Options

External HD Storage?

ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
I wanted to know what is the best thing to use for storage... I am looking to store music, movies, pictures, home videos, and family photos on my drive and I want to access it from a friends home, or a family's home. I was looking into the WD My cloud... or looking into a NAS setup. I also have a old computer my parents gave me that I can configure and maybe run Windows Server 2008? The main function I want is to access anywhere, and not have to remote into my PC to get the photos. I also want to be able to take a photo on my phone and maybe send it to the device or offload it when I return home.
In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
“The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Depends exactly what you want but have you looked into Plex? It's a media server you can access from anywhere. I use it to play movies to all my Rokus and Chromecasts but have Apps on mobile devices to access content away from the house. You can just setup a box and put in a couple TBs of storage for cheap and you're good to go.
  • Options
    fitzlopezfitzlopez Member Posts: 103 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a QNAP running PLEX and a couple other modules, it has worked pretty good updates often. The great thing about it is that I don't have to configure it much. I've read that Synology is a tad better. My next rig will probably be a linux or windows server, maybe a miniITX board. I've probably reached the limits of what my QNAP can do.
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Im going to look into Plex. I really want to make sure I can access from wherever I am. That is the main function I need
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios