Options

Cisco's $10 Million in Scholarships for Cyber

Comments

• Options
    dizzy_kittydizzy_kitty Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ertaz wrote: »
    Crickets here.

Yeaa.... in one email I received, it mentioned hearing back during mid-August but on the application page it says by the beginning of August. I know that's not a huge difference but it sure does feel like it when you're waiting ;) !
  • Options
    superbeastsuperbeast Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wonder if there was a cut off time to apply if the program is supposed to start this month. I'll be kicking myself for not seeing this sooner if I miss a deadline or sorts, although I didn't see any mention of one on their site
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I received a couple of emails already from Cisco. The first one thanked me for signing up. The second said that they would be reaching out in mid-August in order to test those selected for basic knowledge. Once that is done, they will contact those who have received the scholarship and provide them with next steps.

In the second email, they provide a link to several TEDTalks. I was not expecting to have to read subtitles...imagine my confusion when the speaker started speaking in French! Really focused my attention on what he was saying (through the use of the subtitles...my French is limited to one insult...thank you French-Canadian neighbors).
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    stryder144 wrote: »
    I received a couple of emails already from Cisco. The first one thanked me for signing up. The second said that they would be reaching out in mid-August in order to test those selected for basic knowledge. Once that is done, they will contact those who have received the scholarship and provide them with next steps.

In the second email, they provide a link to several TEDTalks. I was not expecting to have to read subtitles...imagine my confusion when the speaker started speaking in French! Really focused my attention on what he was saying (through the use of the subtitles...my French is limited to one insult...thank you French-Canadian neighbors).

I only know three words in french: Haugh, Haugh, Haugh.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Crickets here.

even more crickets here.....

would be sad if NO ONE from TE got in.....SAD! However the website does say they are looking for people with government security background.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    dizzy_kittydizzy_kitty Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    chrisone wrote: »
    even more crickets here.....

would be sad if NO ONE from TE got in.....SAD! However the website does say they are looking for people with government security background.

They'd have to actually reach out to us to fill out the assessment to know that! ;) Hopefully by next Friday someone here hears back.
  • Options
    Probably going to try the CCENT on Wednesday, that way I'll be ready if I'm picked. If I'm not, the I'll just finish out the CCNA security.
  • Options
    9bits9bits Member Posts: 138 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Probably going to try the CCENT on Wednesday, that way I'll be ready if I'm picked. If I'm not, the I'll just finish out the CCNA security.

FYI, the CCENT isn't a prereq. They only wanted you to have at least one of the qualifications on their list, and your Security+ is one.
  • Options
    Mr.NetworkMr.Network Member Posts: 117
    I applied yesterday, hope it is not too late. I haven't received email yet, did you guys receive email as soon as you applied?
    CCNA R&S, MCSA.
  • Options
    Mr.Network wrote: »
    I applied yesterday, hope it is not too late. I haven't received email yet, did you guys receive email as soon as you applied?

Its been a while, but I seem to recall that I did. Yesterday was a weekend though, so they may be manually going through them on Monday.
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I haven't heard anything additional back yet, but I am still holding hope.
  • Options
    Mooseboost wrote: »
    I haven't heard anything additional back yet, but I am still holding hope.

Maybe by the end of the month?
  • Options
    esr0159esr0159 Member Posts: 80 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Same here still haven't heard back from them. Been checking my email lately, last update was about the ted talk links.
    CCNP R&S | Planning to hit IE R&S or JNCIA or Security path|
  • Options
    BuzzSawBuzzSaw Member Posts: 259 ■■■□□□□□□□
    FWIW:

I signed up on day one that they started accepting applications. Aside from the aforementioned emails, I haven't heard anything.

Will let you guys know if I do. This might tell us if they are processing on a FIFO method.
  • Options
    Received email today from Cisco but it was the same e-mail containing the TED talks links. Not much of an update but it's something. My guess is probably due to the overwhelming response to this, timelines are loose and the expected start time of August isn't that accurate.
  • Options
    hinsdahl00hinsdahl00 Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is my timeline for emails, I'm interested to see how this all shakes out!

Initial submission: 05AUG16
    First response: 11AUG16 (thank you for your interest)
    Second response: 18AUG16 (TED talk email)
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wait... everyone else didn't get accepted in already???
  • Options
    Wait... everyone else didn't get accepted in already???

LOL - nice panic attempt
  • Options
    BuzzSaw wrote: »
    LOL - nice panic attempt

um, seriously I've been watching the course since Tuesday. My voucher codes for the test showed up this morning.
  • Options
    still nothing on my end.....more crickets.....
    c39c81ca8486fd5a4d79abfee356266307e8ead6033d22bbd179485c032587f0.jpg
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
  • Options
    um, seriously I've been watching the course since Tuesday. My voucher codes for the test showed up this morning.

icon_lol.gif Nice
  • Options
    I'm sure Cisco wouldn't just give out the voucher codes without some sort of proof you completed your 90 hours. Otherwise that would be a poor ROI if they didn't get some sort of confirmation from the assigned mentors that you are ready to take the exam. Footing the bill for the resources/materials and then nothing to show for it wouldn't be too smart on Cisco's end.
  • Options
    superbeast wrote: »
    I'm sure Cisco wouldn't just give out the voucher codes without some sort of proof you completed your 90 hours. Otherwise that would be a poor ROI if they didn't get some sort of confirmation from the assigned mentors that you are ready to take the exam. Footing the bill for the resources/materials and then nothing to show for it wouldn't be too smart on Cisco's end.

I think he was kiddingicon_cool.gif
  • Options
    I knew I should've started my morning with some coffeeicon_redface.gif
  • Options
    I think CISCO is too busy firing people to pay attention to the program
  • Options
    BuzzSaw wrote: »
    I think CISCO is too busy firing people to pay attention to the program

may be that is how they are paying for the program?
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    8/14/16 - "Low quarter sales leaves CISCO scratching their heads on how they are going to pay for the $10 million dollar scholarship program."

8/15/16 - "CISCO announces massive layoff"
  • Options
    CertifiedMonkeyCertifiedMonkey Member Posts: 172 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Got an email from Cisco, but it was for a discount on their Cloud Elearning material! Every time I get an email from Cisco I get so excited that it's for the cyber ops scholarship. *Sigh*
  • Options
    Abdullah.AAAbdullah.AA Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    august 20th, still waiting, also me and few other guys here in this thread:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-security/121759-ccna-cyber-ops.html
  • Options
    adikeshavadikeshav Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    8/14/16 - "Low quarter sales leaves CISCO scratching their heads on how they are going to pay for the $10 million dollar scholarship program."

8/15/16 - "CISCO announces massive layoff"

Exactly!!

:):D
    I had a dream i was king .Woke up , Still kind:cheers: