Options

Cisco's $10 Million in Scholarships for Cyber

Comments

• Options
    gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am for June as well.
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So I wanted to report back to people. I failed the second exam. I don't believe it to be a skill issue but I didn't seem to understand what the SECOPS was getting at. The entire exam I was perplexed by most of it. I failed with a 792 when I needed an 825. Don't think I will be retaking because I don't like the study material and will probably wait for the actual books to come out. The study method I use for other exams is solid so I don't expect to be disappointed. They will probably allow a retake under the scholarship, I don't feel like I want to do it right now.

Good luck to those taking the SECOPS. I don't think it is difficult so don't take my words as doom. I really don't see where the exam is for some of us. I brought up these concerns at SECFND because they are not certifying for a technology but for a job. I will be putting my thought together and see what else I can think. Really think Cisco should have waited at the minimum for the Cisco Press books to be released. Happy Monday!
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    9bits9bits Member Posts: 138 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear on the fail. I'd be interested to know whether the scholarship program will allow any free retakes.

On another topic, I'm also curious if anyone up to this point has been offered an earlier spot than they first received.
  • Options
    GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TacoRocket wrote: »
    So I wanted to report back to people. I failed the second exam. I don't believe it to be a skill issue but I didn't seem to understand what the SECOPS was getting at. The entire exam I was perplexed by most of it. I failed with a 792 when I needed an 825. Don't think I will be retaking because I don't like the study material and will probably wait for the actual books to come out. The study method I use for other exams is solid so I don't expect to be disappointed. They will probably allow a retake under the scholarship, I don't feel like I want to do it right now.

Good luck to those taking the SECOPS. I don't think it is difficult so don't take my words as doom. I really don't see where the exam is for some of us. I brought up these concerns at SECFND because they are not certifying for a technology but for a job. I will be putting my thought together and see what else I can think. Really think Cisco should have waited at the minimum for the Cisco Press books to be released. Happy Monday!

Sorry to hear about the SECOPS test. Was the score out of 1000 or 900? I'm assuming 1000 because that would be 82% you need to score to pass.I guess that's why they are testing this out on us before they release it to everyone, to find out what is wrong with it. They may have to tweak the test if it's not clear what they are getting at.

I agree it would be nice to have the books to study. It looks like the release of the books is now pushed to April 24. Does anyone know if the books will be included in our scholarship? If not, I may just go ahead and preorder them.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sorry to hear about the failure. A lot of things centering on this certification have been handled rather poorly, so I am not surprised to read your description of the materials and test. Sounds like they have a lot of room for growth.

What I have read, on the Facebook page for the Cyber Ops certification, is that if you score between 800 and 824 you just need to contact the help desk and they will work on getting a second exam voucher. Since I haven't started the program, I cannot confirm that they will provide the second voucher or not. Might be worth contacting the help desk and finding out directly from them.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I might reach out to them. I'm more pressed for time at the moment and frustrated with the materials since it is not how I usually study. I don't get that "I'm prepared" feeling.
    stryder144 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about the failure. A lot of things centering on this certification have been handled rather poorly, so I am not surprised to read your description of the materials and test. Sounds like they have a lot of room for growth.

What I have read, on the Facebook page for the Cyber Ops certification, is that if you score between 800 and 824 you just need to contact the help desk and they will work on getting a second exam voucher. Since I haven't started the program, I cannot confirm that they will provide the second voucher or not. Might be worth contacting the help desk and finding out directly from them.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @TacoRocket...I can definitely understand the materials leaving you in a non-prepared state. With the time limits that Cisco puts on the certification process, plus materials that seem universally "half-baked", and the fact that we have lives to live, I am not surprised that you are frustrated. I would be too.

Time will tell how long it will take for Cisco to get their act together.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    adam220891adam220891 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So, I'm in the March 15th cohort which started today. Questions for anyone that can help....

-I am able to access the course through NetAcad, but not the other Website. When I access that one, it tells me the course is unavailable. Anyone else having this issue?
    -I see PDF labs during the chapters. Are these required to be complete? I went through them but am unable to fill the forms in and do not see a way of 'submitting.'

Thanks!
  • Options
    xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    adam220891 wrote: »
    So, I'm in the March 15th cohort which started today. Questions for anyone that can help....

-I am able to access the course through NetAcad, but not the other Website. When I access that one, it tells me the course is unavailable. Anyone else having this issue?
    -I see PDF labs during the chapters. Are these required to be complete? I went through them but am unable to fill the forms in and do not see a way of 'submitting.'

