Options

websites for govenment jobs

ChevelChevel Member Posts: 211 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have a clearance and I don't want to lose it. So I'm looking for more IT government jobs. Do any of you know of some sites to look at. I tried USA jobs but getting in the system is impossible. I live in VA and don't mind commuting if need be, wouldn't be the first time I did it.

Comments

• Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    wolfinsheepsclothingwolfinsheepsclothing Member Posts: 155
    clearedconnections.com
    clearedjobs.net
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If you are in Virginia any site will probably yield results...
  • Options
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    If you are in Virginia any site will probably yield results...

Its hit or miss that's why I asked specifically.

Thanks all again in my post I know of USA jobs but that's a time waster. Was looking at other sites that I may not have known about and I didn't.
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Quantico
    Navy Yard
    Pentagon
    Ft Belvoir
    Dice.com
    Clearancejobs.gov

And you are in Virginia.... Check out govt places just google it. Most govt jobs take awhile to get, so if you don't want to loose the clearance get a contractor position then apply for a govt civilian job.... that is how most people get in.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    CyberSecurityCyberSecurity Member Posts: 85 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey, I also live in VA and we're looking for IT guys with clearances. Check out my company Careers - ISHPI
    If you're interested in something PM me and we'll talk from there
    Ph.D. IT [UC] - 50% complete
    M.S.C.I.A. [WGU] - Completed 6/2018
    B.S.I.T.M. [WGU] - Completed 4/2017
  • Options
    Also Indian Head MD is a govt facility. The best thing to do is go on careerbuilder and apply for jobs that way. there are also a lot of jobs on monster.com that require clearances....
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    Wow thank you guys!

I would like to get a permanent job in the civil service/gov but getting in is next to impossible. Job security is less in a contracting role but at least I can get a job lol.
  • Options
    Chevel wrote: »
    Wow thank you guys!

I would like to get a permanent job in the civil service/gov but getting in is next to impossible. Job security is less in a contracting role but at least I can get a job lol.

I worked for a contractor who directly supported gov inside of a gov building and showed them my abilities. Within 2 months of working there I was offered a Gov position. A lot of these positions require certifications though and depending on where you work depends on what cert you need. Some require the cert prior to starting, others require the cert within like 6 months or something. Depending on your location and certifications, I may be able to assist.
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    Direct gov't jobs afaik HAS to be posted on usajobs. And it's fairly easy to get the interviews. Just follow the job postings. Make sure you include in your resume everything listed on the job postings. When you fill out the questions if you don't answer with the most agreeable response you likely won't be considered for the position. For example there are options A-E with E being the most qualified:

Develop Information Technology policy training for a variety of audiences.

E. I am considered an expert in performing this task. I have supervised performance of this task or am normally the person who is consulted by other workers to assist them in doing this task because of my expertise.

If you answered C or D you may still be "qualified" for the position. However the applications are graded by "most qualified" and the 15 other people who answered all Es whether or not they actually qualified based on those answers will get their Resumes forwarded on for actual review and yours gets ignore by the computer system.

At least that is my understanding of how USAJobs works.
  • Options
    TomkoTech wrote: »

I agree. Blatant honesty on these can be crippling. Here you could be the most qualified candidate but someone who isn't nearly as qualified puts "I'm an Expert" on all choices and gets selected over you... It is a flawed system but I hear they are working on it.

Basically if everyone puts "I'm an Expert" my question would be, what then? Do they review every single applicant that did that and then sort it out? I'd love to get to talk with one of the screeners on this and see their take.
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Chevel, I did the contracting thing for years, and unless you have prior military preference or get really lucky...it's not going to happen. You can look at excepted service positions as well, although you don't get the same benefits or protection as a GS would get you.

When setting up a usajobs resume. Make sure that you do NOT put in bullet points for your job description. Just combine them into a paragraph. I had over 10 yrs exp working for various gov't agencies and got out not too long ago. Best decision I ever made. Do yourself a favor, if you have only a Secret, stop drinking the "kool aid" and get out now.
  • Options
    I worked for a contractor who directly supported gov inside of a gov building and showed them my abilities. Within 2 months of working there I was offered a Gov position. A lot of these positions require certifications though and depending on where you work depends on what cert you need. Some require the cert prior to starting, others require the cert within like 6 months or something. Depending on your location and certifications, I may be able to assist.

That's great for you I'm happy that happened to you. I have certifications and even obtained more than what most people in government would get, in fact I was told by my peers to "stop getting certifications" and " it won't matter." While I do agree that it seems education triumphs in the government sector for my sake I will not stop obtaining more certifications. However these are the same people that say they won't get any more certifications unless the government forces them to. SMH. I like to be content too but I like to be marketable if that makes sense? I'm willing to move too unlike most.

