Options

I'm at the point where nothing is sticking anymore

doctorlexusdoctorlexus Member Posts: 217
Reading over ICND2 material, and it's like I'm just ice skating over the words, not remembering them two seconds after I've passed by them. I'm like a silicone coated towel at this point.

Comments

• Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Aside from reading what other methods are you using to help retain what you are reading?

My methods: (not always in the below order)
    - Highlight important subject areas
    - Take notes of important areas
    - Re-read over notes on import areas
    - Watch video on content (also taking notes)
    - Lab, Lab, Lab
    - Use any exam simulators / study test engines possible (Boson)
    - Use multiple resources (no just Cisco Press)

Rinse and repeat the above ^^

Other suggestions:
    - Create flash cards
    - Teach it
    - Quiz a friend (have them quiz you back)
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    My brain just doesn't work any more. It won't accept any more information. The only option now is to drink wine and watch Mythbusters.
  • Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Teaching other people is the very best way for me to learn concepts. If I don't really know it - really, really know it - I will find out very quickly!
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    What book are you using? The official guides usually bore the hell out of me.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    How much labbing a day are you doing? Are you using any lab workbooks? How many hours have you spent labbing total?
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Thanks, folks. I wasn't really looking for solutions to a problem. Was just conveying I'm temporarily burned out, like you get if you lift to failure at the gym.

Not sure about labbing in GNS3 in particular, but probably 5-6 hours studying per day, a lot of it just reading. After a while, it gets to the point that nothing I read stays with me anymore.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    probably 5-6 hours studying per day, a lot of it just reading.

I won't provide any helpful solutions, but that sounds absolutely awful icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks, folks. I wasn't really looking for solutions to a problem. Was just conveying I'm temporarily burned out, like you get if you lift to failure at the gym.

Not sure about labbing in GNS3 in particular, but probably 5-6 hours studying per day, a lot of it just reading. After a while, it gets to the point that nothing I read stays with me anymore.

I know you "aren't looking for a solution" but 5-6 is a ton. There is no way I have time in my day for that unless on a day I have off of work. I try to get atleast an hour a day if not more. Then I focus on doing 4+ on days I am not working. You might be feeling burt because you are doing too much. I'd say just give it all a break for a bit then come back to it with a less intense study regiment.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    joemc3joemc3 Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Focus on chapters not hours. I will do one or two chapters today, I will do any exercise and I will lab if need be. Even if it is a chapter a day a, 20 chapter book will be done in 20 days. You can focus and hour or two on a single chapter and really get it.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162

Your brain probably needs a break from what I would consider over-studying. Take a week or two off from studying and relax. Go back to studying after that and maybe you come back with a different approach. Try experimenting with different techniques...one of my favorite is the pomodoro method:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomodoro_Technique
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    OP

Burnout is really a light form of depression or the blues. Sometimes we all need to step away decompress. When your ready to re-identify why you want to learn this or any other skill set you will be ready to absorb more. For some it becomes such a learning habit that it becomes second nature or auto-pilot for long stretches at a time.

Other days I take a mental holiday and avoid all learning. icon_thumright.gif

- b/eads
  • Options
    blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    Focus on enjoying your time spent studying. 5-6 hours is kinda ridiculous. Save some time for wow, beer, sun, or whatever else you might enjoy.

Also instead of just reading try reading outloud. One of the cool things I learned from being a psych minor is your brain has different banks for the 5 senses. It can (kinda) double the effectiveness of time spent studying - should you be in crunch mode
  • Options
    greenland888greenland888 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There are many free apps in Google play. CCNA quiz, flash card. Install some and get you familiar with the topics. I found an app by Todd Lammle ($9.99) which is very good. Flash card plus quizzes. makes learning easy.
  • Options
    MonstersandrobotsMonstersandrobots Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think we've all heard the story about the two lumberjacks that were working together. One took a lot of breaks, while the other tirelessly spilt and spilt. While one seemed to be doing much more than the other at the end of the week they had cut the same amount of wood. The wore out lumberjack looked at the rested lumberjack and said "I just don't get it. I work nonstop and you take breaks, yet you cut and spilt just as much wood... HOW?!" The rested lumberjack replied "It's because when I'm sitting down I'm sharpening my axe"

I think you're an intelligent guy and I believe you know where I;'m going with this. Once you reach that point of where things aren't sticking you have to walk away. If you studied an hour or 2 a day and remembered most of it, is that better than studying 4-5 hours a day and remembering none of it?

Take some time out and go do you. Whatever you happens to be. Like hiking? Want to watch tv or play a game? Allow yourself that time.
  • Options
    james43026james43026 Member Posts: 303 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not only do I love this analogy, but I completely agree with the advice. Taking a break is necessary for most people. There are very few people that can study non-stop.
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with all advise given above and just want to add in my 2 cents which is, you should consider taking notes.

Read a chapter or a topic and then summarize it in your own words or understanding on your notes, this will force you to go back and read what you didn't understand because you will need to explain it on your notes as soon as you done reading it. Plus if you can summarize it in your words, you can explain it to someone else and that shows a level of understanding which will always stick. Anyway this is only my studying method, what works for me might not work for you but consider it.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    After a while, it gets to the point that nothing I read stays with me anymore.

I can see that happening when approaching the 5th hour of reading lol. You need to throw a siesta in there.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    johnnyarksjohnnyarks Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    TechytachTechytach Member Posts: 140
    There's no way (anyone) you can retain more than a few hours of study each day. (unless youre a literal savant)

Talking about new information. That isn't to say you can't then go on to lab or do other exercises to cement than info for hours after that.

But it is useless to try to force more than a few hours a day of new info and expect to retain it.
  • Options
    Sy KosysSy Kosys Member Posts: 105 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm feelin' ya doc...I need to change the daily routine some myself, so starting shortly it will be rotating labs, reading, videos, and practice exams. Hopefully get better retention, or at least feel constructive/useful for these 3-4hrs per day.

Also, the game-break is a good method too. When studying for the CCNA, it was literally my daily reward after 5-6hrs of study (was unemployed at the time). Now it's my day off on the weekend that's gameday, and it's good to decompress.

Good luck.
    "The size of your dreams must always exceed your current capacity to achieve them. If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough.”
    ― Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
  • Options
    faintingheartfaintingheart Member Posts: 256
    So how many hours a day should a person study for a Certification? icon_study.gif
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depends on the certification. But normally at least 2-3 hrs per day and when you can on the weekends. It also depends on when you plan to take the test. It varies if you go to school or work.... If you are in school some of your class material can count toward study time.... but normally I try to study at least 1-2 hrs per day and 4hrs on the weekend... and listen to a audio book to and from work.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    So how many hours a day should a person study for a Certification? icon_study.gif

As many as necessary.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    faintingheartfaintingheart Member Posts: 256
  • Options
    johnnyarks wrote: »
    go play halo5

I play Warframe sometimes when I take study breaks.