Options

MTA 98-365 - Can I pass it? Will there be a similar exam? How about MCSA 70-410?

noob88noob88 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, all.

I have been working as a desktop technician for more than 5 years and don't have any certs. Windows Server administration is an area I would like to focus on. Employer sees a need for it as we currently have 5 Windows servers and nobody with substantial Windows Server knowledge and will pay for a Microsoft cert. So I'd like to seize this opportunity.

I was really interested in the MTA 98-365 but was disappointed to learn that it's being retired on July 31. I don't know much about Microsoft certifications. Will there be a similar exam rolled out to replace it? My second option is perhaps Exam 70-410: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012. Of course, this would only be 1/3 of an MCSA, but I'm having doubts about my ability to pass all three exams for the MCSA at this time.

I'd like to start with something lower level like the MTA to sort of gauge my knowledge and give me a bit of confidence to pursue higher certs. I wouldn't call myself a sharp person, nor am I necessarily good at taking tests, and to top that off I'm a rather slow learner, so this causes me a bit of worry. Just not sure how to size up these exams. I ran through the free Certiport PDF and got about 75% on the 98-365, but if things weren't clear I was very easily able to make an educated guess at the answer based on wording.

Like I mentioned, I am a desktop tech and have plenty of experience in Win 7/8 and getting there with 10. I co-administer a couple of Windows servers and can do the basics... add users to groups, allow remote access, I successfully stumbled my way through setting up CALs for Remote Desktop once, set up shares, restart services, troubleshoot login issues, allow programs through the firewall, set up a license server. I know of DNS, DHCP, IIS, but have never set any of these things up. I have a very basic understanding of AD principles. I've never actually put in a disc and installed Win Server 2012, but that'd be simple enough to practice on with VirtualBox I'd imagine. Solid understanding of RAID 0/1/5/10. OK understanding of FC, SANs, etc. I do great when I have Google as a resource with new principles and can take things slowly and follow along.

TL;DR: 5 years of being a desktop technician, dabbled in Windows Server 2012 administration, I'm not sure if I have the knowledge to pass Win Server 2012 exam 70-410, was thinking of MTA 98-365 but don't know it's worth studying for if it'll be retired, wondering if there is going to be a similar replacement exam for the MTA - Win Server Administration Fundamentals.

Thank you very much for any advice you can offer me! Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can do it!

You have already been dabbling in administration as desktop support. The MCSA has a good knowledge base on here and online. Why I like the MCSA is it focuses a lot on ADUC and how to do a lot of administration through there. I would install vmware player or virtualbox and get the free copy of Win server 2012 and make a home lab and start studying for the MCSA. Most of the stuff you need to learn is also on technet and that is also a good resource to study.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    revboxrevbox Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do the MVA courses online, read the slides that you can download from them, and get yourself a copy of the Microsoft Press book.

With the level of experience you have and the stuff you mentioned, you should be able to pass this exam without a lot of hands-on. The MTAs are more about theory than practice. Do you know what a term means and the process in which it works versus the actual how-to.
  • Options
    G.O.A.TG.O.A.T Member Posts: 138
    The MTA expires Jul 31st, this should be plenty of time to get it.. I have just began studying for this one, and I'm a server n00b and think I can get this before the 31st thats over a month.. I am looking to get the exam done by this time next month, if I fail I will book the exam for like the 29th of Jul if I fail that again I will call it a learning experience. This is the only MTA I can see value in, I was going to get the Network one but when I thought about it, it doesnt have much value.