Options

WU Issues?

SaSkillerSaSkiller Member Posts: 337 ■■■□□□□□□□
Do you guys have any ideas here?

Was trying to run windows updates on my W7 PC and it wasn't having it, locked in downloading at 0%.

Did a search for Windows update not working fix and there were 2 MS solutions.

Troubleshoot problems with installing updates - Windows Help

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/windows-update-issues/en-us

The fixit is digitally signed but the signature is out of date. Don't know how the signature is considered valid when it is out of date.

But anyway neither of the two files worked, one (the fixit) changed the WU so it said it had installed updates successfully but it was obvious that did not happen. I looked at the Windows Update service and it is stuck in a "stopping" state, and nothing I have tried has managed to get it out of that state. On top of that, now when I try to open services it gives me a UAC prompt which it never did before...

thoughts?
OSWP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CPT, CCENT, CompTIA Trio.

Comments

• Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would just reboot it, check for updates and leave it alone and check on it in 6 hour intervals.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    SaSkillerSaSkiller Member Posts: 337 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Techfiend, Thanks, that actually worked. I tried everything I could last night and couldn't get anything to work before that. I noticed that even when I was telling it to look for updates or try to download, it wasn't attempting to. No DNS activity, no connections to MS. The script fixed it.
    OSWP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CPT, CCENT, CompTIA Trio.