Options

Unable to install MS SQL Server 2014 Enterprise (after random crash)

illmortalizedillmortalized Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Good morning/afternoon ladies and gents!

So I'm in a bit of a bind, last night I started the installation of MS SQL 2014 Enterprise onto MS Server 2012 R2 (test lab).
The installation phase I was in was the prerequisite check, simply it was making sure everything was configured/installed/updated and ready to install MS SQL.

Right at the end of the check list, it finds that .NET 3.5 is not installed. So obviously can't install it yet. I then check to see if there's any roles I can add that would add .NET 3.5 and also be beneficial in the future. Otherwise, if not, I could simply just download .NET 3.5 from Microsoft.

Only role I see is remote desktop (off memory, verbiage could be off), which does include .NET 3.5

I select it, go through the sections and start the installation of it.

Computer decides to freeze, crash, and reboot.

Thinking worst case I'll have to remove and re-add the Remote Desktop role then I can re-run MS SQL, successfully pass the prerequisite check list, and finally install it.

Nope. Installed the role. No problem.

Go to the source location of MS SQL to install it, double click, "Setup.exe"

CMD prompt flashes, nothing happens after. (I've seen this before with proprietary software that depended on Java for example or Oracle 10/11g.

I figured, well more than likely something from MS SQL has installed onto my workstation. Nope. Not a single MS SQL related file/folder in all of C: drive could be found. Not a single trace of MS SQL.

Which means that this tut to fix it, doesn't pertain to me:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqljourney/2012/05/07/sql-20082008-r220122014-setup-disappearsfails-when-installing-setup-support-files/

I'm pretty much dead in the water. Not sure if there's registry items/keys, CCleaner couldn't find anything (assuming it would find broken registry keys).

I'm thinking the only option I have is to create a new Server 2012 VM dedicated to MS SQL. While my actual physical server stays partially broken, at least incapable of installing MS SQL.

Anyone have any thoughts/ideas?

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Antivirus on? Disable it while installing, see if that helps. Reinstall and also check admin status..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Antivirus on? Disable it while installing, see if that helps. Reinstall and also check admin status..
    Interestingly.. I've tried with my "administrator" on the domain.
    As well as my other user account on the domain which also has admin rights.

I can install pretty much anything, or have been at least.. not sure why it would have changed after the crash/reboot.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I know, but on our servers at work, there are times we have to do a right click to run as admin, even though we are logged in as such.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    I know, but on our servers at work, there are times we have to do a right click to run as admin, even though we are logged in as such.

Will try again.. I believe I used elevated CMD prompt when I attempted to install through command prompt. Which gave no output.
  • Options
    Yeah elevated cmd prompt fails as well as executing setup.exe with admin rights.

I also, out of curiosity attempted to install MSSQL 2012, it does exactly the same thing.
  • Options
    After stripping everything out of registry with "SQL", decided I'll back up my VMs and just re-install Server 2012 R2.

Lesson learned.. MSSQL goes onto a VM, never placing it into my physical machine again lol