Options

Passed 5-19-16

thewiz8807thewiz8807 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
Official Study Materials used:

-CASP CAS-002 by Robin Abernathy and Troy McMillan

Test was difficult in the sense that you really had to examine the question given and think critically. All my simulations functioned well, no issues there. I took the full amount of time to complete the exam and review all my questions.

What I did was skip questions I had no clue about and move onto questions I could answer, flagging the ones I was unsure about.

Happy to come away with this pass - was really dreading the result screen after the survey. Good luck to you all. Was planning on tackling the CEH next but I'm not keen on dropping close to $1000 on study materials for it just yet, maybe later. For now I'm going to work on my Linux+ and then some Microsoft certs. Need to have some Systems under my belt within this next year.
Goals: Network+ (Done) -> CCNA: R&S (Done) -> CCNA: Security (Done) -> Security+ (Done) -> ITIL v3 Foundation (Done) -> CASP (Done) -> CCNP: R/S (In Progress) -> CCNP: Collaboration -> CCSK -> CCSP -> CISSP

Comments

• Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Well respected cert to have!
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    thewiz8807 wrote: »

Test was difficult in the sense that you really had to examine the question given and think critically. All my simulations functioned well, no issues there. I took the full amount of time to complete the exam and review all my questions.

What I did was skip questions I had no clue about and move onto questions I could answer, flagging the ones I was unsure about.

Happy to come away with this pass - was really dreading the result screen after the survey. Good luck to you all. Was planning on tackling the CEH next but I'm not keen on dropping close to $1000 on study materials for it just yet, maybe later. For now I'm going to work on my Linux+ and then some Microsoft certs. Need to have some Systems under my belt within this next year.

Congrats Man!
  • Options
    Thanks you two, appreciate it. Actually decided to take a shot at the CEH v9 without using the typical $1400 stack of resources people use. Going with the Sybex guide and skillset website.

Heck I passed the CASP with just the book and the end of chapter quizzes and practice exams. I'm sure the CEH isn't as difficult as the CASP.
    Goals: Network+ (Done) -> CCNA: R&S (Done) -> CCNA: Security (Done) -> Security+ (Done) -> ITIL v3 Foundation (Done) -> CASP (Done) -> CCNP: R/S (In Progress) -> CCNP: Collaboration -> CCSK -> CCSP -> CISSP
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I found the CEH not as difficult as the CASP, you can definitely pass with the new books out there.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    bryarskb1369bryarskb1369 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great Job Wiz! CASP is kill'n me..haha...took it last week and bombed. Hard for me to grasp some of the material. I'm using the Robin Abernathy Cert Guide for study. What else if any do you recommend for me to look at?

Thanks for the support and congratulations again!

KB
  • Options
    jones551jones551 Member Posts: 154 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    firemike314firemike314 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□

Congrats man! Happy you got it! Good luck on your next endeavor.
  • Options
    That's a pretty good one actually, should be fine maybe pick up the Sybex book to turn the wrench on it maybe?
  • Options
    Thanks again guys!

@bryarskb1369 - Hmm, that's a good question hah. I'm not too sure, I went with what I was led to believe was the best book on the market for the CASP. I'm actually surprised I passed with just using that book alone. Have you answered the end of chapter quizzes and also used the test software that came with the book?

I always print out the course objectives and mark on it the page numbers for each objective as I read the book. Hope this helps some, good luck!

If I had to rank the difficulty of the CASP I'd say it's on par with the Security+. Where the Sec+ focuses on definitive knowledge, the CASP is more so about the practitioner side of things and how scenarios should be approached. <- Hopefully I'm not violating any NDA with that statement. If I am, a mod can edit it out.
  • Options
    skynet1126skynet1126 Member Posts: 7 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There are also MANY training vids on Pluralsight.com regarding CEH.....Im thinking about it, but prob. go for CASP first
    Kevin in NH
    ITF, A+, NET+, SEC+, Linux+, Server+, CySa+, LPIC-1, SUSE, Mobility+
  • Options
    texaspride05texaspride05 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your CASP! I am in Sec+ now and proceeding on to casp upon my certification of sec+. I have bought the CASP book so I'm ready to go on that. Any helpfull tips would be greatly appreciated as two instructors in my classes this week told us they recently passed CASP but it was a beast of an exam. I also will be doing CEH later this year as well.
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□

Did you use any practice exam material other than the one that came with the book?
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I saw that our very own JDMurray teaches a buffer overflow course on pluralsight. how awesome?!
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
  • Options
    jhntbrightjhntbright Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I was thinking after passing Sec+ then will go w/ CASP.
  • Options
    Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Will be taking my CASP exam in 2 weeks.. I have been mostly using Cert Guide by Abernathy/McMillan, went through Cybrary videos and browsing through FedVte. Will be using the other book for simulation questions since im more worried about that
  • Options
    gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Z0sickx wrote: »
    Will be taking my CASP exam in 2 weeks.. I have been mostly using Cert Guide by Abernathy/McMillan, went through Cybrary videos and browsing through FedVte. Will be using the other book for simulation questions since im more worried about that

How do you feel about the FedVte Z0sickx? Do you find it will be beneficial or not?