RSTP 801.1w

jrambarjrambar Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Does anyone know if Rapid Spanning tree will be on the CCNA exam? Has anyone seen any questions regarding RSTP?

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's more of a CCNP topic -- but you should know a few of the basics.

The single most important thing you might want to know is -- 802.1w :D No editing the 801.1w in your subject line to make me look silly -- but I suspect that was just a typo.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • jrambarjrambar Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    whoops! Sorry, I have been reading all night, 802.1w is correct. and STP is 802.1D...HAAAA...I'm getting it now! My brain is fried, maybe I should crawl into bed with wifey and snap back into reality, hopefully I won't be talking CCNA in my sleep, almost did last night...scary...
    jrambar wrote:
    hopefully I won't be talking CCNA in my sleep, almost did last night...scary...
    shouldn't be scary if you're passing it.... sleeping.gif pleasant dreams
  • David_HXDavid_HX Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Have you ever used this commands ?
    SWITCH-A #interface fastethernet 0/x
    SWITCH-A (config-if) #spanning-tree portfast

............ and verify by executing

SWITCH-A #show spanning-tree interface fastethernet 0/x

Just use it on "edge network" switch ports where there will be no chance of a bridging loop.

DvD
    David_HX wrote:
    Have you ever used this commands ?
    SWITCH-A #interface fastethernet 0/x
    SWITCH-A (config-if) #spanning-tree portfast
    Yeah..... but us CCNPs are trained professionals. CCNAs can only try this at home. icon_lol.gif

50 seconds to reconverge the network after a switch link failure is just plain awful - that's what you get with common ordinary plain STP. Luckly, when you're old enough and experienced enough (BCMSN) you know additional stuff about switching and can get that down to a second or two.
  • David_HXDavid_HX Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Isn't 'portfast' supposed to bypass the Listening and Learning stages of the convergence process and take the port directly from Blocking to Forwarding ? Thats the way I understand the process,, am I missing something here ?

DvD
    David_HX wrote:
    Isn't 'portfast' supposed to bypass the Listening and Learning stages of the convergence process and take the port directly from Blocking to Forwarding ? Thats the way I understand the process,, am I missing something here ?

DvD
    Right -- its for access ports only. No listening, no learning. Since its a user port, there is no chance for a loop anyways and there never were any convergence issues....

... until some idiot does plug a switch into the port -- then if a BPDU is received, Port Fast is abandoned, the port placed in blocking, and the switch runs through the entire Spanning Tree procedure.

That's why CCNAs only get to try this at home.... unless the CCNA is covering portfast now? Maybe I'm out of date....
  • duncnzduncnz Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:
    David_HX wrote:

DvD
    Right -- its for access ports only. No listening, no learning. Since its a user port, there is no chance for a loop anyways and there never were any convergence issues....

... until some idiot does plug a switch into the port -- then if a BPDU is received, Port Fast is abandoned, the port placed in blocking, and the switch runs through the entire Spanning Tree procedure.

That's why CCNAs only get to try this at home.... unless the CCNA is covering portfast now? Maybe I'm out of date....

The CCNA material I have, covers portfast to the extent you mentined above...

"its for access ports only. No listening, no learning. Since its a user port, there is no chance for a loop anyways " ...adding, exercise with caution!