Options

Jr. VDI Admin

Powerlifting90Powerlifting90 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

As you might tell from my title, I just took on a role as a Jr. VDI Admin about a month ago. Right now Im still waiting to get my turn to get to really get my hands into the virtual infrastructure (permissions) but I have worked with vSphere and Horizon View to do a recompose a few times.

I have pretty minimal experience with VMware as far as admin perspective, but I do have a fairly good grasp on how things work now after shoulder surfing some guys and asking a million questions. My last job was basically tier 2/3 sys admin being more on the client side of VDI.

Enough ranting, my question is, what can I do to prepare myself in my job to possibly take my VCP (Desktop) by the end of summer/Septemberish? I know that on the job will help out the most and I want to take advantage of having it at my fingertips daily. Is 3-4 months on the job experience too little?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's not too little experience IMO. I supported Horizon at VMware and got my VCP after supporting it only for a few months. Mastering Horizon 6 was a great resource. Go through the blueprint also and read the PDFs that are linked to it and that's all you really need. You likely will be able to answer the View/Horizon questions pretty easily, so you'll want to study up on Workspace and Mirage.
  • Options
    TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Build yourself a lab where you can practice various tasks. That will give you more confidence to do things in production. There are many books on Horizon and lots of great free resources like Hands on Labs.
  • Options
    bettsy584bettsy584 Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would suggest going for VCP-DCV first as you might not understand some of the terminology from vSphere if you jump straight into View. Even if you have strong experience with vSphere the certification will round off the area's you may not have touched upon.

DCV then DT.
  • Options
    scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    bettsy584 wrote: »
    I would suggest going for VCP-DCV first as you might not understand some of the terminology from vSphere if you jump straight into View. Even if you have strong experience with vSphere the certification will round off the area's you may not have touched upon.

DCV then DT.
    But you would need to pass the vSphere Foundations exam as part of doing the VCP6-DTM, that would test (and prove) your vSphere knowledge to a certain level...
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com