Options

Cisco's $10 Million in Scholarships for Cyber

Comments

• Options
    xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    Just read your review on the blog Taco, good stuff, thank you for that. What is next for you after Cyber Ops?
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • Options
    nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow more fast than Flash!! hahaha

Very good job!!
    TacoRocket wrote: »
    I made the same score as you! 941/1000.

Took me about 23 minutes from start to finish.
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am doing the SEC511 class at SANS Dallas this week, hope to take the GMON in about a month. Plan on finishing the labs for SECOPS so I can take that exam, and take the ITIL because I've been slacking.

So everything pretty much. ha!
    Just read your review on the blog Taco, good stuff, thank you for that. What is next for you after Cyber Ops?
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    Thank you! Its neat they did this scholarship. One day my dream is for SANS to do something similar. I would cry.
    nisti2 wrote: »
    Wow more fast than Flash!! hahaha

Very good job!!
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TacoRocket - SANS has done something similar but more focused on veterans and women. Depending on the Academy applied for, they will pay for two or three courses and exams.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Question to the people already taking the course and tests.
    Is this like cisco network academy, pace yourself kind of thing?
    I'm set for June but I think I may be unavailable for a week or two in June...
    So I wonder if that will affect me.
    meh
  • Options
    Ill have to look into it! That sounds awesome!
    stryder144 wrote: »
    TacoRocket - SANS has done something similar but more focused on veterans and women. Depending on the Academy applied for, they will pay for two or three courses and exams.

• Options
    There is deadlines but you go at your own pace. You don't need to go to weekly meetings. You need to answer the questions on each page and section assessments. Then you have to attempt the labs. Once you do this, you have to call Cisco support. They will issue the voucher.
    kurosaki00 wrote: »
    Question to the people already taking the course and tests.
    Is this like cisco network academy, pace yourself kind of thing?
    I'm set for June but I think I may be unavailable for a week or two in June...
    So I wonder if that will affect me.

• Options
    ITBotITBot Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice to read about so many people passing! Great job everyone! My start date isn't until July 2018 so plenty of time to brush up on my Linux.
  • Options
    You will probably barely need it. Good to learn though.
    noahp34 wrote: »
    Nice to read about so many people passing! Great job everyone! My start date isn't until July 2018 so plenty of time to brush up on my Linux.

• Options
    devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Has anyone from the March cohort been contacted yet? I was hoping to have my login information already.
  • Options
    devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    devilbones wrote: »
    Has anyone from the March cohort been contacted yet? I was hoping to have my login information already.
    Just found my answer:
    CISCO wrote:
    We will inform you should there be a shift in your start date. In addition, we will be in contact with you one week prior to your start date to provide you with an information packet about getting started.
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    March Cohort, I was contacted today with an email stating it's still on for the 15th, next email will be on the 14th with the welcome letter, class access on the 15th.
  • Options
    GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just got my email today with a start date of March 15!
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I, too, received that email. Can't wait to start. Just fourteen days to go.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    cmztechcmztech Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm slotted for the March 15th start, also. I got my email today letting me know (2 weeks notice) that it begins March 15th. ^.^

I just started a new term at WGU, also, today. Now I have four WGU classes and the Cisco Cyber cert to tackle all at once. Anyone have a limitless pill to spare?

In all seriousness, I am reading through the CCNA Security book right now. Any idea how related comparable this material in the CCNA Sec is to the CCNA Cyber cert?
  • Options
    cmztech wrote: »
    In all seriousness, I am reading through the CCNA Security book right now. Any idea how related comparable this material in the CCNA Sec is to the CCNA Cyber cert?

More info:
    ccna-security-vs-ccna-cyber-ops
    meh
  • Options
    whoknewwhoknew Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    NOTICE FOR 2nd/3rd COHORT STUDENTS:

During our weekly Cyber Ops webex this past Thursday with our mentors, they mentioned that MANY people who were admitted to the 1st cohort never even bothered to register or log into the training web portal. As a result, Cisco will be cracking down on the 2nd & 3rd cohorts. So, hypothetically, if one does not register, log in & start completing exercises within 2 weeks after the cohort begins, that individual's spot will be given to another student from the next cohort.

So for 2nd cohort students, stay on top of your e-mail & register/start completing sections ASAP. For 3rd cohort students, stay alert for Cisco e-mails. You MAY be bumped into the 2nd cohort before the end of March. And, of course, good luck to all who are about to start that 2nd cohort. My advice, a la Nike:

JUST DO IT!!!
    "I got a BAD feeling about this..."

What's Next: CISM, CompTIA CySA+ & PenTest+, OSCP, CCNP Security, GSEC, GPEN
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I attended the WebEx Thursday night too. I was surprised when they mentioned some students never bothered to register or log into the training web portal.
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    whoknewwhoknew Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    coffeeluvr wrote: »
    I attended the WebEx Thursday night too. I was surprised when they mentioned some students never bothered to register or log into the training web portal.

Nearly fell outta my chair. Do you have a 210-255 exam D-Day scheduled yet? I'm thinking April 7th or 8th.
    "I got a BAD feeling about this..."

What's Next: CISM, CompTIA CySA+ & PenTest+, OSCP, CCNP Security, GSEC, GPEN
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    whoknew wrote: »

During our weekly Cyber Ops webex this past Thursday with our mentors, they mentioned that MANY people who were admitted to the 1st cohort never even bothered to register or log into the training web portal. As a result, Cisco will be cracking down on the 2nd & 3rd cohorts. So, hypothetically, if one does not register, log in & start completing exercises within 2 weeks after the cohort begins, that individual's spot will be given to another student from the next cohort.

So for 2nd cohort students, stay on top of your e-mail & register/start completing sections ASAP. For 3rd cohort students, stay alert for Cisco e-mails. You MAY be bumped into the 2nd cohort before the end of March. And, of course, good luck to all who are about to start that 2nd cohort. My advice, a la Nike:

JUST DO IT!!!

Hopefully this will bump me up from the 2018 cohort at some point.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Nearly fell outta my chair. Do you have a 210-255 exam D-Day scheduled yet? I'm thinking April 7th or 8th.

I am hoping for April 8th or 15th.
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    fredlwalfredlwal Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So has anyone in this form already started the classes? Also how are you breaking down your hours for study time and fun time with family?
  • Options
    Honestly studying isnt hard. They want you to answer the questions at the bottom of each page and initialize the labs for each section.

I was worried at first about outside material but once I did the course and took the exam, I can tell you that you will be ok.

• Options
    c5rookiec5rookie Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm in the March group. Get to overlap with my GCIA. This could be trouble....
  • Options
    jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just noticed my email saying I'm in the June (6/20) cohort. Nice!
  • Options
    sheikysheiky Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Same Boat. My approximate starting date is June 20 and the end date is September 20.
    jamthat wrote: »
    Just noticed my email saying I'm in the June (6/20) cohort. Nice!
  • Options
    Im up for June too. Would be nice if I could get into the April group.
    meh
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□

During our weekly Cyber Ops webex this past Thursday with our mentors, they mentioned that MANY people who were admitted to the 1st cohort never even bothered to register or log into the training web portal. As a result, Cisco will be cracking down on the 2nd & 3rd cohorts.

To be fair though the fault does lie with Cisco, at least partially. The communication breakdown that occurred getting everything together discouraged a fair amount of people who quit looking for the emails.
  • Options
    techsecuritytechsecurity Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am for June too. Probably there will be a few new spots for the March one.