Options

Cisco's $10 Million in Scholarships for Cyber

Comments

• Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    adam220891 wrote: »
    I didn't mean to single you out, just a PSA of sorts.

I finished the class yesterday, but going to spend time reviewing the material and then the gap coverage and regex/pcap filters before I consider requesting a voucher. It was just nice to know I didn't need to get it all done by June 15th.

I've got the gap document downloaded. I think this is going to require much more study for me than the last one.
  • Options
    adam220891adam220891 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Most of the hands on SIEM stuff for me is new, but PCAP, REGEX, and basic Linux usage stuff is not. I do think it's more challenging than the prior test, so trying not to lull myself into a false sense of confidence after passing the first one.

I do see value in this exam after completing the second course. I do find a lot of it to be new and hands-on and feel more prepared to discuss with security folks (in fact I have had discussions with them and we were able to go back and forth on some topics). I don't know if I'll ever transition to security because I feel like it would need to be a more junior role than where I'm at now, and I can't see doing that if it came at a pay cut. Any thoughts on that?
  • Options
    superbeastsuperbeast Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Did anyone else receive an e-mail regarding the opportunity to start an earlier cohort? I received this e-mail the other day. I won't do it because I'll be in summer school(opted to take summer classes so I can finish and have full availability once my cohort starts in September).

We have a great opportunity for you to possibly join the Cybersecurity Scholarship Program early. You are currently scheduled to start your class (cohort) on September 24, 2017 but there may be a few available openings for the class that runs from June 20 to September 20, 2017.

How this works:
    • If you say yes, you will receive communication to begin the first course which is Intro to Cybersecurity. This communication will be sent within 3 business days.
    • Once you complete the course, you will be added to the waiting list for the June 20th class. Completing Introduction to Cybersecurity is a requirement to be eligible for the Understanding Cisco Cybersecurity Fundamentals (SECFND) and Implementing Cisco Cybersecurity Operations (SECOPS) courses.
    • When a slot becomes available, we will notify you via email.
    If you are interested in joining the June 20th cohort, please respond back to this email to let us know. As an FYI, we will not remove you from your current class unless you are officially moved to the new cohort. Also, you do not need to complete the Intro to Cybersecurity course again, if you are not accepted into the June 20 class.

Please reply back to this email by June 2, 2017 to let us know you are interested. There are only a limited number of openings available, and they will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.

Thank You,
    Learning@Cisco
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I just started the program.

I'm working on this course: Intro to Cybersecurity

I noticed there isn't really any sound on the slides.

How do you pass this course, I noticed there is a final test, and chapter exams.

There is progress bar ,but it doesn't measure how far along I am in the course.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    Finished the course here at work. I can't get the labs to run here though. I'm about half way through them at home. I will get those done this weekend and request my SECOPS voucher then. The book should be available the 8th. I have a copy on preorder, with the digital copy included.
  • Options
    whoknewwhoknew Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    devilbones wrote: »
    I am going to schedule the SECOPS soon. Where is the GAP COVERAGE Document?

That GAP COVERAGE DOCUMENT & others are all in the documents section of the FB group called "Cisco Cyber Ops Study Group." Go to FB, join that group, go to the documents section & download the 210-255 docs that you want to study. There's also a page within the group where a member has collected all of the tips & advice from other members who have reported on their exam experience with the 210-250 & 210-255. I think it's pinned towards the top of the group page.
    "I got a BAD feeling about this..."

What's Next: CISM, CompTIA CySA+ & PenTest+, OSCP, CCNP Security, GSEC, GPEN
  • Options
    whoknew wrote: »
    That GAP COVERAGE DOCUMENT & others are all in the documents section of the FB group called "Cisco Cyber Ops Study Group." Go to FB, join that group, go to the documents section & download the 210-255 docs that you want to study. There's also a page within the group where a member has collected all of the tips & advice from other members who have reported on their exam experience with the 210-250 & 210-255. I think it's pinned towards the top of the group page.

Going through these now at my desk. It really has gotten me interested in IR. This is pretty fun.
  • Options
    lostsollostsol Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    whoknew wrote: »
    Nice, thanks!
  • Options
    chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    Ertaz wrote: »
    Going through these now at my desk. It really has gotten me interested in IR. This is pretty fun.

