Options

What happens if you do not recertify your MCSE?

ukiltmybruthaukiltmybrutha Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
I know it goes inactive. I am scheduled to take my 70-980, but I have not had the time to study super hard for it. I have other things going on in my life that come first.

If I fail, what would it take to become an MCSE on infrastructure again? Do I have to redo all of the exams?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you have your MCITP:EA and the 2016 exams offers an upgrade path, then you'll probably have to do like 3-4 exams. If you don't have your MCITP:EA, then yes you'll have to take all of the exams again.

I'm in your shoes too with my MCSE expiring by the end of the year. So you should probably do 70-980 and get it out of the way.

I'm thinking Svr 2016 will probably be out in July/August time frame, with the exams following shortly after. Watch out for any MS beta exams here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/exam-list.aspx

FYI, they just released Sharepoint 2016 a few weeks ago, and there's 1 beta exam on that list.
  • Options
    Thank you for your thoughts.

I have just a few days left before it expires. 6 months notice was completely insufficient for a mature adult with numerous obligations. Recertifying was the last thing on my mind after obtaining it and other vendors like Comptia were at least generous enough to give you a year's notice. In fact, I forgot to pay my dues to Comptia, and let them know of my mistake. They gave me another month without giving me any hassle at all.

I have the MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7, MCSA: Windows Server 2012, and MCSA: Windows Server 2012.

I wonder if any of those is a shortcut. I have largely left infrastructure in favor of Security, but the infrastructure background has helped when I don't qualify for the Security job (based upon lack of higher level Security Certs) but support their infrastructure instead while "learning" Security on the job.

I am rarely asked about my MCSE, it is almost always...."Do you have your MCSA or MCTS?"
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well, I would say if you are in that boat, go for the re-certification.

Honestly, for re-certification, you shouldn't be in a position where 6 months is too short of a timeframe... you have already been certified and should be familiar enough with the material that it shouldn't require significant study time. Also, keep in mind... this is just a reminder, the date has been out there since you completed your initial 2012 certification.

Now, you can always ask for an extension. I don't know if Microsoft will be flexible with it, but I had qualified for the PMP exam and they give you a year to sit it once you qualify before you have to "re-qualify". PMP wasn't a high priority for me so it kept getting pushed to the back and my year came and went; PMI was flexible enough to extend by 2 months. So, you never know.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    powerfool wrote: »
    Well, I would say if you are in that boat, go for the re-certification.

Honestly, for re-certification, you shouldn't be in a position where 6 months is too short of a timeframe... you have already been certified and should be familiar enough with the material that it shouldn't require significant study time. Also, keep in mind... this is just a reminder, the date has been out there since you completed your initial 2012 certification.

Now, you can always ask for an extension. I don't know if Microsoft will be flexible with it, but I had qualified for the PMP exam and they give you a year to sit it once you qualify before you have to "re-qualify". PMP wasn't a high priority for me so it kept getting pushed to the back and my year came and went; PMI was flexible enough to extend by 2 months. So, you never know.

Seriously? "Shouldn't?"

I really do envy your life if you can make global judgments about people and their particular situation. icon_rolleyes.gif

I am not familiar with the previous content because I don't have daily exposure to the materials contained within the test. That's not how it always works.

Good idea on the bluntly asking them.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have just a few days left before it expires. 6 months notice was completely insufficient for a mature adult with numerous obligations.

It does say right on the certification page: This MCSE certification requires you to show continued ability to perform in your chosen solution area by completing a recertification exam every three years.

There is even a big arrow pointing towards that... icon_rolleyes.gif

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/mcse-server-infrastructure-certification.aspx
  • Options
    It does say right on the certification page: This MCSE certification requires you to show continued ability to perform in your chosen solution area by completing a recertification exam every three years.

There is even a big arrow pointing towards that... icon_rolleyes.gif

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/mcse-server-infrastructure-certification.aspx

So Microsoft didn't write this huh? icon_rolleyes.gif Don't be such a Fanboi.

https://borntolearn.mslearn.net/b/weblog/posts/certification-update-recertification-exams

And even if they didn't, 6 months is insufficient.
  • Options
    So Microsoft didn't write this huh? icon_rolleyes.gif Don't be such a Fanboi.

Sorry, I can be a **donkey's butt** whenever I hear an excuse for anything and looked like that was written pretty clearly. Might not even have been there when you took the exam for all I know... I have zero plans for any Microsoft certs myself.

Common knowledge its 3 years though...
  • Options
    Sorry, I can be a **donkey's butt** whenever I hear an excuse for anything and looked like that was written pretty clearly. Might not even have been there when you took the exam for all I know... I have zero plans for any Microsoft certs myself.

