Options

Passed CEH 5/23/2016

EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
Got an 82.4% on the exam. I took it as part of the WGU MS:ISA program. I read about half of the official chapters from the ECCouncil coursework, and read the WGU-provided study guide (which was essentially two hundred defintions, as well as a list of ICMP codes, nmap switches, netcat switches, ect). Markulous actually suggested taking the exam as a practice test, since WGU provides two free attempts, and seeing what the test is like. So that's what I did, and after about four weeks of studying, I was able to pass. I went into the exam expecting a failure, but it was a pleasant surprise to get the pass. And with better than the bare minimum 70%, as well.

I don't have much to contribute about the exam itself, except that it was easier than anticipated, and a lot of the questions are common sense infosec type questions.

CHFI is up next. And if others' posts are any indication, it should be a breeze after the CEH went so smoothly.

Comments

• Options
    IronmanXIronmanX Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
  • Options
    Someguy412Someguy412 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Would you mind sharing the WGU study guide? I was looking online for a cram sheet but was unable to find any.
  • Options
    Thank you!

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to be able to pass along the study guide. It is WGU proprietary material.
  • Options
    eduvalleduvall Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Question for the WGU CEH candidates, were you able to schedule your exam at either a PearsonVue or Prometric testing center? I am preparing to schedule the exam and I want to verify.

Thanks
    Our challenge is not in what we learn but in how we apply
    that knowledge in bettering ourselves and those around us. - unknown
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    When I took last year I had to fill a voucher request form and specify which provider I wanted.
  • Options
    Ok, thanks. I just don't want to have to use the internal testing provider as I cannot imagine that I would have a uninterrupted 4 hour time frame to work with.
  • Options
    When I did it, they sent me the voucher for the internal at-home provider. I asked them if I could get a voucher for Pearson instead, and they said they only do it internally. It must have changed since Cyberguy did his. That, or the person I spoke to was new, and didn't know any better. They did suggest looking into going to a library and reserving a private room if you're unable to take the test at home.
  • Options
    That's the response that I received today, which blows chunks, but it is what it is now. Didn't think about the option of a private room but was considering a vacant office at work (although I would hate to be in the office as late as I anticipate it being considering the length of the exam).
  • Options
    unknownposerunknownposer Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I recently passed the CEH as well (Tuesday). Don't be scared of the exam length. It has somewhere around I think four hours allocated to the test, and I took right around an hour, counting going back through the questions once or twice.
  • Options
    Thanks. I anticipate about two hours or so with really taking my time and reading each question.
  • Options
    wayne_wonderwayne_wonder Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How did you find it compare to say the sec+?
  • Options
    I will definitely let you know after tomorrow morning once I complete the exam.
  • Options
    eduvall wrote: »
    I will definitely let you know after tomorrow morning once I complete the exam.

Cool and good luck
  • Options
    I can't accurately say how it was compared to Sec+. I thought CEH was way easier, but I took Sec+ with zero IT experience, and having never taken any IT courses. Completely started from scratch. With CEH, I had a few years of work experience, and had studied and learned a bunch of concepts before even starting on the CEH.
  • Options
    Completed and passed the exam today with 80.8%. Definitely was irritating for me as the grammatical (and flat out incorrectly stated ) errors were/had frustrated me since I began preparing for this exam with the official materials.
    I seemed to have an abundance of nmap questions and quite a few common networking questions, otherwise it was a mixture of web hacking, injection, and others. I only recall 3 or 4 general questions on Heartbleed or Shellshock. It took me a bit over 2 hours to take it test as I deliberately took my time to figure out each question and eliminate possibilities on those which I wasn't sure about. It wasn't the easiest test for me but it is done now! I am definitely glad that I found this forum though.

Taking a break the rest of the day now. Seeing and "angry birds" movie in my future today. :)
  • Options
    TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    When I did it, they sent me the voucher for the internal at-home provider. I asked them if I could get a voucher for Pearson instead, and they said they only do it internally. It must have changed since Cyberguy did his. That, or the person I spoke to was new, and didn't know any better. They did suggest looking into going to a library and reserving a private room if you're unable to take the test at home.
    EW, what do you mean by the "internal at-home provider"? is it something like the Proctor U where you use your webcam and take the test at home? How long did you have to wait to receive the voucher?
    I've been slacking the past month and I'm completing FXT2 and reading Oriyano's SYBEX CEHv9 book. It's a little better than the Waker AIO in my opinion.
  • Options
    Congrats everyone who's passed
  • Options
    eduvall wrote: »
    Completed and passed the exam today with 80.8%. Definitely was irritating for me as the grammatical (and flat out incorrectly stated ) errors were/had frustrated me since I began preparing for this exam with the official materials.
    I seemed to have an abundance of nmap questions and quite a few common networking questions, otherwise it was a mixture of web hacking, injection, and others. I only recall 3 or 4 general questions on Heartbleed or Shellshock. It took me a bit over 2 hours to take it test as I deliberately took my time to figure out each question and eliminate possibilities on those which I wasn't sure about. It wasn't the easiest test for me but it is done now! I am definitely glad that I found this forum though.

Taking a break the rest of the day now. Seeing and "angry birds" movie in my future today. :)
    Yeah, the grammatic errors were definitely frustrating for me as well. But now that's it over, it's over!
    EW, what do you mean by the "internal at-home provider"? is it something like the Proctor U where you use your webcam and take the test at home? How long did you have to wait to receive the voucher?
    I've been slacking the past month and I'm completing FXT2 and reading Oriyano's SYBEX CEHv9 book. It's a little better than the Waker AIO in my opinion.
    Proctor U is actually exactly what they use for it. Receiving the voucher only took a day or two. But be warned, I had my CHFI scheduled for yesterday, and when I went to take it, the voucher WGU gave me had already been used. So now I need to wait for them to sort that out, reschedule the test, ect....