What is IR?
  • Options
    Incident Response
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Bumped up to the June 20 Cohort. Who else is in?
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    OctalDump wrote: »

I'am in this Cohort

I need to finish Intro to Cyber Security.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    trojintrojin Member Posts: 275 ■■■■□□□□□□
    OctalDump wrote: »
    Same. Doing the intro now
    I'm just doing my job, nothing personal, sorry

xx+ certs...and I'm not counting anymore

• Options
    jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'am in this Cohort

I need to finish Intro to Cyber Security.

I'm also in June 20th. Just finished the intro course...I took all quizzes and the final exam, is that all that has to be done or do we have to actually go through those labs and submit some form of proof for credit?
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    jamthat wrote: »
    I'm also in June 20th. Just finished the intro course...I took all quizzes and the final exam, is that all that has to be done or do we have to actually go through those labs and submit some form of proof for credit?

From my reading of the FAQ and the email, it seems like you just need to complete the course. I completed the quizzes, exam and survey and downloaded the certificate... but I still didn't get a "You've passed" message. I've actually done the course before, so I have that "You've Passed" on the other iteration of the course. Hopefully the rest of the course is as straight forward ;)

I think send an email to the support address and ask.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    cisco4lifecisco4life Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Received an email that I'm on the waiting list to be bumped up to June 20 cohort (originally was scheduled for September cohort). Completed the Intro to Cyber class last week, so now I'll just wait and see.
  • Options
    iseeyouiseeyou Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i wish i can start now.. my start date is july 6 2018!!!!icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    They updated the process for requesting your voucher to include the date you plan on testing. I didn't read that update and requested my voucher the same way I had for SECFND. I got this nice note:

Hello XXXX,

Thank you completing the course and requesting your exam voucher. Please let us know what date you plan on taking the exam, and we will assign out your voucher. We want to ensure that all exam vouchers are being used, so if you are not ready yet to take the exam, please request when you are ready.

Kind Regards,
    Learning@Cisco

I have since followed up with the date and I'm waiting to hear back.
  • Options
    devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I passed the SECOPS today. I am glad to get that over with, I wish I could clone the labs somehow though. Those were great.
  • Options
    I passed the SECOPS today. I am glad to get that over with, I wish I could clone the labs somehow though. Those were great.

Does the course prepare you well for the labs?
  • Options
    Does the course prepare you well for the labs?
    The labs are part of the course work and they go step by step. They are some of the best labs I have done in IT training. They work really well.
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    iseeyou wrote: »
    i wish i can start now.. my start date is july 6 2018!!!!icon_cry.gif

Yup me too, seems so far out.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    The labs are part of the course work and they go step by step. They are some of the best labs I have done in IT training. They work really well.
    Sorry, I took the statement that you passed as a reference to the actual Cisco exam.
  • Options
    Sorry, I took the statement that you passed as a reference to the actual Cisco exam.
    I did pass the actual exam. I was awarded the credentials from Cisco already too. There were no sims or labs on the exam, the labs are part of the course that this thread is the subject of.
  • Options
    I did pass the actual exam. I was awarded the credentials from Cisco already too. There were no sims or labs on the exam, the labs are part of the course that this thread is the subject of.

Gotcha. Congrats!
  • Options
    p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□

Congratulations! For what it's worth, I knew what you meant. :P What's next?
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • Options
    p@r0tuXus wrote: »
    Congratulations! For what it's worth, I knew what you meant. :P What's next?
    Thanks. I start my MS in July and maybe OSCP in the next 18 months.
  • Options
    ekoplexekoplex Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi. Just some clarification to the people who have started/finished the course. To complete the introduction, are you required to do the quizzes, final assessment, feedback, and generate a certificate? Am I missing anything else.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    You need to do it all or else they don't give you the free voucher. You also need to review the study guide. ALOT of information is not covered in the reading and labs.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    thesecuritybrothesecuritybro Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I will be starting on the 20th hopefully. I'm looking forward to the labs but the content sounds like a bore fest if it's anything like the first course.