Options

Dallas IT job market

13»

Comments

• Options
    chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□

As far as the CCNAs, heh... it's nothing to do with how easy they used to be and everything to do with the study materials they used to pass and lying about general experience in their resume. We had a guy recently interview with us with 15 years of experience in various network engineer positions at companies all across SoCal and the guy couldn't respond with a single routing protocol when we asked him "What's your favorite routing protocol and why?" I mean... spitting out RIPv1 would have been preferable to not being able to come up with a single on in this case. Also had no idea what IPSec was.... Kid you not. Interviewing people makes me sad.

I've been interviewing candidates for a nice full of benefits position for a vendor, it is so hard to find the right candidates not even close to have the basic skills to get the job done or to even start learning, people put on teir resume they know about voice/sip/have installed asterisk and CM but cannot even tell a simple call flow or a sip message,not even mention about basic networking skills.
  • Options
    nerdinhidingnerdinhiding Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Somehow this thread about Dallas has now made me interested in moving to California. Good times...
  • Options
    tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Somehow this thread about Dallas has now made me interested in moving to California. Good times...

LOL I am not going to say a word
  • Options
    joemysteriojoemysterio Member Posts: 152
    My gf and I are looking to move to SoCal or Texas in a couple of years. We love SoCal so much but we're intrigued by the beautiful homes and more affordable home prices in Texas. Our goal is to have a big house, a family, and stable careers. We're going to be looking into how the job market is over there and if that seems favorable, we may put Houston/Dallas/Austin/??? at the top of our list in the future. I do feel confident though she'll find work (social worker) and hopefully IT is strong in Texas.

But, as of this moment, Iris has me feeling that there is hope for me in finding a networking role that's close to or higher than 100k. I hope that's still the case in a few years. For now I need to get that hands on experience, regain my CCNA knowledge and practice with my lab I'm putting together(!) often, and get my CCNP.
    Current goals: CCNA/CCNP
  • Options
    revboxrevbox Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You guys are talking about 600 K - 3 million dollar homes and I'm like, I got this three bedroom, 2 two bathroom with 3 acres, a pond, and an outdoor shed for 95,000 in Arkansas. Of course, I wouldn't make 150 K a year here unless I started selling drugs.