Options

New Versions for CCENT/CCNA

pearljampearljam Member Posts: 134

Comments

• Options
    Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ugh, and i had my 100-101 scheduled for October 27th icon_evil.gif. Guess i'll have to take the new version.
    Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill
  • Options
    CertifiedMonkeyCertifiedMonkey Member Posts: 172 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This explains why it pro.tv is recording a new CCENT series on the 18th. I had a hunch that a new version would be released, but I was hoping that it wasn't true.

P.S. You can watch It pro.tv live streams with a free account. If they are covering the new exam on the 18th then we should tune in and check out what's new.
  • Options
    GDainesGDaines Member Posts: 273 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If I'm reading it correctly I can take 100-101 (ICND1) and then 200-105 if I miss the deadline for 200-101 (ICND2) right? And I assume if I fail the first exam and pass the deadline I'll have to take the new version?

I've struggled to balance the requirement for me to actively look for work along with a demanding wife and young child wanting family time with studying for my CCNA, and when I got myself a few months work I spent even less time studying, so hopefully this is the hurry-up I need as it gives me some deadlines to work to.
  • Options
    TechytachTechytach Member Posts: 140
    are the new exams always harder?

I am about to take icnd2 in the next month. I should chose v2 over v3?
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Son of a gun, I better get on this fast!
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
    danny069 wrote: »
    Son of a gun, I better get on this fast!
    Ditto, I wasn't planning on taking this for some time (maybe even next year) but if they are changing it I'll knuckle down and take it. I've already got the books and videos.
  • Options
    4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    The new exam is very similar to the old one. I only see some changes to the WAN technologies. They also added switch stacking and EtherChannel.
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• Options
    dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
    4_lom wrote: »
    The new exam is very similar to the old one. I only see some changes to the WAN technologies. They also added switch stacking and EtherChannel.

The CCNA R&S certification has been updated to meet these latest shifts in technologies. Key updates include:
    • Awareness of Programmable Network (SDN) architectures and the separation of control plane and data plane
    • Expanded VPN topics to include DMVPN, Site-to-Site VPN, and Client VPN technologies
    • Increased focus on IPv6 routing protocols, configuration, and knowledge
    • Understanding of Cloud resources deployed in Enterprise network architectures
    • Knowledge of QoS concepts. Including marking, shaping, and policing mechanisms to manage congestion of various types of traffic
  • Options
    zzyzzzzyzz Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For the ICND2 it looks like they removed Frame Relay and serial links. But added single-homed eBGP and SDN.
  • Options
    SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    Very surprised to see QoS and BGP in the new syllabus however i'm very glad to see that Frame Relay has gone.

Looks like I need to do some reading up on QoS as it'll soon be expected within industry to have at least a base knowledge.
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle
  • Options
    MicronewbMicronewb Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Knew it!!! A month ago I saw a site saying they updated the exam. Dam this sucks I bought the INE series 3 weeks ago.
  • Options
    MicronewbMicronewb Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Oh nvm I have till September to give it a try. Plenty of time.
  • Options
    Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    CCNA to include BGP and QoS? Pretty cool. Any idea on the new content releases in terms of books and training material?

Edit: Looks like Wendell Odom already wrote them, should go on sale this week.
  • Options
    CertifiedMonkeyCertifiedMonkey Member Posts: 172 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Params7 wrote: »
    Any idea on the new content releases in terms of books and training material?

Thankfully Wendell Odom will be covering the new exams. He said that the new ICND1 book will be available within the next couple of days and the ICND2 will be available by early July.

Source: Cisco Revs CCNA R&S Cert (V3.0); Leans Forward | Wendell's CCNA Skills Blog
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Looking at the composite exams, the new exam:
    -reduces subnetting
    -removes frame relay
    -more Etherchannel
    -adds Stacking
    -looks more heavy on multi-area ospf
    -looks more heavy on ipv6
    -adds QoS
    -possibly less ACL
    -removes FHRP (don't remember seeing this on the old exam)
    -troubleshooting weighted differently
    -adds eBGP

edit:
    I guess some subnetting may still exist, but seems like a much smaller part of the test with only
    1.9 Configure, verify, and troubleshoot IPv4 addressing and subnetting
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Params7 wrote: »
    CCNA to include BGP and QoS? Pretty cool. Any idea on the new content releases in terms of books and training material?

