Options

Studying a certification topic that doesn't particularly interest you.

Benj94Benj94 Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
Have you had to study towards any certifications that don't particularly interest you?
I'm currently studying Network+ and i'm really struggling to stay motivated, however I know it's necessary to get to where I want to be.

Any tips for finishing a certification that isn't of interest?

Server and Storage Analyst
CompTIA A+
MSCA: Server 2016 - 70-710 70-711 70-712

Comments

• Options
    PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Networking is pretty vital to any technical IT job. If it doesn't interest you at this early stage then maybe you're in the wrong game.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • Options
    doctorlexusdoctorlexus Member Posts: 217
    Learning the fundamentals isn't always easy or exciting, but stick with it for the sake of the big picture. Once it all starts coming together, you may find you have a new and better perspective on it all.

Show me encapsulate, decapsulate...
    Also, if Net+ isn't that interesting, perhaps try something more concrete like CCENT. Network+ seems like networking in the abstract (not exactly sure, haven't done that cert), but CCENT/CCNA gives you something concrete, i.e. working with real networking equipment toward a goal.
  • Options
    Learning the fundamentals isn't always easy or exciting, but stick with it for the sake of the big picture. Once it all starts coming together, you may find you have a new and better perspective on it all.

Show me encapsulate, decapsulate...
    Also, if Net+ isn't that interesting, perhaps try something more concrete like CCENT. Network+ seems like networking in the abstract (not exactly sure, haven't done that cert), but CCENT/CCNA gives you something concrete, i.e. working with real networking equipment toward a goal.

I believe this is why i'm feeling burned out. I'm learning fundamentals and concepts which will provide a good foundation for me to build on, but i'm not really learning anything practical. I'm really looking forward to getting Net+ and Sec+ out of the way so I can start to do more hands-on training.
    Hopefully this clip of Mr Miyagi and Daniel will help to spur me on.

CompTIA A+
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From my own experience I hated the foundations.... I thought they were booring, stupid, and unneccesary. Until I got my first IT job and realized that I needed the foundations to do the job right. IT is about building the foundation, then each cert you get after that builds on the first one...

Net+/CCNA/CCNA Sec
    Sec+/CASP/CAP/CISSP etc.....

The foundation is boring but it is necessary to help you learn the more advanced stuff.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    ITSpectre wrote: »
    From my own experience I hated the foundations.... I thought they were booring, stupid, and unneccesary. Until I got my first IT job and realized that I needed the foundations to do the job right. IT is about building the foundation, then each cert you get after that builds on the first one...

Net+/CCNA/CCNA Sec
    Sec+/CASP/CAP/CISSP etc.....

The foundation is boring but it is necessary to help you learn the more advanced stuff.

It sure is. I try to do a chapter a night normally, in order to get a book over and done with.
    The first chapter of my Net+ book is about the OSI Model. Needless to say I haven't progressed very far.
    Normally i'm quite disciplined but I'm really struggling to get going with Network+.

CompTIA A+
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Pseudonym wrote: »
    Networking is pretty vital to any technical IT job. If it doesn't interest you at this early stage then maybe you're in the wrong game.

I think its a phase. He just needs to take things slowly and one topic at a time, perhaps 30-45 minutes a day.

Eventually it would come naturally. Our brain has a way of messing with us.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    KrekenKreken Member Posts: 284
    Skip Net+ and go straight for CCNA. Download GNS3, setup small network + breakout switch. Much more engaging than Net+ imo.
  • Options
    revboxrevbox Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just grinded out the CCNT and CTNS. I wanted to get the telecom/convergence certs, but man did I ever hate the materials. Anyway, that's done now and I can say I have them, move on with my life, enjoy supporting electronic fax software and get back to grinding out cert topics that I actually enjoy.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    @Benj94 - I would rather watch grass grow than study networking material. I've tried plenty of times to study for the CCNA and I just get bored out of my mind. That being said, you do need to know the fundamentals of networking and those are the topics covered in the Network + material. Maybe check out the Network + All in One book by Mike Meyers, it was the only thing that didn't bore me to death about networking.
  • Options
    As awful as it sounds, I feel re-assured to see that other people find these fundamentals boring.
    I need to bite the bullet and just do it. I managed it with the A+ so I can manage it with the Net+. I might just buy my voucher this weekend and book my test.

CompTIA A+