Options

Wouhou! Exam Passed : détails de mon parcours

SeabSeab Member Posts: 127
icon_cheers.gifHi guys,

I wanted to share my experience, because, well, this forum is a great deal of motivation. I don't think it would have been the same without it. It wouldn't! I've talk with great people, received great advices, and make me take the final steps to the exam.

For the background, I am in Infosec since many years, almost 10, Studied IT Security at Uni, and this is my first Cert. A little bit brutal I guess. I have experience in different domains.

I started using Shon Harris about a year ago.
I didn't really like the book style but read a few chapters; questions were good, I did a few.
Most importantly, motivation was not there and knew the material was not really up to date.

When Sybex book got updated I pre-order and most importantly was more motivated.
I enjoyed Sybex way more. It was clear and efficient, very well structured. If I have to recommend only one good, for me, this is the one. But, this is different for everyone. I really enjoyed Sybex questions as well, did a few practices exams, chapters questions, etc.

I subcribed to CCCure questions, because, well, (almost) everyone does! And, I didn't really like it to be honest, interface is horrible, but functional I guess. Surprisingly, cccure questions helped me more in the preparation for the exam than Sybex, but as suggested before, Hard level is probably better suited.
I did 125 questions per domains and aimed at 85%. Also did a few practices exams. I really recommend to use the study mode to begin with, and doing one or more 'test' mode. Because you don't received the feedback and the answers, it is more realistic experience (Sybex as well).

I also used Cybrary as podcast and was really impressed with the material.

Then started the review with Eric Conrad 11th Hour. I really enjoyed that book to put everything to the essential. I was reading without taking note, more casualy.

About 2 weeks before the exam, I decided to crunch Eric Conrad's Cissp Guide 3rd. Not sure if it was really required to be honest. Probably not. This book is quite different from Sybex. It feels more like a boot camp in a book. I like how information is more conscice, straight to the point and simply explained, but I didn't like the structure, how subjects are divided was not always clear. I had to go back to Sybex to be sure I understood well the first time!!! Some of the concepts were better explained in Sybex in my opinion, still this good is fantastic, because it is quite accessible, and way more readable than Sybex.

Then read 11th hour again, taking notes, and highlighting important points.

When Cybrary videos have been updated, I watched a few clips, and used it to review a few points. Again, material is really great. I also used it the day before the exam. It was the best way to relax.

I took the longuest way to read and review the material. Maybe because this was my first cert, but motivation is really key to success. I admire ZzBloopzZ that done it in one month! I should have discover this forum before, to know were to focus earlier, what material is best, etc.! I will keep that in mind for the next one for sure!

Again, thanks everyone for the support and help!
And Best of Luck to WebPriestess that will take the exam on Monday!!! :)

Seab

Comments