Cisco's $10 Million in Scholarships for Cyber

Comments

• thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The "final step" email that I got says that they'll notify me in mid-November if I've been accepted.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • Mr.NetworkMr.Network Member Posts: 117
    Zinubis wrote: »
    So I took my assessment test and felt I had earned a passing score. I was advised that I would receive an email by the end of October. I checked each day and heard nothing back so I figured there was just a delay. Today I performed a manual look up of Cisco in my gmail and discovered the email was sent to me on the 25th. It essentially said that I passed the assesment and to click a link before October 31st to finish the final part of this process. Essentially the email showed up in my inbox folder according to the search but when checking the inbox folder the email was not showing. I did have other emails from the learning@cisco address but not for that specific date and not for that specific email. The email was not in spam, or promotions, or social and only showed as being in the inbox. Despite that the email was invisible which would explain why I did not see it as I have notifications turned on for new emails for my inbox. Has anyone else ever had this problem? And I do hope I am still accepted into the scholarship as I feel this was beyond my control.

I experienced exactly the same thing, I checked my gmail inbox twice a day. On 30 of October i searched for learning@cisco and the email popped up. So I was lucky i think.
    CCNA R&S, MCSA.
  • RitualRitual Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got a Final Step email in my inbox today.

Says the date I had to accept was 10/31, but it's 11/8 already.

IN the metadata it says it was mailed on 10/25......................................

What in the hell is going on. I filled out the form anyways. Which was basically asking me the same information I have submitted five times already.
    2016 goals - eJPT, MCSA Windows 10, something Linux
  • CIOCIO Member Posts: 151
    Congrats

Nothing new for me.
  • andyt390andyt390 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I feel the arbitary please respond by date of the 31st was stupid.
    I was out of the country at the time without access to work emails so missed that deadline.

If that has a bearing on whether I am in or not; I can't help but feel hard done by, considering how inconsistent they have been with notifiying us with when they will send emails.

Grr Cisco.
    andyt390 wrote: »
    I feel the arbitary please respond by date of the 31st was stupid.
    I was out of the country at the time without access to work emails so missed that deadline.

If that has a bearing on whether I am in or not; I can't help but feel hard done by, considering how inconsistent they have been with notifiying us with when they will send emails.

Grr Cisco.

Yeah Cisco tells us the whole thing was going to kick off months ago, and then they slip us an email "please respond in the next 5 days or this message will self destruct".

At the same time asking us to dedicate 90 days and 200+ hours of our free time.

There is something wrong with that.

A lack of common courtesy.

I'm sure the courses will be good, and I hope they translate into success for people; but this is getting ridiculous.
  • techsecuritytechsecurity Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So it seems that today or tomorrow we'll have an answer. Any news so far?
    So it seems that today or tomorrow we'll have an answer. Any news so far?

We'll see. I'm expecting at least a week late, and an email formatted in a way that goes straight to my spam folder with a time sensitive message.
  • CIOCIO Member Posts: 151
    Nothing new for me. At this point, im thinking about moving on to something. I have been putting other stuff on hold with the anticipation of this program for the last two months now.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    No news (email) yet. I bet it will be December 1st when they send emails out.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am giving them until the end of November. If there hasn't been an official green light with a start date then I will move back to what I was working on prior to this (eCPPT) - which really doesn't bother me. I don't have a financial obligation to wait on the course, seeing as it is going to be free I am not worrying too much about it. The reality is this course would be just for fun since it is going to be some time before people start to recognize the certificate.
  • sheikysheiky Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So, tomorrow is mid of nov as cisco promised we all should be getting the selection emails. Good Luck to All.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    CIO wrote: »
    Nothing new for me. At this point, im thinking about moving on to something. I have been putting other stuff on hold with the anticipation of this program for the last two months now.
    Mooseboost wrote: »
    I am giving them until the end of November. If there hasn't been an official green light with a start date then I will move back to what I was working on prior to this (eCPPT) - which really doesn't bother me. I don't have a financial obligation to wait on the course, seeing as it is going to be free I am not worrying too much about it. The reality is this course would be just for fun since it is going to be some time before people start to recognize the certificate.

Same situation here. I had started studying to attempt to challenge the GPEN in January and had paused as I wanted to do this and had originally thought maybe we would be starting in November but that's definitely not the case so I may go back to what I was working on.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • whoknewwhoknew Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nothing to report here, but if November 2016 has shown us anything (Cubs win World Series 1st time since 1908, Trump gets elected in greatest upset since the 1948 "Dewey defeats Truman" fiasco) could it be that Cisco will be on time with these selections???

