Cisco's $10 Million in Scholarships for Cyber

Comments

• bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks ekoplex !!!

I guess I will wait. I am working on other certs, so I will remain busy.
  • TechGuy626TechGuy626 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I suppose the biggest issue with the whole opportunity is in how its being conducted. The whole process has been drawn out further than it needs to be. I see it to be a "HUGE" marketing ploy. When you say "10 Million" and "Cyber security" (which is pretty huge in the IT field) it turns a lot of heads. Cisco knew that a large number of people would apply for this and know that people are still waiting for the email and as it gets closer to the date for a final approval or denial, they send the cyber Monday email on certification discounts through [EMAIL="learning@cisco"]learning@cisco[/EMAIL], which sends the scholarship emails. Without registering for the scholarship they would not have had my email. I feel personally it was a ploy to drive up interest and sales while giving training to a few people. Not really a scholarship more of an investment. If this is how cisco spikes interest I'm beyond disappointed with them at this point, they wasted a lot of our time with the drawn out process. Those that did not qualify could have had emails by now I have not heard of any new people receiving the acceptance since 5:00 last week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ekoplex nothing is contradicted i dont think people are understanding what i said

Today is the last day to get the email that you qualify and got it. If you dont get an accept email today then tomorrow the 23rd you will get an email saying u didnt qualify hope that makes sense
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm probably going to get electrocuted when I replace this light fixture tonight, so I won't have to worry about some free test vouchers. That'll show this cruel world...
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    No problem. I didn't hear anything about it so I thought I would call them and ask. If I get the scholarship great if not then no worries. Best of luck with the GPEN JoJoCal19! Just curious but are you attending a bootcamp for it through SANS or are you self study? I'm currently doing OSCP and hopefully after OSCP jump into GPEN. Just curious about what books you plan on using for GPEN! Best of luck coming up with $1,300 for the exam attempt ;) I'm broke as all get out so guess that will have to wait for me!

Thanks! I am challenging it. I'm actually planning on challenging a few of the certs using some of the threads from the SANS section, as well as a post on another forum by a user who used to frequent here (dynamik). I'm using Georgia Weidman's book, Hacker Playbook 2, Counter Hack Reloaded, RTFM, PTPv4 courseware, as well as Pentester Academy/SecurityTube. As recommended I'm using GIAC's site to get the exam objectives and studying everything there. I'll be doing the same with the GCIH too at some point. Should be easy after GPEN.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Well, it is now 23 November in Ciscoland. So if kMastaFlash is correct, any who have not been accepted will receive a rejection email in the next 24 hours.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • ekoplexekoplex Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    OctalDump wrote: »
    Well, it is now 23 November in Ciscoland. So if kMastaFlash is correct, any who have not been accepted will receive a rejection email in the next 24 hours.

A mod did say yesterday that they would still be sending out acceptances on the 23rd, but judging from how they have handled this, I'd be surprised if people even get their rejection emails today.
  • SmilymarcoSmilymarco Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Still waiting... there is hope :D As long as the rejection is not in my inbox.
    So far nobody that i know personally has been accepted (male and female, different ages, all located in Germany, various experience and certs, scores between 21 and 29 points).

Weird...
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Smilymarco wrote: »
    Still waiting... there is hope :D As long as the rejection is not in my inbox.
    So far nobody that i know personally has been accepted (male and female, different ages, all located in Germany, various experience and certs, scores between 21 and 29 points).

Weird...

Maybe they are just selecting 100 people and spending 100,000 on each of them.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
    :D that would be awesome for the people that get accepted.

I hope its more like 10k people with 1k spend on each... (for the exam vouchers).
  • adikeshavadikeshav Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    no emails and hence i will move on.. but frankly searching for learning@cisco mails was truly exciting for the past 4-5 months.

Maybe we'll get accepted in spring?
    I had a dream i was king .Woke up , Still kind:cheers:
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    Just curious, for those who didn't receive the acceptance email, what was your pre-assessment score?
  • 9bits9bits Member Posts: 138 ■■□□□□□□□□
    But why would you have to declare your are going for a specific cert to your company? Especially since they don't care what cert your even going for.

They're paying the $600 exam fee, so they care a little bit :) I'm planning on asking them to schedule it at the end of December, so once it's set, I gotta take it. I'll wait till the end of today, though, just to see if there's any last minute email from Cisco. If not, I'll schedule my exam.
    chopsticks wrote: »
    Just curious, for those who didn't receive the acceptance email, what was your pre-assessment score?

28/30... still waiting for a sign :D
    Smilymarco wrote: »
    28/30... still waiting for a sign :D

You scored a very good grade! icon_thumright.gif
    Maybe that is the problem... on page 21 in this thread people with 19 and 25.5 points got accepted...
    Hopefully more can share their assessment score and maybe we can derive a rough gauge.
  • 8thdegreepwnologist8thdegreepwnologist Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Zero Linux XP - I scored a 21.50/71.67

To make sure that doesnt happen again, I've Installed Linux Mint 18 on my PC & I'm reading How Linux Works, what every superuser should know by Brian Ward. Thank you Cisco!icon_thumright.gif

Not accepted here, scored a 27/30.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • liz4rdliz4rd Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    JoJoCal19 - Did you get a rejection email. Or is this based on the lack of acceptance email?
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Still no rejection mail! LOL based on that I'm in :D
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • RepliconReplicon Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    28/30 nothing yet
  • ekoplexekoplex Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Here's a response someone received on the learning network from Cisco.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,013 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ekoplex wrote: »
    Here's a response someone received on the learning network from Cisco.

funny how they spelled security...lol
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Awful timing. If I get accepted/denied the message will get lost in the massive influx of Black Friday sales I'm keeping my eyes on.
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Awful timing. If I get accepted/denied the message will get lost in the massive influx of Black Friday sales I'm keeping my eyes on.

This is my fear as well. Still holding out hope for the dual 1920x1200 24" monitors I ordered yesterday morning too.
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Not accepted here, scored a 27/30.
    Replicon wrote: »
    28/30 nothing yet

Your grades are also very good! icon_thumright.gif
  • alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□

27.5/30
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
    alias454 wrote: »
    27.5/30

Good grade! icon_thumright.gif
    liz4rd wrote: »
    JoJoCal19 - Did you get a rejection email. Or is this based on the lack of acceptance email?

Based on the lack of acceptance email.