Options

Did not pass on my first attempt

emekaokammoremekaokammor Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I took the exam about a month ago and scored 670.

My study material was as follows:
  • SANS CISSP prep course
  • Eric Conrads CISSP Study Guide, 2nd edition
  • Sybex CISSP Study guide, 7th edition
  • Complied 500 question domain specific practice exam in classmarker
  • Used the Sybex 1000 question bank practice exams

After the SANS course I took about a month to keep studying (4hr/day) and practicing.

I'm planning to pick up my studies again and take the exam again sometime in the fall.

What are some good study material and/or practice exams that people are using?

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    What is your background and experience like? It's very unusual to go through the SANS course and not pass.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Unless you have other personal reasons or work related reasons, waiting until the fall is the most dangerous and inadvisable thing you can do. There is so much information the little concepts that tie topics together you will forget and have to spend another 3 months getting it all down again. Keep at it man! Do not let frustration kick in.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    MS in MIS and 5 years as a security analyst.

I thought it was unusual as well but I know of a few other students who took the SANS CISSP prep course and did not pass on their first attempt as well. Actually, I don't know anyone from the SANS course that passed the first time.
  • Options
    It's a financial decision. My wife is a teacher and does not get pay over the summer so my family has to operate on a tight budget until the fall.
  • Options
    oh that is understandable. Hopefully you can continue to study during that time and not push it off until fall. Stay sharp and keep the concepts fresh! Good luck!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
  • Options
    Thanks Chris! If you don't mind, can you share some study tips?
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's a financial decision. My wife is a teacher and does not get pay over the summer so my family has to operate on a tight budget until the fall.

Hmmm I always thought teachers got paid during the summer?? It may not be the same in all states but here in VA teachers can opt to get paid a little less so they can still have pay during summer... but each state is different.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    I'm in FL and my wife teaches Pre-K for the county. The months of June and July are unpaid, their pay starts again when they start training in August. I worked for the school system as well and the IT department had that option of taking a little less so that they could have summer pay.
  • Options
    First attempt = failed score 669 (read sybex 7th, Sybex test questions, CCCure) **Admittedly went to the test with half the understanding of the concepts, tried to get by with memorizing practice test questions, was only scoring 75-83% passing on CCCure**

Second attempt = Failed 695! Failed by 5 points (Watched Cybrary Kelly Videos, Study more concepts and actually understand them!, Memorized much of the Sunflower notes "HUGE help here", free practice test from McGraw "very hard questions." **After failing the first exam, the results show you from greatest to least the topics you failed. So I focused on those areas during my methods listed above.**

I should have passed, but during the test you get a batch of questions here and there with one line sentences that I may have rushed by being over confident. Each question is NOT worth a certain amount of points, this is a graded scale, so failing by 5 points is literally half a question or 1 question, who knows but 5 points man! ahhhhh!

So now I am taking another month to study using the same technique (CCCure questions, McGraw questions, Sunflower notes, Cybrary Videos.) I will take my time and I WILL pass!!!!

Mcgraw practice tests - https://www.mhprofessional.com/sites/CISSPExams/exam.php?id=AccessControl
    Sunflower notes - https://www.studynotesandtheory.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Sunflower_CISSP-1.pdf
    Cybrary free videos - https://www.cybrary.it/course/cissp/

Good luck!
  • Options
    protacticusprotacticus Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi, please just keep pushing, you're so close now. Make sure you look free CISSP Cybrary course, free Shon Harris video course and consider to use cccure questions (50$ monthly). Perhaps it would be helpful to identify you weak domains (information after the exam) and increase knowledge with a referent book. For example: CISSP All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition or Official (ISC)2 Guide to the CISSP CBK, Fourth Edition.Good luck buddy
  • Options
    chrisone wrote: »
    First attempt = failed score 669 (read sybex 7th, Sybex test questions, CCCure) **Admittedly went to the test with half the understanding of the concepts, tried to get by with memorizing practice test questions, was only scoring 75-83% passing on CCCure**

Second attempt = Failed 695! Failed by 5 points (Watched Cybrary Kelly Videos, Study more concepts and actually understand them!, Memorized much of the Sunflower notes "HUGE help here", free practice test from McGraw "very hard questions." **After failing the first exam, the results show you from greatest to least the topics you failed. So I focused on those areas during my methods listed above.**

I should have passed, but during the test you get a batch of questions here and there with one line sentences that I may have rushed by being over confident. Each question is NOT worth a certain amount of points, this is a graded scale, so failing by 5 points is literally half a question or 1 question, who knows but 5 points man! ahhhhh!

So now I am taking another month to study using the same technique (CCCure questions, McGraw questions, Sunflower notes, Cybrary Videos.) I will take my time and I WILL pass!!!!

Mcgraw practice tests - https://www.mhprofessional.com/sites/CISSPExams/exam.php?id=AccessControl
    Sunflower notes - https://www.studynotesandtheory.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Sunflower_CISSP-1.pdf
    Cybrary free videos - https://www.cybrary.it/course/cissp/

Good luck!

I wish you the best and thank you for the materials.
  • Options
    Hi, please just keep pushing, you're so close now. Make sure you look free CISSP Cybrary course, free Shon Harris video course and consider to use cccure questions (50$ monthly). Perhaps it would be helpful to identify you weak domains (information after the exam) and increase knowledge with a referent book. For example: CISSP All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition or Official (ISC)2 Guide to the CISSP CBK, Fourth Edition.Good luck buddy

Appreciate it Protacticus!
  • Options
    CISSP_kaCISSP_ka Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cybrary!!! Great free course!! The best one.
    https://www.cybrary.it/course/cissp/
  • Options
    CISSP_kaCISSP_ka Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Also free trial safaribooksonline.com accounts via temporary mail as much as you want and read and watch!
  • Options
    stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
    who was the SANS instructor ?
    Free Reading : History Books