Options

Cisco's $10 Million in Scholarships for Cyber

Comments

• Options
    RepliconReplicon Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did mine today and fot 28.17, I missed one question because I did not read the choices properly, damn I am a bit pissed off, at first I was happy with having more then 28 but when I saw the questions review I was pissed as I clearly new that question and made stupid mistake.
    Hope that will not be the reason not t get the scholarship.
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I signed up on 9/14. Got the assessment email on 9/23.
    Finished this in 13 minutes 10 seconds.
    score: 27.5/30
    grade: 91.67
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just passed not as hard as I thought! :D

marks: 27.33
    grade: 91.11
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • Options
    RepliconReplicon Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How do you know that you passes? Is there publicly known pass score threshold?
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Replicon wrote: »
    How do you know that you passes? Is there publicly known pass score threshold?

Think he must of meant he just "finished". As there is no passing score and no one knows what they are looking for score wise. Getting over 90% could mean you have no chance of getting chosen for all we know. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    techsecuritytechsecurity Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Morning Guys,

This is our month. Any news so far?
  • Options
    esr0159esr0159 Member Posts: 80 ■□□□□□□□□□
    no email yet from cisco
    CCNP R&S | Planning to hit IE R&S or JNCIA or Security path|
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would not expect word until Halloween or the middle of November.
  • Options
    denverMaxdenverMax Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just finished the assessment. 23/30. Some very typical poorly-worded Cisco-style exam questions (one in particular about default gateways that made no sense).
  • Options
    chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    Just happened to know about this program last week when I surfed the Cisco official website. Felt like this is quite interesting and eager to learn new things, I registered it. Didn't think much about it till last night I received an email from them to take an assessment test for technical gauging. Was anxious about it but took the bold step to take the exam. When I finished it and clicked on the "Submit" button, there was a sign of relief from me, phew! And I was surprised that the result was out immediately and I feel so glad that I passed the test. :)
    After reviewing the mistake I got, I think I need to improve on my Linux knowledge.

Best wishes to you guys/ladies on this Cisco program too. :)
  • Options
    muneebkalathilmuneebkalathil Member Posts: 148
    From the FB Page >>

Have Cybersecurity & Cybersecurity Scholarship questions? Join us on Twitter for a #CiscoChat with @TomGilheany & @MannyGelaga Oct 6 at 10am PDT #NCSAM #NationalCyberSecurityAwarenessMonth

Fired up about the Cisco Cybersecurity Scholarship program and the security operations analyst role it will prepare you for? Find out why security operations is so crucial today: http://cs.co/6184Bh25M
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I still haven't heard back from Cisco about this, have you?? I am curious what the passing score to get a Cisco scholarship. AND wonder how many participants they had, this could be why it is taking awhile for a response. Cheers! icon_clown.gif
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    snakeuptilitsnakeuptilit Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    took the exam today after getting the email on 9/23 lol. Let's see what happens...
  • Options
    godfather1930godfather1930 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    From the FB Page >>

Have Cybersecurity & Cybersecurity Scholarship questions? Join us on Twitter for a #CiscoChat with @TomGilheany & @MannyGelaga Oct 6 at 10am PDT #NCSAM#NationalCyberSecurityAwarenessMonth

Fired up about the Cisco Cybersecurity Scholarship program and the security operations analyst role it will prepare you for? Find out why security operations is so crucial today: http://cs.co/6184Bh25M

Do you folks have any idea on what have they talked about on twitter?
  • Options
    SpetsRepairSpetsRepair Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My company recognizes this cert and will reimburse costs, time etc.. The thing is can anyone just study/take this exam or you have to be chosen so far?
  • Options
    whoknewwhoknew Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    BuzzSaw wrote: »
    We will all be waiting awhile I would guess.

I think the assessment is to do two things:

1. Make sure that people have a VERY basic understanding as stipulated in the program criteria - how successful would the low scorers actually be?
    2. To make sure that people coming into the program have the most likely shot to succeed.

This is the same reason some colleges have close to a 100% graduation rate. Not because they are amazing at turning around low grade students into high grade student. They are very picky with who they let in.

Maybe I'm wrong ... but I would think the only people that get "cut" based on assessment would be those who score very low. I am only basing this on what Cisco has already told us.

I think that BuzzSaw is on the right track with this line of reasoning. The logistical efforts that would be required of Cisco to extract, verify & then filter yet more candidate metadata to decide which applicants to admit would daunting & expensive to say the least. Additionally, Cisco do NOT want a massive failure to stain the moniker of this new certification by risking enrollment of borderline candidates. Having a failure rate of 40 or 50% would deal quite the setback to their goals of getting 10,000 people certified ASAP.

