Options

Differences between two ccnp books

Jey10Jey10 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I've just passed CCNA R&S with 883 :) and now I want to begin learning for CCNP icon_study.gif. I've found 2 books that seems pretty good but I don't understand the differences between them, can you help me please : CCNP Routing and Switching v2.0 Official Cert Guide Library AND CCNP Routing and Switching Foundation Learning Guide Library: (ROUTE 300-101, SWITCH 300-115, TSHOOT 300-135)

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    The FLGs tend to be easier to read and to learn from and are best used in conjunction with the official lab manuals. The OCGs are more about preparing for the exam once you have some knowledge. If you are continuing straight from CCNA and don't have a heap of experience, I'd recommend the FLG + lab manuals. The Cisco Network Academy program is aligned with the FLG and Lab Manuals.

If you've got a couple of years of experience beyond CCNA, then the OCG might be enough. But it's not uncommon for people to use both along with other resources like videos or live training.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    I used both OCG and FLG when I passed Route and I never felt like one or the other had a particular focus on "learning" vs. "preparing for the exam". In my opinion, it's more or less the same material covered by different authors. You can learn the stuff with either book, or using both. It's true that the FLG is the official book for the Net Academy classes, and that the OCG is aimed at the general public, but remember, there are Net Academy books for CCNA too (they're called companion guides, and there quite a few of them), and nobody cares about those because the OCG is good.
  • Options
    fredrikjj wrote: »
    there are Net Academy books for CCNA too (they're called companion guides, and there quite a few of them), and nobody cares about those because the OCG is good.

Yeah, I recommend the CCNA R+S companion guides (4 of them, 2 for each exam) over the OCG for anyone starting out in networking. I've read both, and the FLGs are much easier to read and pace through the harder stuff better.
  • Options
    Jey10Jey10 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks all. But after some researches, I've found some comments telling these books, especially the FLG, are poor and miss some important informations. I've understood the Simplified books seem good but there aren't exist for the new version.
    What do you advice?
  • Options
    mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm not sure about this version of the book, but in the past the FLG was missing some topics. The book was particularly lacking info on IP SLA. You had to go and download the appendix to get any info on it.
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
  • Options
    I'm not sure about this version of the book, but in the past the FLG was missing some topics. The book was particularly lacking info on IP SLA. You had to go and download the appendix to get any info on it.

There's IP SLA in the current FLG, and also in the Lab Manuals.