Cisco's $10 Million in Scholarships for Cyber

Comments

• SuperLT09SuperLT09 Member Posts: 31 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Received my acceptance letter on Friday. I will start March 2017 (second cohort).
    2018 Goals: CISSP (JUNE), MSCA Server 2016 (SEPTEMBER), CISM (DECEMBER), Need to learn Linux and Python

2019 Goals: OSCP, Transferring to the Army Cyber Branch
  • whoknewwhoknew Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    devilbones wrote: »
    I got my email for the second wave too.

Did anyone get in the first cohort?[/FONT][/COLOR]

I was accepted in the 1st round which is scheduled to begin sometime between November 30th & December 9th. I received that acceptance e-mail from Cisco on November 17th at 5:00 p.m. EST.
    "I got a BAD feeling about this..."

What's Next: CISM, CompTIA CySA+ & PenTest+, OSCP, CCNP Security, GSEC, GPEN
  • BuzzSawBuzzSaw Member Posts: 259 ■■■□□□□□□□
    chopsticks wrote: »
    I believe it's really on first come first serve basis. I came to know about it later than most people here, so I guess I won't be hearing anything soon. So I'll be back to my usual study for now.

I'm not sure about that. I signed up the day that registration opened and I haven't gotten anything. Not that I care all that much, I'm just saying :)
  • SmilymarcoSmilymarco Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Def. not first come, first serve. I registered before my friend, she got accepted, i'm still waiting...
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Smilymarco wrote: »
    Def. not first come, first serve. I registered before my friend, she got accepted, i'm still waiting...

Oh well, 4 more days.
    ....and the green flag is up....the 1st cohort is off & running!!!

Received this e-mail from Cisco just after 1:00 p.m. EST. Now let's have some fun despite that nagging feeling that we're Cisco's guinea pigs.

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    whoknew wrote: »
    ....and the green flag is up....the 1st cohort is off & running!!!

Received this e-mail from Cisco just after 1:00 p.m. EST. Now let's have some fun despite that nagging feeling that we're Cisco's guinea pigs.

That is what I am waiting for. Between November 30 and December 9th...icon_confused.gif:
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
    All of the applicants who completed the final step qualficiation form will receive a notification to inform him or her of their status (accepted or not accepted) in the program. If you haven't received an email notification yet, please continue to be on the lookout over the next several days.

Cheers,
    Rigo
    Cisco Learning Network Moderator
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Bravo! Seems like they finally learned to stop promising dates they can't abide to.
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm glad there will be a notification even if you weren't accepted. It'll save on the anxiety. "Did I make it? Should I wait more? Oh boy.".
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just curious, has anyone got accepted who was not a woman or not a veteran? Seems those have been given priority

I'm definitely fine with either of those groups getting chosen over me and even think they should be given priority over me too btw. icon_thumright.gif
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Regardless of how it goes, I'd love to hear people's stories about the curriculum and if it'd be worth it and what it equates to with other certs.
  • alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ertaz wrote: »
    All of the applicants who completed the final step qualficiation form will receive a notification to inform him or her of their status (accepted or not accepted) in the program. If you haven't received an email notification yet, please continue to be on the lookout over the next several days.

Cheers,
    Rigo
    Cisco Learning Network Moderator

I have not gotten the rejection email nor have I received an acceptance email. Maybe they are looking for alternates in-case a few folks drop out?
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
    alias454 wrote: »
    I have not gotten the rejection email nor have I received an acceptance email. Maybe they are looking for alternates in-case a few folks drop out?

I think they are categorizing folks still. I would not be surprised if they moved the date again. What's frustrating is that a lot of people have already been declined. So if we all make it to the end and get declined does that mean we were the best of the worst? #2ndPlace=1stLoser
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would love to see even a decline email. Haven't seen anything in long time!
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I, too, am interested to see what the curriculum is like as well as the experiences of those who are in the first cohort. I am a bit disappointed in the fact that the official Cisco books won't come out until April and May...assuming the timeline doesn't shift right. Naturally, I had hoped to purchase the books and get a bit of a head start before my cohort started but since I am in the second cohort that will start in March, well, that won't quite work!

