Options

Trying not to feel discouraged.

StillStreamStillStream Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
It feels like studying has been a massive grind lately. I've been doing ok for the CCCure practice tests (around the 70's range) but the Sybex questions I've been getting 50's and 60's on. My exam is on the 24 of June and I'm starting to get a little worried. I finished up the Official CISSP 7th Edition Book and I'm almost done with the Cybrary CISSP videos.

Sorry, I just need to vent to you folks. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Swimfan2516Swimfan2516 Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How often do you study and for how long?
  • Options
    I've been going at it since Early April, starting with the Sybex book. I've been listening to the Kelly Handerhan videos on Cybrary daily. I'd say about 1 hour give or take.

In the meantime, I'm going over some concepts I've had issues with such as the OSI model, SDLC & Crypto. Now, I feel that I need to refresh even more on some of the concepts I thought I was solid in due to the scores I'm getting in the Sybex practice questions.
  • Options
    SeabSeab Member Posts: 127
    Hey,

I think you are on the right way, but need to speed up to make it for the exam.
    CCCure is, imo, the best practice for the exam look & feel. Sybex is good for the concept though.

If you can do more, just do more.

CCCure, level hard is enough.

I used to do 125 questions per domains after reading one domain, plus a couple of exam simulation.

If you have the chance to get 11th Hour Cissp, it is a great summary, I used it twice, once casual, once taking serious notes, and ensuring I was understanding 100% in that book, that's a minimum.

Ensure to do at least one or two simulation exams minimum. If using CCCure, use the TEST mode, not Study mode. It is a great simulation, even if nothing really compare to the real exam.

Finally, visit this forum often and share. This was helping me to keep me in the mood and being super motivated to see other people working hard toward the same goal!

Maybe share a bit more of your experience, IT background, other certification to give an idea.
  • Options
    Swimfan2516Swimfan2516 Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I certainly would look over how each of the domains are broken down in the Sybex book and do a self-assessment. I thought the presentation of the material was well laid out but that is certainly my opinion. To echo Seab's last post your experience, IT background, and other certifications will give a good idea... but maybe a good break from CISSP materials for a few days might also help.. when you return you might have a renewed sense of energy and confidence... You certainly don't want to go into the 6-hour exam already defeated before you answer your first question...

cheers
  • Options
    tuanp703tuanp703 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hint** I would also recommend that you should also consider going over the ISC2Education flashcards from quizlet as well.
  • Options
    webpriestesswebpriestess Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey Stream! I'm sorry I didn't reply to this sooner.

I agree with the others - I think it would be wise to focus on the domains that you are having a tough time with. When I first started studying, I would only do my tests on one domain at a time to gauge my strength on them.

Also - like the others have asked: how long are you studying? What is your background?

I passed on Monday. Just to give you an idea on how much I prepared - I probably put in 300+ hours in 10 weeks. But that's everything - reading, studying, research, listening, lectures, and practice exams.

Here are somethings that have helped me tremendously:
    ::To me, just reading the book wasn't enough. I had to go through and highlight things that I was shaking on. Then I would go back and write them down. Read it, process it and then write *in your own words* the concept. I'm so solid on IPSec because of this technique.

::Don't lean on just one book for a source. Although the Sybex book is probably the best, and you are running out of time. There is a facebook group dedicated to the CISSP and it's really amazing. Some people would suggestion reading Conrad's 11th hour, but I have heard very mixed reviews on that book. I personally didn't read it - I read his 3rd edition on CISSP and thought the book was an 8/10.

::Go get your hand's on Shon's old mp3 audio lectures. This woman knew her stuff inside and out. While it's the old 10 domains, it still is the same information. There's a lot - but if you cover your areas of weakness (see my first point), you should get that practice score up. You can find them here:
    https://www.mhprofessional.com/sites/CISSPExams/exam.php?id=AccessControl

I totally get you wanting to come here to vent. Everyone here can attest to the fact that I did the same exact thing when I was preparing for my exam. It's because we get where you are coming from. I'm giving you a hand pat. Immerse yourself in CISSP this weekend.

I wish you the best of luck.
    ::Claudia
  • Options
    emekaokammoremekaokammor Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you don't feel ready, you can reschedule your exam
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Honestly after failing twice the CISSP exam, you sound like you are at where I was the first time I took the exam. I say you need another month. Push that exam back towards mid May. Really nail those practice tests. First attempt I was getting mid 70s to low 80s on CCCure and I felt 100% confident and well here we are 3rd attempt late June for me.

It is most definitely frustrating when you score 669 first exam, 695 second exam! failed by 5 points! AHHHHHH!!!!! I truly hope when I do pass, not IF but WHEN, that the satisfaction and reward is just as great as my sorrow of failing.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    Hey guys, I haven't been checking this thread in minute. I didn't know people responded to it until 20 minutes ago from this post I made here. My exam is on June 24th.

So, I've been reviewing my notes lately and going through the cccure practice questions lately. Ironically, I've been having trouble with the Hard questions and I was doing better on the Pro questions. I'm averaging about a 70+ on the questions now. Few times when I hit the high 60's due to the wording of questions. I feel that I'm getting better so far and I'll be kicking up a notch.

My background is all government. I'm a contractor. I have 5+ years in IT experience. I was a Desktop Support Engineer, now I work in Information Assurance and have been for the past 2+ years now. Eventually, I'll be going into Security Consulting.

I usually study about an hour or more a dat and that includes doing practice tests, listening to Cybrary or reviewing notes.

My study repitoire is the Official ISC2 Sybex 7th Edition Book, Cybrary, Cccure, government notes and resources and notes from this forum.