Cisco's $10 Million in Scholarships for Cyber

Comments

• Abdullah.AAAbdullah.AA Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    qouted from a thread in the cyber security study group on cisco learning network:
    Dear George

Thank you for responding.

Our sincerest apology, there was a change in timeline due to the number of applicants that we need to accommodate. You will be receiving the result of your scholarship application from November 29-30, days after another set of emails will be sent out.

Regards,
    Liza
    Cisco Certification and Communities Support

there is hope, also based on what was said in the FAQs file on the scholarship page:
    https://mkto.cisco.com/rs/564-WHV-323/images/Global-Scholarship-FAQs-161013.pdf

they're hoping to take around 10,000 people in this scholarship over the period of 2 years. I'm thinking they've only sifted through enough to send acceptance to first batch of people, maybe those first group will start the training soon, and then after 90 days when they're done, they'll be another batch and so on.

I agree with others here, there is no point obsessing over this, you either get it or not, its not the end of the world.
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    my frail body can't take this emotional Rollercoaster anymore...
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • 9bits9bits Member Posts: 138 ■■□□□□□□□□
    my frail body can't take this emotional Rollercoaster anymore...

lol..........
  • abnmiabnmi Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I concur with the no obsessing over it. That said I believe it is in poor taste and business practice especially for a customer driven organization.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Calm down this is just the first delay the have announced... oh wait... icon_smile.gif
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have gone ahead and set fire to our datacenter's cisco equipment. That will show them to not accept me!!
  • Abdullah.AAAbdullah.AA Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    confirmed by a Mod on cisco's cyber study group:
    Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for your patience and really sorry for the delay.

We have just received an update and have been informed that due to the large number of applicants, there’s been a slight delay in sending out the new scholarship email update to ensure a thorough selection. For the individuals who completed their Final Step Qualification form, the accepted or denied emails are now expected to be sent out early to mid-next week (by November 30th).

We completely understand that the wait can be very exciting yet difficult at the same time but we truly appreciate your continued patience while the list of scholarship recipients is finalized.

While you wait, we do recommend reviewing the CCNA Cyber Ops exam topics and study material resources already available on the Cisco Learning Network: Cyber Ops (CCNA)

We wish you ALL the best of luck!

Thank you,
    Rigo
    Cisco Learning Network Moderator
    https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/message/590111#590111
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    Has no one asked them about the selection criteria?
  • RepliconReplicon Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ^^ Cisco is trolling with us... what a joke... amateurs
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    confirmed by a Mod on cisco's cyber study group:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/message/590111#590111

LOL. So, if the program starts December 1st (to be fair they said anywhere between the 1st and 9th) they are rolling out the acceptance emails the day before.

My question is though, did the number of applicants somehow increase between the Final Step email and now? Surely when they gave the previous deadline for emails being sent out they knew how many applicants had applied.
  • alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Maybe the real secret is not enough people applied.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • QueueQueue Member Posts: 174 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This feels like when you're waiting to hear back from an interview. You have so much anxiety, but then after not hearing something or being told its "on track" you just get the whatever attitude.
  • cisco4lifecisco4life Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Maybe this will be like the (ISC)2 fiasco several years ago where they told a group of people that they passed the CISSP exam but then weeks later, had to tell many of them that they actually failed due to an error in their grading system. Maybe the first batch of recipients will get an email next week that they were actually rejected and the rest of us will be in. LMAO....but seriously I'm still holding on to hope that I get the acceptance email next week (or early/mid/late Dec at the rate it's going!)

Keep the faith!
  • ekoplexekoplex Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    They are just screwing everyone around now, Unprofessional.
  • FullofBitFullofBit Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    While you guys/girls are waiting, take a look at the follow up course to Intro to Cybersecurity.

Cisco NetAcad Cybersecurity Essentials: https://www.netacad.com/courses/cybersecurity-ess/cc82a9b8-8c35-45d4-acc7-9fdc2999d6c2?t=1476984722331
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    anyone get an email today? I got hyped up and when I saw Cisco, but it was just a stupid Cyber Monday email
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • 9bits9bits Member Posts: 138 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nah, nothing. I think they generally email late afternoon anyways.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,013 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    anyone get an email today? I got hyped up and when I saw Cisco, but it was just a stupid Cyber Monday email

Yes, I did too...I was like wtf...hehehe
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    shochan wrote: »
    Yes, I did too...I was like wtf...hehehe

Their T-r-o-l-l game is so strong...
  • CIOCIO Member Posts: 151
    Seriously...Glad I wasn't the only one that got excited
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    I sort of back to my usual study stuff and not expecting any email from them anymore. Like that is kinda good. :)
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes, this is pretty unprofessional in my opinion.

They can send black Friday and Cyber Monday emails from the learn@Cisco email, but they can't update anyone who applied for this certification, on their acceptance status, or the next step.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • tphan3tphan3 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes, this is pretty unprofessional in my opinion.

They can send black Friday and Cyber Monday emails from the learn@Cisco email, but they can't update anyone who applied for this certification, on their acceptance status, or the next step.

They did...through the community managers that not everyone knows about lol. They did not even send out emails saying there would be some kinds of delay to those whom were not accepted
  • rob1234rob1234 Banned Posts: 151
    I would ask for your money back..oh wait.
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    rob1234 wrote: »

LOL. Point made. That aside, where's my free stuff? ;)
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Well, it's the 29th... so... I expect emails are coming, no?
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Well, given Cisco's timeline for this fiasco if it's the 29th and they promised the 30th, I say expect email on December 9th saying it will take a couple more weeks to send another email announcing delays.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    rob1234 wrote: »

I've asked for my time back, still waiting to hear back from them though... I'm sure they are just figuring out the best way to transfer it back over to me. icon_confused.gif
  • superbeastsuperbeast Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've asked for my time back, still waiting to hear back from them though... I'm sure they are just figuring out the best way to transfer it back over to me. icon_confused.gif

They should have an easy frame of reference if they just IMDB that movie Justin Timberlake was in. I believe it was called, In Time icon_lol.gif
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm amazed at how little has happened over the course of 26 pages. I've been largely ignoring this thread, but with 26 pages I figured the training must have started and I wanted to see what the fuss was all about. I guess I'll have to wait until the page count gets to 50 pages...lol.