Options

Tier 1 NOC Tech job

jose258510jose258510 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
First, I want to say that if you haven't landed an IT job yet keep trying because an opportunity will actually come up. It took me quite sometime to finally land an IT job without the experience. Now, as an educational background I have a AA in CIS/Network Engeneering. My AA also included the Cisco Network Academy package course that eventually helped me get the knowledge and lab practice so I can get cisco certified. I hold an active CCNA and plan on getting my CCNP.
I took an electronics sales associate job with hhgregg (lasted 3yrs) after I got my AA, I remember applying to a handful of IT companies but it was like hitting a brick wall. Reached out to IT temp agencies but weren't of much help without having the experience under my belt.
Since early summer of 2015 , I started looking at IT jobs around my area and started applying and sending resumes to numerous companies, the search for an IT job was non stop. Job sites like indeed.com, careerbuilder.com, monster.com, dice.com, etc defenitely made job searching a lot easier. Around the 5th month I got a couple of interviews finally but lead me no where. I got an offer for IT job contract for 4mo. only, declined the offer. Beginning 2016 I took a job as a Customer Service Representative for a Utility company (Non-IT job). I know that my options in the IT job market was limited to a Help Desk or IT support job role. So I continued my IT job hunt so come April of 2016 I finally landed a job for Network Support Help Desk, after a 2nd interview process. A couple weeks after I recieved another IT job offer for NOC Technician and after the interview the company was ready to hire me.
I want to add that in the IT industry you're more than likely going to start from the bottom up. So I was aware that I wouldn't be able to land a job as a Network Engineer right away, but instead start somewhere at the Help Desk level or Network Support entry level. However, I strongly recommend getting certified, it's a plus in the IT industry regardless what other people say.
Alright so I took the job as NOC because I eventually would like to become a Network Engineer. After reviewing a few post online on which direction to take I realized that having a job as a NOC would open a door into my Network Engineering career goal.
An NOC Technician Tier 1 job is a helpdesk job, L1 troubleshooting, opening and closing tickets, etc.. A NOC it's the middle man between the company and the ISP. The NOC Co. monitors the internet for circuits/clients under its account.
NOC job escalation:
Tier 1 NOC Tech
Tier 2 NOC Tech
NOC Engineer

Feel free to ask questions ?

Comments

• Options
    johnnyqt25johnnyqt25 Banned Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats man. I'm also looking for a NOC job too. I have 6 years doing desktop support and should get my CCNA by the end of the month and start applying.
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats dude!
    jose258510 wrote: »
    NOC job escalation:
    Tier 1 NOC Tech
    Tier 2 NOC Tech
    NOC Engineer
    Do you mean this is defined progression path in the company? Did they mention requirements you need to meet before getting promoted to each level?
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    jose258510jose258510 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes that's the path and will provide details on requirements needed for next Tier promotion . In matter of yrs from T1 to T2 could be 2yrs.
    I'm learning things as I go since there's not a training platform in place which makes this job more exciting.
  • Options
    Bjcheung77Bjcheung77 Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jose258510 wrote: »
    Yes that's the path and will provide details on requirements needed for next Tier promotion . In matter of yrs from T1 to T2 could be 2yrs.
    I'm learning things as I go since there's not a training platform in place which makes this job more exciting.

That's awesome, exactly what I will be doing to improve my chances of getting into a Network Engineering role. I'll first have to get a certification in something and move up that certification ladder, then start working to gain the experience as I have none. Thanks for this informative post!