No hand on experience in i.t.

nygs82nygs82 Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys I just received my A+ about a week ago with no prior experience in the i.t. industry how would a guy like me break in to land a help desk job or tech support job without any experience ? Any advice will be helpful. Note I'm in the medical field trying to change careers

Comments

• ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You should be able to get a Field tech job, or a Help Desk job with a A+. Just apply for jobs on dice.com, careerbuilder, monster, and craigslist. Look for service desk, or help desk jobs.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Set up job alerts on the sites ITSpectre mentioned above. Let the jobs come to you. Also watch a lot of YouTube videos on various related topics that way when you do land a video you've got a good grasp on any questions they pose to you
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depending on your background.... you could get into IT by applying to be a contractor with the Govt. You have to get a govt clearance though which is usually a Secret. As long as your finances are straight and you have a clean background you could go that route. That is a good route to take because once you get a clearance you are good to go....some of those jobs require a Sec+ within a certain time frame though. And that is also a good way to get service desk experience and get to know the other facets of IT....

There are many different ways to get your foot in the door, but once you get in your golden!
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    nygs82 wrote: »
    Hey guys I just received my A+ about a week ago with no prior experience in the i.t. industry how would a guy like me break in to land a help desk job or tech support job without any experience ? Any advice will be helpful. Note I'm in the medical field trying to change careers

Simple advice: Go look for a small contract such as this here or something like this.

Establish a linkedin account and add your A+ to it and start from there. Networking with people is key, so be confident about what you know going in.
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    don't be too concerned about getting the Secret clearance. I have an active Secret clearance and it has not helped me one bit in my job search. unless you have alot of gov't offices near you it won't help your career. getting the gov't job itself is fine and can lead to some good experience and access to great training
  • tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When I was a manager, I preferred to hire non experienced but eager to learn entry level employees. Trust me there are many other Managers that do the same.