Options

Cisco's $10 Million in Scholarships for Cyber

Comments

• Options
    cmztechcmztech Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Everyone, if you are using GMail, make sure to look under the Promotions tab! That's where I found mine, it came in at 2am, today!
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    shochan wrote: »
    Why would you fake it?? It's like lying on a resume...have some integrity & check the correct boxes that pertains to what you possess. If you cannot figure it out, re-read it until you understand what they are asking for.
    Have some integrity....lmao

https://www.hop-law.com/court-upholds-8-million-whistleblower-award-arising-from-lawsuit-over-comstor-cisco-fraud-claims/
  • Options
    chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    Yes honesty is gold. Do not lose personal integrity just to get into the program.
  • Options
    HafssolHafssol Member Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did anybody receive an email saying that they don't qualify because they didn't score well enough on the test?
    Certs: CCNA Cyber Ops, CCNA Routing and Switching, CFR, Sec+, Net+
  • Options
    xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    Alright guys, we got the word out about integrity on techexam, now how do we tell the rest of the 1 million applicants?
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Alright guys, we got the word out about integrity on techexam, now how do we tell the rest of the 1 million applicants?

Cisco knows that some are lying. Same as they know some use braindumps. It's just the way it is, and they probably have a set percentage set for those they think are lying, using ****, falsifying information. It's part of their process I'd guess.

The best we can do is to keep our integrity and stick out on our own.
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I am still dumbfounded as to why people want this cert so much. But hey, I guess its free stuff.

What we should all be doing on this forum is starting a revolt against CISCO and its support of H1b; especially for a company that was founded in the US and fired over 5k US employees while building a more robust foreign employee workforce. Add the countless fraud cases that CISCO has settled against the government and you have a role model company for sure. ....so integrity you say huh...

Anyways, I can't wait to start this cert...yay
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,566 Mod
    Cyberscum wrote: »
    I am still dumbfounded as to why people want this cert so much. But hey, I guess its free stuff.

I'm amazed too...it's just a ccna...
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    I'm amazed too...it's just a ccna...
    I dont think that anyone wants this cert more than any other cert, however this thread is dedicated to the topic. Nobody even knows how this cert will hold up or what it will compare to but they are offering it for free. So its got that going for them.
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm only interested because it's free.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    alias454 wrote: »
    I'm only interested because it's free.

I understand, but CCNa isn't expensive. but hey a free cert is a free cert :) I signed up anyway (albeit a bit late..)

• Options
    nopx90nopx90 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm only interested because my CCNA R/S is expiring next year.
  • Options
    godfather1930godfather1930 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Do any of you know if the training for those accepted will be solely online training, self-paced, or it will also be on a partner's premises, with specialized trainers? icon_rolleyes.gif

Best of luck to you all,
  • Options
    I understand, but CCNa isn't expensive. but hey a free cert is a free cert :) I signed up anyway (albeit a bit late..)

You're right, the CCNA itself isn't that much but hey, I'm cheap, what can I say ;)? Honestly, it is the additional training where I think the value is.

A comment in the Cisco blog might tell us something about when the selections will take place Closing the talent gap to secure the future: Cisco rolls out $10 million cybersecurity scholarship.

"This program will last two years starting in August 2016, and participants will be featured in success stories about their participation after completion of the program."
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A free security cert from a top company in IT... Can't say I've seen that happen too often myself. I guess if your company pays for your training and cert attempts you wouldn't be too excited. But I know my mine doesn't, so kinda looking forward to not having to spend a few hundred dollars. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    A free security cert from a top company in IT... Can't say I've seen that happen too often myself. I guess if your company pays for your training and cert attempts you wouldn't be too excited. But I know my mine doesn't, so kinda looking forward to not having to spend a few hundred dollars. icon_rolleyes.gif

Well, I think this is a market share grab by Cisco. Other than the CISSP, what security cert has really taken hold and dominated the industry? In my opinion, there is a definite skills gap on the practitioner side. Cisco is trying use their name recognition to fill that vacuum. The CASP/CSXP are good certs but they are platform agnostic and don't have any real established base. This benefits Cisco in many ways. They assure that there are folks trained in their product available for hire or already in an employer's stable. This will incline businesses to buy a suite of products that the employment market leans toward and their existing folks are already familiar with. Essentially they are attempting to corner the skillset market through free training. I see this as going high aggro against the other players.
  • Options
    shortiebsshortiebs Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anyone get atleast 20/30 on the assessment and still no email? i got either 22 or 23 out of 30 and still no email for the next step.
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    shortiebs wrote: »
    Anyone get atleast 20/30 on the assessment and still no email? i got either 22 or 23 out of 30 and still no email for the next step.

I got 22.6/30, and rec'd the email for final step.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    when did you take the test?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    when did you take the test?

mid Sept
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Got the email, the only "advantageous" demographic I was able to check off was that I had under 5 years' work experience.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • Options
    ITBotITBot Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Its the commitment of all those hours that's giving me pause.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Gives me pause too.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My answer to why I'm excited about this is of course because it's free and because it seems like most employers are looking for a Cisco cert of some kind. I guess because it's hands-on not like the n+ (which I'm almost ready to take the test on). I'm currently looking to get my foot in the door of security and since I'm not working, why not? I'm always open if someone has a better idea.
  • Options
    nopx90nopx90 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Scored 90+ on the assessment. No e-mail....... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    GeekyChick wrote: »
    My answer to why I'm excited about this is of course because it's free and because it seems like most employers are looking for a Cisco cert of some kind. I guess because it's hands-on not like the n+ (which I'm almost ready to take the test on). I'm currently looking to get my foot in the door of security and since I'm not working, why not? I'm always open if someone has a better idea.

Definitely get that Network+ over with before you go after Cisco, when is your N+ test?...That CCNA is tougher than most ppl think, especially on subnetting. This Cisco cyber stuff will be interesting for sure! We should know sometime in Nov, woo!
  • Options
    Ertaz wrote: »
    Well, I think this is a market share grab by Cisco. Other than the CISSP, what security cert has really taken hold and dominated the industry? .....

The answer is SANS GIAC.

• Options
    I hadn't checked my personal email in a few days and just noticed I had a third email form Cisco regarding the CyberOPS cert. It stated, "I had scored high enough on my assessment to move on to the final step." From here I will be contacted sometime in mid November if I am selected to participate.
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The answer is SANS GIAC.

I should have chosen a different turn of phrase. I'll agree that the GIAC certs are popular in the security space, but they aren't nearly as popular in the HR screening process. GIAC is also vendor neutral, which is good for general knowledge but doesn't say you know how to do something in a vendor specific product. This program distributes Cisco knowledge for free in order to sell more Cisco solutions.
  • Options
    Yes, the same reason when you take college courses online, MS gives you free software. Get people using your stuff and they won't want to change. This is clearly good for Cisco but overall it is probably good for the industry too.