Your donkey's butt issue sounds like a personal problem. Keep it to yourself. :):)

If Microsoft publically agrees that 6 months is insufficient and further agrees to rescind, then there really is no need for further conversation.
  • Options

Right in your own article you linked in the first section under "FAQ" : MCSE and MCSD certifications have always had a recertification requirement to maintain the credentials, since their launch in Spring 2012. The recertification period for MCSE is every 3 years

I'm done talking though, can't stand even talking about people that make excuses for things. Best of luck getting it re certified was obviously Microsoft's fault for you predicament.
  • Options
    So light at the end of the tunnel....Microsoft advised me that even if I take the exam after the expiration date and pass, the inactive status would be changed to active.

BTW - Thanks for the rep points trolls. :)
  • Options
    Right in your own article you linked in the first section under "FAQ" : MCSE and MCSD certifications have always had a recertification requirement to maintain the credentials, since their launch in Spring 2012. The recertification period for MCSE is every 3 years

I'm done talking though, can't stand even talking about people that make excuses for things. Best of luck getting it re certified was obviously Microsoft's fault for you predicament.

Some lives you guys must have. No excuses....ever lol. You look to be about 12 years old. One day you will find out more about life and get your MCSE instead of copying and pasting links.
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So light at the end of the tunnel....Microsoft advised me that even if I take the exam after the expiration date and pass, the inactive status would be changed to active.

BTW - Thanks for the rep points trolls. :)

+1 Rep for post and having to endure the trolls. :D
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    Good deal on the extension... and glad for you on that... but maybe you could work on your attitude.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Not to sound like a total idiot here, but if you have MCSA Server 2012, then you can get the MCSE Server Infrastructure again with just two exams. So, worst case is that you'd have to sit two exams instead of one, where the one exam fairly covers the two exams anyway - so it would be similar amount of work, but an extra hour or two in the exam centre and an extra $150 (or whatever the going rate is).

Don't panic!
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    ITSpectre wrote: »
    +1 Rep for post and having to endure the trolls. :D

Bingo man! Thanks for the rep and seeing through the garbage.
  • Options
    Good deal on the extension... and glad for you on that... but maybe you could work on your attitude.

Yes, now look in the mirror and think about it. I do mean that. I suppose all of the upset people in the MS Blog were wrong too huh? Why don't you post over there and tell 'em all!
  • Options
    OctalDump wrote: »
    Not to sound like a total idiot here, but if you have MCSA Server 2012, then you can get the MCSE Server Infrastructure again with just two exams. So, worst case is that you'd have to sit two exams instead of one, where the one exam fairly covers the two exams anyway - so it would be similar amount of work, but an extra hour or two in the exam centre and an extra $150 (or whatever the going rate is).

Don't panic!

Thank you for your thoughts, but I'll elect the option to defer the exam...which should apply globally to everyone here.
  • Options
    I came here for the best course of action, not to have some trolls alleged sense of ethics imposed on me. Sticks and Stones kids.
  • Options
    Yes, now look in the mirror and think about it. I do mean that. I suppose all of the upset people in the MS Blog were wrong too huh? Why don't you post over there and tell 'em all!

Honestly, it doesn't really bother me one way or another. Microsoft's statements supporting their change weren't that they thought the notice was too short, in general, but that for folks with multiple certifications it is cumbersome. But the fact that you are so adamant... paints quite a picture.
  • Options
    Honestly, it doesn't really bother me one way or another. Microsoft's statements supporting their change weren't that they thought the notice was too short, in general, but that for folks with multiple certifications it is cumbersome. But the fact that you are so adamant... paints quite a picture.

No, you are right....no one complained that the notice was too short. icon_rolleyes.gif

Like I said, look in the mirror before you start to criticize others for their faults. No whiners and all that cliche...good luck with that.
  • Options
    No, you are right....no one complained that the notice was too short. icon_rolleyes.gif

Like I said, look in the mirror before you start to criticize others for their faults. No whiners and all that cliche...good luck with that.

Look, I am just going to be blunt... your attitude is just no good here. If you will put aside your feeling for the moment, I didn't say no one [nobody] complained.... so maybe re-read that... because Microsoft indicated it wasn't because of [general] complaints, but rather that there are many folks with multiple certifications where it becomes a bigger issue, and that was their reason for making the change.

And no... I don't need to do any introspection... you are getting hot headed over a simple comment. We aren't Microsoft; these aren't our policies; we aren't responsible for them. So, coming in here and exposing your temper isn't helping you and I am losing any sleep over it. You aren't the only person that has ever had to re-certify... and it just seems childish. But don't worry, I won't be responding to you any further.