A. [WGU] - Completed 6/2018
    B.S.I.T.M. [WGU] - Completed 4/2017
  • Options
    havoc64havoc64 Member Posts: 213 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    How do I know what exactly I scored?
  • Options
    faris1faris1 Member Posts: 13 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on passing the exam. Did you do any course or just self study?
  • Options
    Swimfan2516Swimfan2516 Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    faris1faris1 Member Posts: 13 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats again for your success! I'm currently going through official CISSP prep book and planned to take the exam in 3 months time. Do you think it worth taking a course which cost over £5,000.00 and it will cost me weeks pay as a contractor.
  • Options
    SeabSeab Member Posts: 127
    Hi Faris,

Depends how much you value your time ;)
    Studying for CISSP is very, very time consuming. I know people that did the 1week boot camp and passed, with mostly only that week of training and Info Sec experience of course. If you go that way, you need to ensure of the reputation of the instructor, post his/her name here, maybe people could give you some feedback. Some are famous and magically makes all their students pass! If you go that way prepare to give up your life for that week, nothing than studying all evening after class, etc.

This being said, I think a one-week training is a fantastic thing for adding the title to your name or on Linked in, but you will probably forget everything the week after. I don't think a one-week training versus a self study for 3-6 months have the same value. Self study will bring you way more personally and professionally, but with important sacrifices. Plus, for a fraction of the price, you can have a self-pace class or video that would bring similar knowledges or even for free : Cybrary.it is one of the best resources, the lessons are great, and free a rare thing these days.

Most of the people will combine Sybex or Eric Conrad CISSP, with Cybrary videos ( x2 ), CCCure questions and personal notes. It seems to be one of the best path according to people here.
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Because of your experience, I assume you can only be Associate of ISC2?icon_confused.gif:
  • Options
    webpriestesswebpriestess Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Whoo hoo! Good for you! Are you still doing a victory dance?? :D
  • Options
    faris1 wrote: »
    Congrats again for your success! I'm currently going through official CISSP prep book and planned to take the exam in 3 months time. Do you think it worth taking a course which cost over £5,000.00 and it will cost me weeks pay as a contractor.

I don't know how well these courses are, maybe someone who has taking a course should chime in. Personally, there are tons of other resources out there for free or cheap.
  • Options
    Remedymp wrote: »
    Because of your experience, I assume you can only be Associate of ISC2?icon_confused.gif:

Correct.