Options

CISSP journey about to begin - a few questions if I may

PenguPengu Member Posts: 46 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone, about to start studying for this cert and I am spending a few days planning my approach. Hopefully you guys can answer a few questions.

1. I realise I am going to have to buy a few books along the way but which one would you recommend to read first? CISSP for dummies is tempting - it is cheap and it appears to be the latest book out (Apr 16)

2. Also, although I generally like to buy paper books to add to my tech library I think that these weighty tomes will be a burden to take on journeys so I am going to buy the Kindle versions. Do they still come with the question packs that you sometimes get on CDs?

3. Are there any iPad study apps that are of use? the App Store throws up quite a few CISSP apps

4. How the hell do you pronounce CISSP? one guy at work (who does have the cert) pronounces it "SISP" while the security head (probably has it, but I have never asked) spells it out.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Options
    SeabSeab Member Posts: 127
    Hi Pengu,

I heard that cissp for dummies possibly doesn't cover 100%, but something like 85%. I wouldn't use it at my only source and mix it with Sybex or Cissp form Eric Conrad or some solid video training, and questions.

Questions should be accessible. I am looking to buy the kobo version, I'll let you know if I find out.

Yeah, I use to say c i s s p, some people says it like a word, I don't really like it. Guess do as you wish or start a poll !
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    1. The Sybex book seems to be the current go-to book.
    2. Dunno that one
    3. There is an official app as well as Quizlet.
    4 Official reference for the British interpretation: https://youtu.be/whEWE6WC1Ew
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Make this one of your study sources:

https://www.cybrary.it/

It's free. And the training is high quality.
  • Options
    coffeeisgoodcoffeeisgood Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    To not get the "CISSP" official study guide just seems silly....

often referred to as the "Sybex 7th edition" or "official study guide"

CISSP (ISC)2 Certified Information Systems Security Professional Official Study Guide 7th Edition

by James M. Stewart (Author), Mike Chapple (Author), Darril Gibson (Author)

I personally really like Eric Conrad's 3rd Edition guide but I did read it after reading the official guide above

CISSP Study Guide, Third Edition 3rd Edition
    by Eric Conrad (Author), Seth Misenar (Author), Joshua Feldman (Author)

& you should put this updated large study guide coming out soon on your radar
    often referred to as the "AIO"

CISSP All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition 7th Edition
    by Shon Harris (Author), Fernando Maymi (Author)

also purchasing
    CCCure question bank is very common
    https://www.freepracticetests.org

& as the above poster mentioned, Cybrary.it videos
    https://www.cybrary.it/

as for the iPad study apps... I used the Sybex 7th official questions, which were the same as the books. I purchased hard copies of the books but put .pdf versions in dropbox & on my iPad as well. Hard copies + .pdf's were cheaper than just eBooks, go figure.
  • Options
    Thanks guys thats a lot of food for thought. I am leaning towards the Sybex book to start with. I just read that it's partly authored by Darril Gibson, I used his book for Security+ last year and I liked the way that was presented. I will explore other resources in time.

I am normally slightly disorganised with my studying and I am aware that I will have to tighten up my note taking for this exam. Usually I read a chapter and then go other it again taking notes with a pencil and sheets of paper, no more than 5 sheets per chapter. I might have to explore a different approach with this exam.
  • Options
    alfred06alfred06 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey Pengu,

also add in CBT NUGGET CISSP VIDEO that "mkohi who passed about an hour ago on his post" used. I am currently doing CBT and Cybrary to start off till I get the books I ordered.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    1. Buy the official study guide (and probably the CBK for long term reference), also maybe 11th hour CISSP.

2. Why not get both? Usually the kindle versions don't come with the extras but some books come with an E version.

3. Didn't really use any but ISC2 has an app that is decent...it only has so many questions.

4. Either is fine.
  • Options
    havoc64havoc64 Member Posts: 213 ■■□□□□□□□□
    LOL, Let me quote what I have said in other threads...

There are a TON of other post on what people have used to pass the exam within this forum. And a lot of great advice. But in light of this, I will still post what I did. Below is a list of what I used, my study habits and my test method. I passed the exam the first week of this November.

Books and study Material in order of my purchase and reading.
    (ISC)2 Official CBK - Hardest book I have ever read, so much fluff..
    CISSP Study Guide, 2E by Eric Conrad
    CISSP Study Guide 11th Hour by Eric Conrad
    **CCCure Practice Exam
    CCCure Review Notes
    **Transcender Practice Exams
    Sunflower Review Notes
    **(ISC)2 Official Study Guide 7th Edition - Sybex
    **Cybrary CISSP videos and MP3s.
    **Combined Notes from here
    **Quizlet (ISC)2 Official Flash Cards (These are free and are the exact same flash cards they gave us at the class)
    **Official (ISC)2 Traning Guide CISSP CBK - Official Training Guide from the class.

I read them all, cover to cover. The ones with the ** are what I think were most beneficial to my passing the exam. With the class I believe this is what helped me pass.

My study habits. From April to around August, I studied now and then, when I had time, mostly reading the Official CBK. From August until the Test, I studied for about 4-6 hours a day. If I had a break at work, in line for lunch and then 2-3 hours a night at home. I only took Sundays off.

When I took the exam, it took me 4 Hours and 44 minutes to complete. For each question I read the answers first. Then read the question. Then read the question again and used my finger to point out the Adverbs and Adjectives. Then looked at the answers again. I first eliminated the obvious answers that did not match the Adverbs or Adjectives. Then made an educated Selection of the remaining answers. If I wasn't 75% sure of my selection, I flagged the question.

After my first pass, I took a break, went to the restroom, drank a bottle of water and ate a granola bar. Then I reviewed my flagged questions, about 50 of them. I actually changed 11 of the answers, but only changed them if I was 100%. Those that I changed I either selected wrong the first time or the answers were identified by other questions in the exam.

YOU HAVE TO HAVE A MANAGEMENT MINDSET WHEN YOU TAKE THE TEST.

I cannot stress this enough. If you take the test with a Technician or Engineer mindset...it's not going to work. CISSP is a Management Certification, not a SSCP or Security +.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    Thanks, I will take a look at those resources.

Started on the Sybex book at the weekend. Took the assessment test and scored 70% as there was a few things on there that I did not recognise. Book seems a little dry to start with, I guess I will have to plough through it. 1000+ pages!
  • Options
    SeabSeab Member Posts: 127
    Pengu wrote: »
    Book seems a little dry to start with, I guess I will have to plough through it. 1000+ pages!

There is a full post about the dryness of that book : [h=3]Sybex 7th Edition - Dry For Anyone Else? Losing My Confidence![/h]
    Enjoy ;)

It is not that bad really, it is the best & most complete ressource that most people use for the exam.