Options

What's the cheapest gigabit Cisco switch that runs the latest IOS?

bluejellorabbitbluejellorabbit Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
Not that I'm going to get one any time soon. Just playing around with the idea. Jeremy Cioara recommended using real Cisco equipment on your own home network, but of course I don't want to slow my network down with old 10/100 switches. I'd need something with at least 8 gigabit ports, and something that runs the latest IOS. Anyone know a model number off the top of their head?

I could use an older router since my cable connection never exceeds 100Mbit anyways.

Comments

• Options
    Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In regards to IOS, a Catalyst 2960 can run IOS 15. The 2950 only support up to 12.2 and will NOT support any IOS above 12.2. Also, 2960s are relatively cheap (I got mine for $40). Othereise, a 3750 will be your best bet for the gigabit ports that you require.
    Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    A Cisco WS-C2960G-8TC-L will get you 8x 1000BASE-T ports for about $120 on eBay. This is small desktop switch that can run IOS 15.
  • Options
    Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
    DPG wrote: »
    A Cisco WS-C2960G-8TC-L will get you 8x 1000BASE-T ports for about $120 on eBay. This is small desktop switch that can run IOS 15.

Whaaaatt??? I didn't know they made 8 port versions.
    Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill
  • Options
    Thanks for the input. This one looks good: Cisco WS C2960G 8TC L Cisco 2960 Series 8 Port 10 100 1000 Refurbished 0882658120329 | eBay

Cheaper than I thought they'd be, too. Might be feasible for me to get one soon. I'm guessing I want to look for "G" at the end of 2960 to make sure all the ports are gigabit.
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You might be able to find a 24 port version for not too much more but it will be loud and use more power.
  • Options
    DPG wrote: »
    You might be able to find a 24 port version for not too much more but it will be loud and use more power.

I think I like that 8 port version more. Didn't know they made ones that small.