Options

Restarting from chapter 1

JerryLJerryL Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
Failed my 410 exam by more than I like. I had used the labs from Boson and their question labs also. While the labs questions were good, found that they didn't quite measure up to what was expected.

Changed my training method:

- Reading Mark Manasi's Mastering Server 2012R2 and going through it page by page
- Brought home a couple of PCs and loaded server on them
- Still have the Boson questions, but changed to studying Transcenders as well after reading the many comments on how good Transcenders is by comparison
- slowed down in the studying so i'm not rushing it as much.

Noticed the following:

- Working on the actual server is sooooo much better than even the best labs
- Things stick more when you're working on the actual server rather than a lab (again even the best labs)
- Feel a better sense of accomplishment when things work out right on the actual server and i complete a section of the book
- Going through the book will also shorten the length of time required for studying for 411 (hopefully)

It'll be a bit longer till I write my test again, but I think that I'll be more prepared with working on the actual equipment rather than just labs.

Comments

• Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MS exams can humble you. It's not always so cut and dried that you know it or you don't like with Cisco exams. Good luck going forward.
  • Options
    AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used the Transcender for the 410 and they were extremely helpful. I got them again for the 411 but found them to be lacking for that one so I also bought the MeasureUp and the Boson. I didn't really care for the Boson at all honestly even though a lot of people seem to speak very highly of them. I just found them to be too far out of the scope of what the actual exam is like. I do understand where they're coming from a little bit by trying to have you perhaps think outside the box but it just didn't work for me. I got too frustrated with the Boson exams to really use them much. Like I said though, Transcender was great for the 410 so those should help you out immensely! The exams are tough and even the most seasoned veterans end up failing them the first time they sit for an MS exam so don't feel bad. Good luck in your future studies!
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • Options
    That's the same thing that I found about the Boson exam questions. However, they were still good in that they provided a lot of information and very good answers to their questions. As mentioned, working on the Transcender questions as well as working on the actual server.
    Funny thing is that I've worked as a Sys Admin but doing the job and knowing the answers to MS questions is a whole lot different. icon_study.gif

Tks for the feedback.
  • Options
    JerryL wrote: »
    Funny thing is that I've worked as a Sys Admin but doing the job and knowing the answers to MS questions is a whole lot different. icon_study.gif

That's exactly the same boat I'm in :)
    All the best,
    Anderson

• Options
    Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have to agree working on server is much easier for me then reading. Since I don't work on server much at work the lab is always good. Doing the book way is some times good but learning the tricks here and there are better. That's why with the exam i was lost on some of the questions they asked because I never tried them that way.

I"m really pushing to pass this exam next month. during my lunch i been reading on my ipad a couple pages.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • Options
    Glad to see that I'm not alone. :D

I've been working on servers since 2003 on everything from setting them up, daily maintenance and group policies. As Alan2308 said, MS exams can humble you. I think I only failed by 3 or 4 question, but a fail is still a fail. May have to change careers to either Medieval folk dancing or basket weaving. icon_sad.gif

Either way, progressing through the mastering book at a steady pace. Working on it about 3 hours a night. Even at that, due to the size of the book, it's still a slow trek, but i think I'm learning different things that I hadn't gone through before or didn't spend much time on. Hoping to write by end July. Then on to 411.

Still want to get back to my Cisco. Have my home lab sitting next to beckoning me to start it back up. icon_biggrin.gif
  • Options
    Well the good news Jerry is that you're in the right place! I've found this forum to be very helpful in preparing for my exams! Glad to have you aboard!
    All the best,
    Anderson