Cisco's $10 Million in Scholarships for Cyber

Comments

• techsecuritytechsecurity Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hafssol wrote: »
    I got accepted! Woohoo! :)

Congrats m8! I am still waiting. How long ago did you received the mail?
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I got accepted. This is the email.

Congratulations! You have been accepted into the Cisco Global Cybersecurity Scholarship. We’re glad you have decided to take part in this life-changing opportunity to become valued partners in protecting the Internet from hackers and other criminals. Your expected start date will be between November 30, 2016 and December 9, 2016.
    Now that you’ve been selected for the scholarship program, we would like to share some important information with you about the program and what you can expect in the upcoming weeks.
    • You will have 13 weeks to complete the program.
    • The first step in the scholarship program is to take Introduction to Cybersecurity course which will be available between November 30, 2016 and December 9, 2016.
    • As part of the Cybersecurity Scholarship program you will be required to take the following courses, in the following order:
      1. Introduction to Cybersecurity
      2. Understanding Cybersecurity Fundamentals (SECFND)
      3. Implementing Cybersecurity Operations (SECOPS)
      4. Two proctored exams (SECFND and SECOPS) within 13 weeks (Optional)
    We will be sending you everything you need to know on how to get started between November 30, 2016 and December 9, 2016. Cisco looks forward to working with you to help expand your career opportunities. Our certifications are recognized throughout the IT world for their quality and depth. Thanks again for your interest in becoming part of an elite team.
    If you have any questions, please contact us at www.cisco.com/go/certsupport.
    Congratulations on your acceptance in the Cisco Global Cybersecurity Scholarship Program.
    Kind regards,
    Learning@Cisco
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    I'm noticing the accepted have CCNA. I'm screwed lol
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • tphan3tphan3 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Now that you mention it, I feel sad icon_cry.gif. Congrats to those got accepted.
  • CertifiedMonkeyCertifiedMonkey Member Posts: 172 ■■□□□□□□□□
    TacoRocket wrote: »
      1. Two proctored exams (SECFND and SECOPS) within 13 weeks (Optional)

That's interesting that the exams are optional.
  • whoknewwhoknew Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Got the same acceptance e-mail as Reinstall & TacoRocket above. The e-mail arrived around 5:00 p.m. EST.
    They "allege" in the e-mail that the anticipated start date will be between November 30th & December 9th....2016.

Emperor Hadrian didn't have to wait this long to get his freakin wall built to keep out the Scots....and they had Roman baths along that freakin wall....feel like we're takin a bath here....
    "I got a BAD feeling about this..."

What's Next: CISM, CompTIA CySA+ & PenTest+, OSCP, CCNP Security, GSEC, GPEN
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389

It's not that you are screwed, but if what you speculate is true, then they are just wasting our time (non Cisco cert participants) to take their assessment exam, and they should have stated earlier that only Cisco Cert holders may apply. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats to everyone who got the email. Good luck to you. No email for me, maybe during the next round.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • ekoplexekoplex Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Didn't get it.icon_cry.gif
  • snowchick7669snowchick7669 Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Got accepted too :)
    Got accepted too :)

Do you have any Cisco certifications?
  • snowchick7669snowchick7669 Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ekoplex wrote: »
    Do you have any Cisco certifications?

Nope.

Although I did answer yes to 2/3 of the questions in the final assessment. Not sure if that helped my application.
  • securityorcsecurityorc Member Posts: 58 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yay, I also got accepted! :D I'm thinking that maybe the assessment score was also a factor in sorting the winners, because I didn't check any of the certification boxes (only have a Mile2 cert at the moment).

Congratz to everyone! icon_cheers.gif
  • JobeneJobene Member Posts: 63 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nothing on me =/
    It would be interesting to know what criteria they used for the final stage.
    Congrats to all. Anyone got the mail today (18/12)? Also until now I think that the number of people accepted is small, from what Ive seen in online communities.
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    Glad to hear that there are people who do not hold Cisco Cert are being selected too! Congrads to all who have been selected! :)
    From Matt, Cisco Community Manager.
    Yes, it is planned to send out follow up communications and support to applicants that were not selected to the first round of the program.
    Cheers.

Hopefully they have the decency to let us know at some stage. I assumed the people who received the October email were all likely to be accepted.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Wow, I got it. icon_silent.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would wager that there are still some acceptance emails that are going to go out. Basing this on both the previous community manager statement about emails going out late this week/early next week and off of their previous emails to the October candidates to take the final questionnaire. They seem to break this up into smaller waves.

I didn't get an acceptance email yet, so I am hoping that this is the case.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats to those accepted! Nothing yet here. Only checked one box on the last email. Scored a 97 on the assessment. If I don't get selected for the first round I'll just focus on my current studying and not worry about it.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    Wow, I got it. icon_silent.gif

congrats scareoftests,did you received today?I am assuming that they are sending them in waves.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Yesterday evening at 5:00pm
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yesterday evening at 5:00pm

Congrats. I am disappointed for me, but proud for the TE members that got in. Please let us know how you do. I've got to get back to the woodshed on my GPEN now.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ertaz wrote: »
    I am disappointed for me, but proud for the TE members that got in.

Same here... Screw Cisco! I didn't want to do it anyways!! crash.gif
    It looks like they pulled names out a hat so to speak, I don't see any common factor with those accepted.
    Congrats to everyone who got it.
  • thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Didn't get an email yet icon_sad.gif

Glad to see at least some people on TE got it. In a way, it's closure. Not that big a deal anyway, my work would pay for this cert since I'm a junior SOC analyst.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    I didn't want to take this class anyways, hold on, I got something in my eye...
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • tphan3tphan3 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ekoplex wrote: »
    It looks like they pulled names out a hat so to speak, I don't see any common factor with those accepted.
    Congrats to everyone who got it.
    Hope they are not pulling just a random 10,000 names out of those who received the email at the end of October or passed the assessment. I really want this since I am still in school, and I am cheap lol
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tphan3 wrote: »
    Hope they are not pulling just a random 10,000 names out of those who received the email at the end of October or passed the assessment.

If they are not doing it randomly, I would venture to guess they are putting people in groups based on what checkboxes they checked in the last survey and then comparing the people within groups by their score to see who gets accepted. While evenly accepting the number of people from each of those different groups from survey so that they have a good distribution of the type of people who are getting accepted.

But I just made all that up and who the he77 knows! icon_thumright.gif