That is interesting given that they have either reduced (CCNP: Collaboration) or completely removed (CCNP: R&S) QoS from the CCNP level exams. I was just reading that section in the CCIE: R&S OCG. At the CCNA level, I cannot imagine expecting anything more than a basic knowledge of the difference between ToS, DSCP, and CoS, and possibly how to configure AutoQoS. As for BGP, I never saw any reason that they couldn't include Basic eBGP on the CCNA. Other than a few quirks and the use of the oddball term "Network Layer Reachability Information (NLRI)" instead of just saying "Prefix", it really isn't too different than any other routing protocol (except IS-IS which is just plain difficult to grasp due to all the OSI/CLNS relics).

SDN and Cloud Computing were recently added to the CCIE Written and I am not surprised to see them working their way down. What does surprise me is that they are updating the CCNA so soon. It hasn't even been 3 years. The last version was out for 6 years (2007-2013). I don't think they've had an interval between CCNA: R&S updates anywhere near this short, unless you count the "update" where they added Simulations to the exam (My understanding is the exam topics stayed the same).
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    Priston wrote: »
    -removes subnetting

This would be truly shocking. Perhaps, they are just going to work it into the other questions.
    -removes frame relay

Good riddance
    -adds Etherchannel

I thought they added that in the 2013 update.

These were added to the exam topics in 2013.
  • Options
    sferg410sferg410 Member Posts: 129
    I was just about to buy a lab for CCNA which included a 2520 Frame Relay, do i not need this now?
  • Options
    Joedoc164Joedoc164 Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm just glad to see that they are letting you take either 200-101 or 200-105 if you already have your CCENT.
    Bachelors of Science: Information Technology
    Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1 BVC1, CLC1, DHV1
    Completed: WFV1, AXV1, CPV1, DFV1, MGC1, CTV1, CUV1, BOV1, BNC1 RIT1, TPV1, COV1, CJV1, C169, C480, C436, C435, C697, C698 :cheers:
    To Be Completed:
    In Progress:

• Options
    theodoxa wrote: »
    SDN and Cloud Computing were recently added to the CCIE Written and I am not surprised to see them working their way down. What does surprise me is that they are updating the CCNA so soon. It hasn't even been 3 years. The last version was out for 6 years (2007-2013). I don't think they've had an interval between CCNA: R&S updates anywhere near this short, unless you count the "update" where they added Simulations to the exam (My understanding is the exam topics stayed the same).
    I'm surprised by the quick revision too. Perhaps testiment to the networking field evolving at a quicker pace. Hopefully this one stays active for at least 3 years, now that they got the SDN/Cloud stuff in.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    theodoxa wrote: »
    This would be truly shocking. Perhaps, they are just going to work it into the other questions.
    Sorry, I missed 1.9 Configure, verify, and troubleshoot IPv4 addressing and subnetting.

Definitely reduced subnetting though.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    pearljampearljam Member Posts: 134
    I literally just got my CCENT Saturday. If I don't pass the 200-101 by the deadline do I have to start all over?
  • Options
    DollarhydeDollarhyde Member Posts: 111
    pearljam wrote: »
    I literally just got my CCENT Saturday. If I don't pass the 200-101 by the deadline do I have to start all over?
    You do not have to take 200-101 you can also take 200-105 after the deadline and it will still be valid.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Priston wrote: »
    Looking at the composite exams, the new exam:
    -reduces subnetting
    -removes frame relay
    -more Etherchannel
    -adds Stacking
    -looks more heavy on multi-area ospf
    -looks more heavy on ipv6
    -adds QoS
    -possibly less ACL
    -troubleshooting weighted differently
    -adds eBGP

edit:
    I guess some subnetting may still exist, but seems like a much smaller part of the test with only
    1.9 Configure, verify, and troubleshoot IPv4 addressing and subnetting

What is stacking?
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    DollarhydeDollarhyde Member Posts: 111
    mikeybinec wrote: »
    What is stacking?

Stacking 3750s with StackWise ports connected with an appropriate cable
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    satishtechsatishtech Member Posts: 243
    Asking the same questions again,sorry.

So if I pass the 100-101 I can take the 200-105 ?
  • Options
    satishtech wrote: »
    Asking the same questions again,sorry.

So if I pass the 100-101 I can take the 200-105 ?

As said before, yes! For those who already have their CCENT, there's a few months still left to register for and pass 200-101 ICND2 exam and get your CCNA, or you may just give the 200-105 ICND2 exam if you feel up to it.
  • Options
    sferg410 wrote: »
    I was just about to buy a lab for CCNA which included a 2520 Frame Relay, do i not need this now?