As of I have my Sec+, MCITP, CCENT, CCNA, and currently working on finishing my server 2008. ( I'm only one exam away from getting server 200icon_cool.gif Then I will take the upgraded exam for 2012.
  • Options
    Direct gov't jobs afaik HAS to be posted on usajobs. And it's fairly easy to get the interviews. Just follow the job postings. Make sure you include in your resume everything listed on the job postings. When you fill out the questions if you don't answer with the most agreeable response you likely won't be considered for the position. For example there are options A-E with E being the most qualified:

Develop Information Technology policy training for a variety of audiences.

E. I am considered an expert in performing this task. I have supervised performance of this task or am normally the person who is consulted by other workers to assist them in doing this task because of my expertise.

If you answered C or D you may still be "qualified" for the position. However the applications are graded by "most qualified" and the 15 other people who answered all Es whether or not they actually qualified based on those answers will get their Resumes forwarded on for actual review and yours gets ignore by the computer system.

I must not be doing something right then. In the 5 years I've tried applying I've not been able to land a single interview. :/ Maybe I'm too honest. I rarely select "E" unless I know the position forwards and backwards.
  • Options
    kiki162 wrote: »
    Chevel, I did the contracting thing for years, and unless you have prior military preference or get really lucky...it's not going to happen. You can look at excepted service positions as well, although you don't get the same benefits or protection as a GS would get you.

When setting up a usajobs resume. Make sure that you do NOT put in bullet points for your job description. Just combine them into a paragraph. I had over 10 yrs exp working for various gov't agencies and got out not too long ago. Best decision I ever made. Do yourself a favor, if you have only a Secret, stop drinking the "kool aid" and get out now.

Lol and see I went to and saw someone who has been in the GS and just recently received an interview for a GS 14 ( start date pending) told me not to put paragraphs in my resume and make bullets keeping it short. I feel a Rod Stewart coming on yeah " Some guys have all the luck!" 8D

I just don't like being stressed around contracting times every year its the same thing.
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    Chevel wrote: »
    I must not be doing something right then. In the 5 years I've tried applying I've not been able to land a single interview. :/ Maybe I'm too honest. I rarely select "E" unless I know the position forwards and backwards.

That's the problem. I've had 5-6 interviews for positions I applied for, and everyone one was either because I am a status candidate which bumps my "most qualified" above those that aren't, or it was because I could honestly select "E" responses to their questions. I won't violate my own integrity for the sake of landing a job, but I believe a lot of people do which is why I typically get the canned response email of:

Based on your response to the questionnaire, you were found to be eligible but not among the best qualified. Therefore, your name will not be referred to the hiring official at this time.

Thank you for your interest in INSERT FEDERAL AGENCY
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Same with me. I never rate myself a 10 on anything, EVER, because I feel there is always room for improvement. I don't try to BS my way through interviews. If I don't know or haven't done something then I tell them that. I feel my honesty has cost me many opportunities. Maybe if I stretched the truth a little I would be much further ahead in my career but I would rather sleep well at night.
  • Options
    That's the problem. I've had 5-6 interviews for positions I applied for, and everyone one was either because I am a status candidate which bumps my "most qualified" above those that aren't, or it was because I could honestly select "E" responses to their questions. I won't violate my own integrity for the sake of landing a job, but I believe a lot of people do which is why I typically get the canned response email of:

Based on your response to the questionnaire, you were found to be eligible but not among the best qualified. Therefore, your name will not be referred to the hiring official at this time.

Thank you for your interest in INSERT FEDERAL AGENCY

:D I know that response all to well.
  • Options
    There are also non govt jobs that you can get that require a clearance... you just have to look.
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've had a few opps for GS jobs, but unfortunately the powers that be (GS-13+) decided they wanted to use that money for hiring friends and using for other stupid projects. I believe that GS got her hand slapped for that one, but due to all of the laws that protect GS employees...she wasn't going anywhere.

The last government job interview I went on, I had a phone interview, and then 2 in persons. After about a week, they had come back with an offer just shy of $100K at the upper end of a GS-12. When I initially apply for that job, the wording in the job description sounded like I could work from home for a few days during the week. Come to find out after the last interview, that wasn't the case. I couldn't take the job due to family scheduling.
  • Options
    GessGess Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When applying for my current position I put in 51 applications, accepted 4 interviews, and was tendered one offer. If you want it you'll have to do some legwork.

Which is a little more difficult now because it seems like USAJobs was redesigned for kids on tablets instead of adults that use real computers.
  • Options
    @kiki162 Yeah that sounds familiar.....smh. I've heard similar situations before.

@Gess what do you mean by "legwork" if its moving like I mentioned before in my previous I have no problems with moving. I'm just tired of going through the same song and dance.