Options

Cisco's $10 Million in Scholarships for Cyber

Comments

• Options
    devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thatguy67 wrote: »
    Got the email, the only "advantageous" demographic I was able to check off was that I had under 5 years' work experience.
    I think it may be the opposite. You may be required to have a certain number of years experience like CISSP in order to qualify for the qualification.
  • Options
    GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @shochan

Yes, I'm planning on taking the n+ November before Thanksgiving. I've already read Mike Meyer's book and I'm halfway through reading the Exam Cram n+ and taking some practice tests. I'm definitely not ready for the CCNA. I need to get hands-on practice first. I almost don't care if I get a job or not.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    I got an email last week saying I'd be notified in the middle of November via email if I was selected into the scholarship program.
    Anyone notified yet?
    meh
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    GeekyChick wrote: »
    @shochan

Yes, I'm planning on taking the n+ November before Thanksgiving. I've already read Mike Meyer's book and I'm halfway through reading the Exam Cram n+ and taking some practice tests. I'm definitely not ready for the CCNA. I need to get hands-on practice first. I almost don't care if I get a job or not.

Definitely review subnetting!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    techsecuritytechsecurity Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In general I think if you checked the box about the <5 years and one of the following regarding the certs then you are good to go. Lets see what happens.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, and 18 pages is a lot to read to check, but the first component of the online course is "Introduction to CyberSecurity". This is a free course on Netacad and is available now. So if you want to get a head start, you could sign up for this course. Worst case you get a feel for how Cisco views CyberSecurity.

EDIT:
    It appears that you can only enrol if you are already signed up with a Network Academy.

EDIT2:
    Or (thanks to Stryder114) Sign up for the Packet Tracer 101 course, then sign up for the Introduction to Cybersecurity course.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    OctalDump wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, and 18 pages is a lot to read to check, but the first component of the online course is "Introduction to CyberSecurity". This is a free course on Netacad and is available now. So if you want to get a head start, you could sign up for this course. Worst case you get a feel for how Cisco views CyberSecurity.
    I am trying to select self paced, but it directs me to places that 'could' offer the course, which they are not. bummer
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    I am trying to select self paced, but it directs me to places that 'could' offer the course, which they are not. bummer

Sorry, I just realised that rather important caveat. You do need to be signed up with an academy already. Hopefully it will still be useful to a few people here.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Here is one possible route, don't know if it will work or not but it might be worth the try. Sign up for the Packet Tracer 101 course through Cisco. This gives you the option to download Packet Tracer and then you should be able to sign up for the Cyber Security course. That is, I believe, how I got access to the course.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    sheikysheiky Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Stryder, Thanks a ton. Your routing table worked. God Bless you for sharing. Love u... :)
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,566 Mod
    @Stryder: is introduction to cyber security the same thing as CCNA cyber security?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    @UnixGuy...it is not the same. This is, in a way, a teaser course in cyber security. Informational, mind you, but not intended to get you to the certification level.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Id probably just look over the recommended study material on their site instead of taking that course to get a good idea of what topics they are going to go over on this certification. https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccna-cyber-ops/secfnd/study-material
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Id probably just look over the recommended study material on their site instead of taking that course to get a good idea of what topics they are going to go over on this certification. https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccna-cyber-ops/secfnd/study-material

I'd say watching the video is better than sitting around and watching this while you wait: https://youtu.be/O4gqsuww6lw
  • Options
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    @Stryder: is introduction to cyber security the same thing as CCNA cyber security?

The proposed CCNA Cyber Ops course that half of us have signed up for, includes as its first module this "Introduction to Cybersecurity" course, which is free. This is followed by 2 more courses which are not yet available, each corresponding to one of the two CCNA Cyber Ops exams.

The approximate time commitments required for the web-based training are as follows: 15 hours for the "Introduction to Cybersecurity" course, 100 to 120 hours for the "Understanding Cisco Cybersecurity Fundamentals" (SECFND) course, and 100 to 115 hours for the "Implementing Cisco Cybersecurity Operations" (SECOPS) course.

So this "Introduction to Cybersecurity" is just the first 15 hours of a ~250 hours total of study. But it gives a taste, and gets one bit out of the way.

Also it is possible that the Introduction to CyberSecurity course will be updated before the Cyber Ops course actually runs.
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The proposed CCNA Cyber Ops course that half of us have signed up for, includes as its first module this "Introduction to Cybersecurity" course, which is free. This is followed by 2 more courses which are not yet available, each corresponding to one of the two CCNA Cyber Ops exams.

So this "Introduction to Cybersecurity" is just the first 15 hours of a ~250 hours total of study. But it gives a taste, and gets one bit out of the way.

Also it is possible that the Introduction to CyberSecurity course will be updated before the Cyber Ops course actually runs.

Went through the existing one today in around 45 minutes. If 5 hours of this course is equivalent to 15 minutes, then the rest of the course should take around 12.5 hours. Lol.
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's good to know. I remember from my college classes they stated x amount of time should be allocated per credit. I am sure Cisco is using some generic formula to come up with the times.