No. Without Frame Relay, I cannot think of anything you would need Serial for except HDLC/PPP and that can be labbed with a single connection between two routers with a WIC-1T or WIC-1DSU-T1-V2. This changes what would be required lab wise. You would no longer need a router specifically to use as a Frame Relay switch. So, now 3 routers would probably be sufficient for CCNA.
  • Options
    Removed from ICND1:

● OSPF (Moved to ICND2)
    ● Cisco Express Forwarding (CEF)

Removed from ICND2:

● Frame Relay
    ● Serial WAN Technologies
    ● VRRP and GLBP (ICND2 will only cover HSRP)

Added to ICND1:

● 1.3 Describe the impact of Firewalls, Access Points, and Wireless Controllers in an enterprise network
    ● 1.4 Compare and contrast collapsed core and three-tier architectures
    ● 1.13 Configure and verify IPv6 Stateless Address Auto Configuration
    ● 1.14 Compare and contrast IPv6 address types (added Anycast)
    ● 2.2 Interpret Ethernet frame format
    ● 2.5 Configure, verify, and troubleshoot LLDP
    ● 2.7 Configure, verify, and troubleshoot port security (Added Err-disable recovery)
    ● 3.6 Configure, verify, and troubleshoot IPv4 and IPv6 static routing (Added Floating Static Routes*)
    ● 3.7 Configure, verify, and troubleshoot RIPv2 for IPv4 (excluding authentication, filtering, manual summarization, redistribution)
    ● 4.2 Troubleshoot client connectivity issues involving DNS
    ● 4.3 Configure and verify DHCP on a router (excluding static reservations)(Added DHCP Relay)
    ● 5.1 Configure and verify device-monitoring using syslog
    ● 5.2 Configure and verify device management (Added Backup and restore device configuration, Using LLDP for device discovery, Logging, Timezone, and Loopback)
    ● 5.4 Configure, verify, and troubleshoot basic device hardening (Added Local authentication and Access to device - Source address)
    ● 5.5.a Perform Cisco IOS upgrades and recovery (SCP, FTP, TFTP, and MD5 verify)
    ● 5.5.b Perform Password recovery and configuration register
    ● 5.5.c Perform File system management
    ● 5.6 Use Cisco IOS tools to troubleshoot and resolve problems (Ping and traceroute with extended options, Terminal monitor, Log events)

Added to ICND2:

● 1.2b Configure, verify, and troubleshoot VTPv1&VTPv2 (They were removed in the 2013 update.)
    ● 1.4b Configure, verify, and troubleshoot BPDU guard
    ● 1.6 Describe the benefits of switch stacking and chassis aggregation
    ● 1.7.a Describe 802.1x
    ● 1.7.b Describe DHCP snooping
    ● 1.7.c Describe Nondefault native VLAN
    ● 3.1 Configure and verify PPP and MLPPP on WAN interfaces using local authentication
    ● 3.2 Configure, verify, and troubleshoot PPPoE client-side interfaces using local authentication
    ● 3.3 Configure, verify, and troubleshoot GRE tunnel connectivity
    ● 3.4 Describe WAN topology options (Point-to-point, Hub and spoke, Full mesh, Single vs dual-homed)
    ● 3.5 Describe Broadband PPPoE and Internet VPN (DMVPN, site-to-site VPN, client VPN)
    ● 3.6 Configure and verify single-homed branch connectivity using eBGP IPv4 (limited to peering and route advertisement using Network command only)
    ● 4.2 Describe the effects of cloud resources on enterprise network architecture (Traffic path to internal and external cloud services, Virtual services, and Basic virtual network infrastructure)
    ● 4.3 Describe basic QoS concepts (Marking, Device trust, Voice/Video/Data Prioritization, Shaping, Policing, and Congestion management
    ● 4.5 Verify ACLs using the APIC-EM Path Trace ACL analysis tool
    ● 5.1 Configure and verify SNMPv2 and SNMPv3
    ● 5.2 Troubleshoot network connectivity issues using ICMP echo-based IP SLA
    ● 5.3 Use local SPAN to troubleshoot and resolve problems
    ● 5.4 Describe device management using AAA with TACACS+ and RADIUS
    ● 5.5 Describe network programmability in enterprise network architecture (Function of a controller, Separation of control plane and data plane, and Northbound and southbound APIs)

It looks like they took parts of CCNP SWITCH and moved them to ICND2 as well as adding SDN and Cloud Computing. FHRPs were reduced to only covering HSRP. Serial WAN appears to have been removed entirely. So, now one could cover 100% of CCNA Routing topics using CSR-1000V (either by itself or using VIRL). They would still need physical switches, though.