Although we may not like the methodology, the most probable metric for admission will be assessment score. I scored 27/30 on September 8th & I'm not counting on being offered a place in the program. Its pure numbers & it will be interesting to see if Cisco publishes the statistics of this application & selection process. Wouldn't hold my breath on that one.
    "I got a BAD feeling about this..."

What's Next: CISM, CompTIA CySA+ & PenTest+, OSCP, CCNP Security, GSEC, GPEN
  • Options
    Ertaz wrote: »
    Im probably out of the running. Oh well, I will have returned from my GPEN course then and be focusing on that exam. Good luck to those who get selected. I need something OS/Cisco related after that to meet DOD requirements.

Eratz, can you share with us your GPEN course & certification experience? What did you read/do to prepare for their course? Did you take the certification exam? The GOOD leads....just give us the good leads... TIA

• Options
    whoknew wrote: »
    Eratz, can you share with us your GPEN course & certification experience? What did you read/do to prepare for their course? Did you take the certification exam? The GOOD leads....just give us the good leads... TIA

I am on Day 5 right now. If you do pen testing then this class will help you understand the business side of the house but be mostly review. If you do incident response, or vulnerability management then you have a good baseline of knowledge that this class will expand to prepare you to really start learning the advanced stuff with a cert like the OSCP. It's really a lot about tools and a high level overview of concepts. You can take these back with you and use them to develop more polished and advanced usages. Each day covers around 190 slides and its all packed with info. This class would really help a person studying for their CASP, imo. I will probably take the exam in a few weeks after I return home. The plan: lab everything up, say the appropriate amount of curse words, build my index, take the first practice exam, more curse words, refine index, lab again, second practice exam, say many self affirming things, schedule then take and pass the exam.
  • Options
    mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Saw on LinkedIn that people were being accepted. Anyone else get accepted? Congrats if you did. I didn't apply. I wish you all the best of luck, and I hope this thread was useful to some of you.
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
  • Options
    CIOCIO Member Posts: 151
    I haven't heard anything from Cisco yet.

Does anyone know if they are notifying individuals who have been accepted into the program and those who were not accepted?
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    CIO wrote: »
    I haven't heard anything from Cisco yet.

Does anyone know if they are notifying individuals who have been accepted into the program and those who were not accepted?

I haven't received a notification either way yet, and I was in the first group to receive the other emails. It's only mid october, so I wouldn't be concerned.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    OctalDump wrote: »
    I haven't received a notification either way yet, and I was in the first group to receive the other emails. It's only mid october, so I wouldn't be concerned.

No word here yet either.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I was originally hoping they would be starting trainings by Nov 1st as I know they ask for a 90 day commitment and the timing would have worked well. I wonder how rigid the training structure will be.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    Ertaz wrote: »
    I am on Day 5 right now. If you do pen testing then this class will help you understand the business side of the house but be mostly review. If you do incident response, or vulnerability management then you have a good baseline of knowledge that this class will expand to prepare you to really start learning the advanced stuff with a cert like the OSCP. It's really a lot about tools and a high level overview of concepts. You can take these back with you and use them to develop more polished and advanced usages. Each day covers around 190 slides and its all packed with info. This class would really help a person studying for their CASP, imo. I will probably take the exam in a few weeks after I return home. The plan: lab everything up, say the appropriate amount of curse words, build my index, take the first practice exam, more curse words, refine index, lab again, second practice exam, say many self affirming things, schedule then take and pass the exam.

Oh, my dear Eratz, you've abandoned in that scheme your own cherished moniker: "I drink and I know things" Revisit that plan & include your own words of wisdom. Best of luck.

Also, no word from Cisco for me with respect to the CCNA Cyber Ops scholarship....yet.

• Options
    techsecuritytechsecurity Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys,

Seems strange that none of the techexams members has been accepted so far. Lets hope for the best until the end of month.
  • Options
    Hey guys,

Seems strange that none of the techexams members has been accepted so far. Lets hope for the best until the end of month.
    Positive vibes going out to my TE brothers and sisters. May the odds be ever in your favor.
  • Options
    Blade3DBlade3D Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Took the exam a week or two ago, have not heard anything yet. I scored like a 80% or so.
    Title: Sr. Systems Designer
    Degree: B.S. in Computing Science, emphasis Information Assurance
    Certifications: CISSP, PSP, Network+, Security+, CySA+, OSWP
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hey guys,

huh? I assumed everyone was too busy going through the coursework they gave to everyone... That reminds me I need to schedule the test with voucher they sent me.
  • Options
    devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    huh? I assumed everyone was too busy going through the coursework they gave to everyone... That reminds me I need to schedule the test with voucher they sent me.
    You got a voucher? I did so well on the assessment they just sent me the cert in the mail.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I'm late to the party, have just signed up now icon_silent.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com