Options

Redhat Linux and CentOS

ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
For everyone that uses Linux here are my plans....

I have decided to study Linux hardcore, because the job I am at has a overnight position as a linux admin. My linux+ book is on the way I hope to recieve it today or tomorrow... I have already been studying and learning the Terminal commands. My question is to learn linux for a job.... what is the best platform to use??? Ubuntu? CentOS? I was talking with a co worker this morning who uses Linux and he recommended CentOS because thats what you use for RedHat.

Any recommendations..?
In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
“The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios

Comments

• Options
    gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It doesn't really matter which distro you decide to pick to learn the basics, but I would suggest CentOS, followed by OpenSUSE and Ubuntu.
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • Options
    yparkypark Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I guess it really depends on what your company/environment uses. At my work, all of the internal servers are setup on CentOS 6. If you are supporting end users, Ubuntu (or other debian based distros) would be the dominant one. If you want to apply your newly acquired knowledge right away at work, I would definitely do some research/poking around to see what is being used there because there are noticeably big differences on how thing work and where things are depending on the distros.

Good luck on your studies!
    2022 Goals: [PCNSE] [JNCIS-SP] [JNCIS-SEC] [JNCIS-DevOps]
  • Options
    indigomx9indigomx9 Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For the RPM based system CentOS is good, it's a clone of Red Hat and will be huge if you decide to pursue RHCSA later. For the DPKG based system you should use Debian (systemd) or Linux Mint (upstart).
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Your Linux+ book will cover the basics and differences between 3 major Linux distributions. It will focus on CentOS (RedHat/Fedora), Debian (including Ubuntu), and SUSE. So if you're going to be studying for Linux+ you should have and learn a VM of each to practice and learn with.

If you're not dead set on Linux+ then my next recommendation is to focus on whatever your company is using or requires for the Linux Sysadmin position that you want. If you're company is using RedHat and will accept the RHCSA then focus on that, don't worry about Linux+ and get an RHCSA book.

Personally I recommend RHCSA over Linux+ for those who don't absolutely need Linux+. First, I find it's easier for people new to Linux to learn one distribution at a time rather than try to learn 3 at once. Second, I've seen RedHat a LOT more in every environment that I've worked in. Third, in my company the RHCSA is held in a higher regard than Linux+ because of the tests. Too many people over time have used **** to **** on Linux+ and shown up not knowing how use even the most basic commandline options. The RHCSA exam is performance based, you will be tested by configuring a VM to the specifications that they give you, this means that if you don't memorize every little switch you'll be okay, just use man/help to remind you which switch is which.
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    BlackBeret wrote: »
    Your Linux+ book will cover the basics and differences between 3 major Linux distributions. It will focus on CentOS (RedHat/Fedora), Debian (including Ubuntu), and SUSE. So if you're going to be studying for Linux+ you should have and learn a VM of each to practice and learn with.

If you're not dead set on Linux+ then my next recommendation is to focus on whatever your company is using or requires for the Linux Sysadmin position that you want. If you're company is using RedHat and will accept the RHCSA then focus on that, don't worry about Linux+ and get an RHCSA book.

Personally I recommend RHCSA over Linux+ for those who don't absolutely need Linux+. First, I find it's easier for people new to Linux to learn one distribution at a time rather than try to learn 3 at once. Second, I've seen RedHat a LOT more in every environment that I've worked in. Third, in my company the RHCSA is held in a higher regard than Linux+ because of the tests. Too many people over time have used **** to **** on Linux+ and shown up not knowing how use even the most basic commandline options. The RHCSA exam is performance based, you will be tested by configuring a VM to the specifications that they give you, this means that if you don't memorize every little switch you'll be okay, just use man/help to remind you which switch is which.

Im going to take your advice and learn RedHat. Im going to keep my Linux+ book that I bought as a reference and learning tool... But im going to purchase a book asap. until it gets here im going to keep labbing and practicing.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    wolfinsheepsclothingwolfinsheepsclothing Member Posts: 155
    Red Hat/CentOS, but I'm of course biased. For Linux+, as others have mentioned, it would be a good idea to learn a debian based system as well (such as Ubuntu) since the L+ exam is agnostic.