As a veteran, I am humbled and truly grateful that Cisco would give any preference to us. When I joined the military Iraq hadn't overran Kuwait yet but they did decide to do so right before I entered Basic. When I joined most of the people I served with did so because of tradition (my grandfather was in WWII and my Dad in Vietnam) or to better their lives. I didn't know when I joined that I would spend twenty-two years serving our country, deploying here and there. Most of the time I was just grateful that my service put food on the table and a roof over my family's head. So anything else is just gravy to me and I will be forever honored. Looking forward to the experience!
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
    I think they are categorizing folks still. I would not be surprised if they moved the date again. What's frustrating is that a lot of people have already been declined. So if we all make it to the end and get declined does that mean we were the best of the worst? #2ndPlace=1stLoser

Don't think they're gonna move the dates. I received my training & Cisco Network Academy setup e-mails from Cisco this afternoon (12/05) & have already registered & started the course work. Looks like my "get it done by" date for the entire program is March 4th, 2017. I've seen other people on other forums who have also started the 1st cohort.

• Abdullah.AAAbdullah.AA Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□

what is your source?
    I have not heard or seen anyone getting rejection letters.
    what is your source?
    I have not heard or seen anyone getting rejection letters.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/groups/cyber-security-study-group

Digging through the threads there I see references to the "turn-down" email.
  • Abdullah.AAAbdullah.AA Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/groups/cyber-security-study-group

Digging through the threads there I see references to the "turn-down" email.

well, for your information, there hasnt been any rejection emails sent out, i've been following this very closely :)
  • ReinstallReinstall Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cisco e-mail asking me to verify my e-mail before the program begins "Dec 2016 - Mar 2017".

E-mail states, please respond by Dec 8th. So maybe start date of Dec 12th??
    Reinstall wrote: »
    Cisco e-mail asking me to verify my e-mail before the program begins "Dec 2016 - Mar 2017".

E-mail states, please respond by Dec 8th. So maybe start date of Dec 12th??

I received the same e-mail. It's about changing the e-mail address to which one's program account is associated. For example, I registered for the scholarship program using a different e-mail address than is associated with my original Cisco Networking Academy account. I suspect more than a few people have done this.

So if you're in the 1st cohort AND you wish to change the e-mail address to which your scholarship program is associated, you may do so. However, changing your program e-mail will move you to the 2nd cohort which begins in March 2017. I've already begun the program and don't really care which e-mail address is associated to it so I'm gonna just keep going. Others, for varying reasons, may want to begin the program with the 2nd cohort in March.

I got the same email this morning in regard to the verification of my email. Have yet to start the program (they have until December 9th for me..)
  • ReinstallReinstall Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just finished this module: Quite easy... I blasted through it in less than a day.

I took the quizzes and final assessment. You get 3 tries on the final assessment, my first attempt I got 84%, which I'm keeping unless I need a higher score.

Really I'm not even sure if it counts yet since the training hasn't official started yet.
    assessment = winning
    print(assessment)

winning
    >>>
    Hopefully I can start training tomorrow when they send me the link...
    Reinstall wrote: »
    I just finished this module: Quite easy... I blasted through it in less than a day.

I took the quizzes and final assessment. You get 3 tries on the final assessment, my first attempt I got 84%, which I'm keeping unless I need a higher score.

Really I'm not even sure if it counts yet since the training hasn't official started yet.
    assessment = winning
    print(assessment)

winning
    >>>
    I read that training now does not count if it isn't official...
  • bodokidbodokid Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "Author : Matt Saunders - Community Manager

In this case plans shifted slightly too. Originally the focus was to get the first 2,000 people headed down the path, and then it was brought up that instead of leaving 8,000 in limbo or "not-accepting them" at this time and making them go through the application process all over again, they would be notified of their acceptance now. This is what also delayed the non-accaptance notices. The state of limbo frustration is very understandable, but the hope is that this shift will be better for folks in the end... Thank you for your patience everyone, hope you're all headed in your desired direction very soon."
    Well, one more day in the books.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,013 ■■■■■■■■□□
    didn't hear a thing...cheers! time for some happy hours!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    bodokid wrote: »
    "Author : Matt Saunders - Community Manager

In this case plans shifted slightly too. Originally the focus was to get the first 2,000 people headed down the path, and then it was brought up that instead of leaving 8,000 in limbo or "not-accepting them" at this time and making them go through the application process all over again, they would be notified of their acceptance now. This is what also delayed the non-accaptance notices. The state of limbo frustration is very understandable, but the hope is that this shift will be better for folks in the end... Thank you for your patience everyone, hope you're all headed in your desired direction very soon."

Matt is a super good guy. I've chatted with him before and he's done a lot of good work on CLN. I've spoken to him about doing Firepower and ISE videos for Cisco Learning Networks free content. I think this program got an overwhelming response which is awesome but also delayed things and not by a little bit. I know one of the content creators for a portion of the coursework and he's one smart guy. I hope you guys like the program
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com