Or am I grasping at straws here???
    "I got a BAD feeling about this..."

What's Next: CISM, CompTIA CySA+ & PenTest+, OSCP, CCNP Security, GSEC, GPEN
  • ekoplexekoplex Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I cant put things off for much longer, especially if you don't even know if you have been accepted.
  • ReinstallReinstall Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    No one should really be putting things off, still study what you want. The first part of the cert is basic security and that will be useful in any field.

Cisco shows what to study STUDY ME.
  • thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From https://mkto.cisco.com/Security-Scholarship

Thank you very much for your interest in the Cisco Global Cybersecurity Scholarship program. We have received an overwhelming number of applicants and have now filled all spots for the start of the program. We will reopen registration again in Spring 2017. Please bookmark this website and check back to apply.

So I guess anyone who got the scholarship would've heard by now? Or (wishful thinking) perhaps they've allocated all the slots and are slowly reaching out to everyone. Looking at my inbox, the "mid-august" email they referred to in July came to me September 9 so they might just be lagging again.

Regardless, we can reapply later haha.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • tphan3tphan3 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nope, I'm still waiting for the mid Nov email to come. I am so excited that I check my inbox first thing in the morning lol. I notice that they usually send out emails around 12:00am PST
    No email yet on my side.
  • techsecuritytechsecurity Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ekoplex wrote: »
    No email yet on my side.[/]

Same here. Probably we need to wait a few days more.
    From a Cisco Community Manager posted yesterday on the learning network.
    From the communications I'm seeing, I would expect follow up emails for those accepted into this round to start rolling out around the end of these week/beginning of next week. Getting close, and also please note that the 210-250 SECFND Exam is now available for booking with Pearson.
    ekoplex wrote: »
    From a Cisco Community Manager posted yesterday on the learning network.

So what you're saying is that Cisco missed yet another deadline.
  • CertifiedMonkeyCertifiedMonkey Member Posts: 172 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Have you guys taken a look at the objectives for the first test? Most of it is define, describe, or compare. Not a lot of configure, verify, or troubleshoot.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't believe these exams are very Cisco hardware focused like all the other exams and would be surprised if there is much, if any, configuring or troubleshooting on these exams.
  • Abdullah.AAAbdullah.AA Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    People, The exam Objectives for the first of two exams (210-250) towards CCNA Cyber Ops has been updated:
    PDF file with details
    https://learningcontent.cisco.com/cln_storage/text/cln/marketing/exam-topics/210-250-secfnd.pdf

Looks like a mix of GIAC GSEC and a touch of GCIA, I could be wrong though.
  • HafssolHafssol Member Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got accepted! Woohoo! :)
    Certs: CCNA Cyber Ops, CCNA Routing and Switching, CFR, Sec+, Net+
  • ReinstallReinstall Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I got accepted today at 4:04pm central time.

Congratulations! You have been accepted into the Cisco Global Cybersecurity Scholarship. We’re glad you have decided to take part in this life-changing opportunity to become valued partners in protecting the Internet from hackers and other criminals. Your expected start date will be between November 30, 2016 and December 9, 2016.
    Now that you’ve been selected for the scholarship program, we would like to share some important information with you about the program and what you can expect in the upcoming weeks.
    • You will have 13 weeks to complete the program.
    • The first step in the scholarship program is to take Introduction to Cybersecurity course which will be available between November 30, 2016 and December 9, 2016.
    • As part of the Cybersecurity Scholarship program you will be required to take the following courses, in the following order:
      1. Introduction to Cybersecurity
      2. Understanding Cybersecurity Fundamentals (SECFND)
      3. Implementing Cybersecurity Operations (SECOPS)
      4. Two proctored exams (SECFND and SECOPS) within 13 weeks (Optional)
    We will be sending you everything you need to know on how to get started between November 30, 2016 and December 9, 2016. Cisco looks forward to working with you to help expand your career opportunities. Our certifications are recognized throughout the IT world for their quality and depth. Thanks again for your interest in becoming part of an elite team.
    If you have any questions, please contact us at www.cisco.com/go/certsupport.
    Congratulations on your acceptance in the Cisco Global Cybersecurity Scholarship Program.
    Kind regards,
    Learning@Cisco
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    congrats buddy. the hype is real
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hafssol wrote: »
    I got accepted! Woohoo! :)

Congrats man!