Thanks!

please read the instructions, you must pass the intro to cyber security in netcad before you are able to take secdef and cyber ops.
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • Options
    adam220891adam220891 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got ahead of myself. I ended up stepping back and realizing that. Thanks for pointing it out.
  • Options
    adam220891 wrote: »
    I got ahead of myself. I ended up stepping back and realizing that. Thanks for pointing it out.

np, we all get excited. I'm just a Stanger from the Internet =)
    Reading
  • Options
    Mr.NetworkMr.Network Member Posts: 117
    those of you who have taken exams here, are they difficult?
    and does the material cover all the topics to pass the exams?
    CCNA R&S, MCSA.
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I threw my hat into the ring to start early. We shall see.
  • Options
    Mr.NetworkMr.Network Member Posts: 117
    no one here taken the 210-250 SECFND or 210-255 SECOPS ?
    CCNA R&S, MCSA.
  • Options
    whoknewwhoknew Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ertaz wrote: »
    I threw my hat into the ring to start early. We shall see.

I have a PDF of all of the SECFND course chapter quiz questions in an unanswered state if you want them (indexed by chapter). You can use the PDF as a practice test & then score it against the challenge answers in the on-line course. That & the official exam syllabus helped me massively on the 210-250 exam. BTW....if you didn't know, you can download all of the videos.
    "I got a BAD feeling about this..."

What's Next: CISM, CompTIA CySA+ & PenTest+, OSCP, CCNP Security, GSEC, GPEN
  • Options
    cbolarcbolar Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd definitely appreciate that whoknew, do you have a Dropbox or google share you can post? I don't start until June 20th so this would be great to start reviewing.
  • Options
    CIOCIO Member Posts: 151
    I don't start until April 2, 2018 icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    adhikariashokadhikariashok Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    whoknew wrote: »
    I have a PDF of all of the SECFND course chapter quiz questions in an unanswered state if you want them (indexed by chapter). You can use the PDF as a practice test & then score it against the challenge answers in the on-line course. That & the official exam syllabus helped me massively on the 210-250 exam. BTW....if you didn't know, you can download all of the videos.
    can you please send me those quiz and PDF of SECFND. I have also started the course and completed the first one and going to start SECFND from tomorrow.

Thanks!
  • Options
    AviationAtomAviationAtom Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    TacoRocket wrote: »

Can you elaborate any further? How is the material lacking?
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations you have made it into Cohort 2. You are receiving this e-mail because you have inquired about starting early. I have contacted many of you, and some of you have contacted me. I am able to give you all a head start on being enrolled in Cohort 2, which will be from April 1st - June 15th. Please remember that you will be starting this cohort late, and no extension will be given.
  • Options
    gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "Congratulations you have made it into Cohort 2" as well icon_cheers.gif
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Anyone know if CCNA CyberOps will renew either the CCENT, CCNA R&S, and/or CCNA Security certs? Hoping it renews all three.
  • Options
    cbolar wrote: »
    I'd definitely appreciate that whoknew, do you have a Dropbox or google share you can post? I don't start until June 20th so this would be great to start reviewing.

Send me a private message on this board with your e-mail address & I'll send you the 2 PDF's.

• Options
    can you please send me those quiz and PDF of SECFND. I have also started the course and completed the first one and going to start SECFND from tomorrow.

Thanks!

Send me a private message on this board with your e-mail address & I'll send you the 2 PDF's.

• Options
    wolf9081wolf9081 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How do you download the videos?
  • Options
    thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I didn't even catch the 2018 in the original email icon_sad.gif
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • Options
    kietgarciakietgarcia Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□

do you still have the pdf for SECFND? thank you sir!
  • Options
    GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm in the current Cisco cohort and I have a question about how much the labs figure into the SECFND test. Can anyone comment in general about how much information you need to know from the labs to pass the test? Do you just need to know the commands and logs (etc) or do they require more hands on knowledge? I've been doing the labs but not taking notes like I do while watching the videos/reading and I'm wondering if I should be. I'm assuming the SECOPS test will be more hands on and more difficult.
  • Options
    GeekyChick wrote: »
    I'm in the current Cisco cohort and I have a question about how much the labs figure into the SECFND test. Can anyone comment in general about how much information you need to know from the labs to pass the test? Do you just need to know the commands and logs (etc) or do they require more hands on knowledge? I've been doing the labs but not taking notes like I do while watching the videos/reading and I'm wondering if I should be. I'm assuming the SECOPS test will be more hands on and more difficult.

I'm on the same boat, but I actually been skipping the labs. They remind me a lot of the EC-COUNCIL iLabs. =(
    Reading
  • Options
    globalenjoiglobalenjoi Member Posts: 104 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm in this cohort as well. I'm a bit surprised at the amount of material. I don't know what I was expecting, but I like it so far. Though I'm finding myself a bit stretched thin trying to maintain pace on this while also working on the PTP course from eLearnSecurity and a Palo Alto course. It's only going to get worse when I start the GCIH/Netwars class in a few weeks!

How are you enjoying the material?