Cisco's $10 Million in Scholarships for Cyber

Comments

• ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Matt is a super good guy. I've chatted with him before and he's done a lot of good work on CLN. I've spoken to him about doing Firepower and ISE videos for Cisco Learning Networks free content. I think this program got an overwhelming response which is awesome but also delayed things and not by a little bit. I know one of the content creators for a portion of the coursework and he's one smart guy. I hope you guys like the program

Today is the day then?
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I have no idea if today is the day. Hopefully?
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • snowchick7669snowchick7669 Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Has anyone doing the scholarship program been able to access SECFND yet? It's still unavailable for me even though I've completed Course 1: Intro to Cybersecurity.
  • gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ertaz wrote: »
    Today is the day then?
    Yeah, I guess they're going to announce that due to overwhelimng demand they moved the date again and we will definitely hear from them before or on January 9th, hopefully 2017...
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    ^^ WINNER!

As much as I like Cisco and appreciate what they are doing I have zero reason to believe they will finally provide a meaningful update when promised. Maybe I'm wrong and the 7th, 8th or whatever number we are at time is the charm. We'll see.
  • snowchick7669snowchick7669 Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    gkca wrote: »
    Yeah, I guess they're going to announce that due to overwhelimng demand they moved the date again and we will definitely hear from them before or on January 9th, hopefully 2017...

FYI - I received my 'start' email today for the program.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I did too. icon_cheers.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I knew I should've just checked one those other boxes... icon_wink.gif Congratz and good luck you two.
    Well, That's that then. Congrats to those that made it.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    until the next wave in march...
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
    Just because you haven't received an email doesn't mean you aren't in yet. It's pretty hard for any email system to send out 10K+ emails at once. Keep your eye out
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Just because you haven't received an email doesn't mean you aren't in yet. It's pretty hard for any email system to send out 10K+ emails at once. Keep your eye out

Gotcha boss.

67797653.jpg
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    lol good friday chuckle
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Got the rejection:

We apologize for the delay. Thank you very much for your recent interest in the Cisco Global Cybersecurity Scholarship and for your application to the program. Cisco received an overwhelming response of over 50,000 candidates to the scholarship program. Having said that, the announcement date to our candidates was delayed so we could be thorough in our selection process.

Given this phenomenal outpouring of enthusiasm, we had to choose a limited number of scholarship recipients. Therefore, we are sorry to say that you were not selected into the program.

We hope that you have been sufficiently inspired to continue thinking seriously about cybersecurity as a career. The need is growing significantly, and it could make strong use of your developing talent, skills, and dedication.

Please explore Cisco’s many educational options on the Cisco Learning Network, Cybersecurity Information for your career-building needs.

If you have any questions please contact us at support@t2000inc.zendesk.com.

Regards,
    Learning@Cisco

• BosskBossk Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Something's not quite right here. I got an acceptance email for the March cohort last week. Today I get the rejection email. Cisco is making a bit of a mess of this whole thing.
    Same. Just got rejected. On to the next thing.
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    I think all emails received today are rejection emails (though I have not received any as yet). Luckily I have already decided not to wait anymore during the last round of anticipation. Good luck to all those who have been accepted!
  • bodokidbodokid Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My feeling is that this is a big fiasco! Why? Simple, you have 50000+ ppl that wanna take this scholarship, you give only 10000 and 40000+ are upset and angry and the mass majority feel like an injustice and consider they deserved the scholarship and blame Cisco because they managed so bad the whole process ! I feel that way icon_redface.gif
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    I think it's ok because Cisco is not the only way. Imagine we didn't have to worry about Cisco before they roll out this scholarship thing. Let's move on to our usual plans. :)
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Now people are going to be upset that they didn't get a rejection letter.
  • BuzzSawBuzzSaw Member Posts: 259 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think it's awesome that Cisco put this on. While some are not happy, I think it's cool they are investing in the community the way they are. So props to them

As for me, I didn't get rejected or accepted, and I'm okay with that.

Good luck and happy learning to those who made it!
    Now people are going to be upset that they didn't get a rejection letter.
    Oh they are going to get a reject letter. Just not this week.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□

Thank goodness. lol
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    See but that's my beef with Cisco: miscommunication. According to their board all communication, acceptance or rejection, was supposed to be done by today.
  • gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not this week, but before or on January 9th fo sho, eh? icon_thumright.gif
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    See but that's my beef with Cisco: miscommunication. According to their board all communication, acceptance or rejection, was supposed to be done by today.

Well, I might be corrected. One of my friends just got a rejection letter. *shrug* I know nothing. I just live here :P
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,013 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QCz9-ZV-HE

LOL!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just got my rejection. icon_cry.gif I was really looking forward to it. Oh well. I imagine it's because I don't have my n+ yet. I'm scheduled to take the test the end of December. So close, yet so far. If anyone drops out, give them my name. hehe
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So much like my love life....I was rejected. Oh well. Good luck to all those who were accepted!

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• CertifiedMonkeyCertifiedMonkey Member Posts: 172 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I still haven't received anything.... I don't even know what's going on anymore. Seems like everyone is receiving some type of communication from Cisco except me. lol.