I should add that time probably takes into account time for reading on your own, time for videos, time to interact with other people in their forums etc.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    In addition to what alias said, I'm sure that 250 hour commitment is for people with little to no security experience. For those of us with other security certs and security experience I'm sure the commitment wont be near as much.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    We all know the definition of "recommended" and "guidelines". I'm not sure if Cisco explicitly said 250 hours is a requirement, but I would hope common sense would Trump this 250 hour thing.
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • Options
    The proposed CCNA Cyber Ops course that half of us have signed up for, includes as its first module this "Introduction to Cybersecurity" course

Just curious, where did you find out that the course you listed was the first module of the Cyber Ops program?
  • Options
    It says it in the email many of us received asking us to finish the scholarship process.

• Options
    TY sir! Shows how closely I read that thing icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Hahaha...no problem. I had to read it after OctalDump mentioned it...so you are not the only one, my friend!

• Options
    Accurs3DAccurs3D Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just replied to the email 'one final step' from Cisco today. Somehow I missed it and the Oct 31 deadline. Oh well, I went ahead and responded anyway. Hopefully I didn't screw myself over.
  • Options
    Abdullah.AAAbdullah.AA Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A recent update from one of the moderators on Cisco Cyber Ops Study group:
    The Global Cybersecurity Scholarship program has had a tremendous positive response from candidates and has received an overwhelming number of applications. By now, many applicants have gone through the initial assessment and many have qualified to move one step further, into the final stage of the selection process.

Here are some of the most recent commonly asked questions from the Cybersecurity Scholarship program.
    Question #1: When will I hear back the results of the Final Step Qualification questionnaire I just took for the Cybersecurity Scholarship program?

Answer: We will be reviewing the results and plan on getting back to the participants by mid-November to notify them if they were accepted into the Cybersecurity Scholarship program.

Question #2: I heard that a Final Step Qualification questionnaire went out with more requested information by Cisco. I didn’t receive that email - Why not?

Answer:Not all applicants received the Final Step Qualification questionnaire. Those that received the Final Step Qualification questionnaire were ranked higher in the technical assessment. If you did not see the request for a questionnaire on October 24, 2016 then you were not accepted in the Scholarship program.
    Question #3: When I am going to hear about whether I got into the Cybersecurity Scholarship program?

Answer: You will be notified if you are accepted into the program by mid-November.

Question #4: When will the program begin if I'm accepted into the Cybersecurity Scholarship program?

Answer:The date of the start of the program for those accepted will be communicated approximately early December 2016.

Question #5: If I get accepted into the Cybersecurity Scholarship program, how much time do I have to complete the course training and exams?

Answer: The candidate will need to complete both the CCNA Cyber Ops Certification exams and curriculum over the 3-month time window.
    Question #6: Will the course training be held for 8 hours 5 times a week or would it depend on the student as long as the student finishes the Cybersecurity Scholarship program within 3 months?

Answer:The courses are self-paced, so the timing is up to the student, as long as they complete the program over the time-window provided.

Question #7: How will the Cybersecurity Scholarship program course training and exams be delivered?

Answer:In order to maximize global, geographic availability of the program, the curriculum will be taught entirely online. Cisco will deliver the course training in partnership with Key Cisco Authorized Learning Partners.

The CCNA Cyber Ops Certification exams will be taken at a physical testing center, similar to existing Cisco Certification exams.
    source:
    https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-31525

good luck to those accepted. Hard luck to those not accepted.
    now we can put to rest the confusion/arguments/speculation on what assessment grade is acceptable icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    CertifiedMonkeyCertifiedMonkey Member Posts: 172 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow! Nice find Abdullah!

I want to know if everything worked out for the person who intentionally got a low score.
  • Options
    yuddhidhtiryuddhidhtir Member Posts: 197 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Today I filled the Final Step Qualification questionnaire, icon_rolleyes.gifLet c
    “Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment; full effort is full victory.”
  • Options
    techsecuritytechsecurity Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So, this week is the most important one until now. But I dont seem to understand question 7. All the materials will be online but we will attend also an academy or it means that the curriculum will be available on cisco academies for those that are not accepted in the scholarship?
  • Options
    ZinubisZinubis Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So I took my assessment test and felt I had earned a passing score. I was advised that I would receive an email by the end of October. I checked each day and heard nothing back so I figured there was just a delay. Today I performed a manual look up of Cisco in my gmail and discovered the email was sent to me on the 25th. It essentially said that I passed the assesment and to click a link before October 31st to finish the final part of this process. Essentially the email showed up in my inbox folder according to the search but when checking the inbox folder the email was not showing. I did have other emails from the learning@cisco address but not for that specific date and not for that specific email. The email was not in spam, or promotions, or social and only showed as being in the inbox. Despite that the email was invisible which would explain why I did not see it as I have notifications turned on for new emails for my inbox. Has anyone else ever had this problem? And I do hope I am still accepted into the scholarship as I feel this was beyond my control.
  • Options
    BuzzSawBuzzSaw Member Posts: 259 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So if I am reading this right, then if you got the "final step" email, then you were accepted (In theory?)