Options

Help Lighting Strikes again!

greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
Hey guys lighting struck one of the offices at work and the built in nic on one of the computers stopped working. I have tried everything but only one of the green lights light up and thats it. That nic is probally bad.

I then tried to use internal pci express ethernet card. but despite everyhting i try windows 7 won't seem to recongize anything i try. I then though maybe I need to change a setting in the bios for the pci e so that windows would recongize. thought it was the drivers got new drivers from website. still nothing need your help guys.

I think that maybe the lighting did more damage to that motherboard than I realize. Help guys!
:
Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    What a refreshing surprise. I did not expect this post to be about actual lighting. Do you have a USB NIC on hand for testing?
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Do you have a USB NIC on hand for testing?

+1, this is what I was thinking. If that doesn't work something is probably fried on the motherboard.
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    +1, this is what I was thinking. If that doesn't work something is probably fried on the motherboard.

Exactly... the motherboard may have been fried because of the lightning strike. I have heard of that happening in bad storms especially where our bases are....

Or it could be because you are a steelers fan and God was trying to send you a message :D
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    Nightflier101BLNightflier101BL Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Now I have Dokken stuck in my head. Anyone? :)
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hey guys I have used the usb ports on the machine so I know the usb ports are working. I don't have a usb ethernet adapter though. I think it would come in handy. I will make a note to purchase some of those.

I ended up replacing the motherboard from another hp machine I had in the office that wasn't in use at the time so the user is back up and running.

Thanks for all the help guys!icon_thumright.gif
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.