Options

Cisco's $10 Million in Scholarships for Cyber

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Everyone still doing this in cohort 5? I’ve really not had chance apart from 1 chapter

80% done of secfnd, too much info for such a short period of time. I don't think I'm really prepared for it, I usually take more time to study and focus, not an option in this case when you got work and family stuff.
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The labs in SECFND are driving me crazy. "Compute the hash of this file. Now append data to it. Compute the hash again. See? It changes!"

The labs are set up well, it's just the material isn't interesting. Hopefully SECOPS steps it up a few levels!
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The labs in SECFND are driving me crazy. "Compute the hash of this file. Now append data to it. Compute the hash again. See? It changes!"

The labs are set up well, it's just the material isn't interesting. Hopefully SECOPS steps it up a few levels!

Sure, get ready for some swanky regular expressions in the next round ;)
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I just did the crypto labs and it felt like drinking tar.
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just finished Ch. 9 earlier and trying to get Ch. 10 modules done tonight. Will save the lab and challenge for later this week. Getting harder and harder to be motivated but I will get through it.
  • Options
    Anybody know when they normally send out vouchers? Their FAQ in one spot says they send them pout Mondays and Thursdays, but in another spot it says they process on Mondays and Thursdays, and that we get them within a couple days of that. Tomorrow is the ideal day for me to take it this week, so I'm really hoping they send them out on Monday (today) so I can get this thing scheduled and over with.
  • Options
    When did you finish the class? I finished SECFND on a Tuesday and got voucher Thursday.
  • Options
    I finished it Thursday night. Hopefully that means I'll have it soon.
  • Options
    K-9K-9 Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am not sure how much I am supposed to be absorbing from these labs. Does SECFND exam have a lot of simulations?
  • Options
    nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    according to the group in FB there is no lab sim on the exam.
    So dont expect any :):D
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • Options
    That makes me feel better. Thanks!
  • Options
    Your welcome. When you are planning to take the Secfnd?
    2020 Year goals:

• Options
    Not sure. I have a hard time knowing if I am ready. Two or three weeks?
  • Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    Passed SECFND. I rate the difficulty similar to that of the Security+. Feels great passing a certification after 4 years even if it is on the easier side. For you guys that have the experience, I wouldn't overstudy for it. icon_cheers.gif
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • Options
  • Options
    Please me explain how the difficulty is similar? Like the questions are very straight with some wording things? If that is what you are saying?

In CompTIA you can press back and mark the questions... That's the main difference with Cisco and CompTIA.
    Krones wrote: »
    Passed SECFND. I rate the difficulty similar to that of the Security+. Feels great passing a certification after 4 years even if it is on the easier side. For you guys that have the experience, I wouldn't overstudy for it. icon_cheers.gif
    2020 Year goals:

• Options
    And Congratulations!
    2020 Year goals:

• Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    nisti2 wrote: »
    Please me explain how the difficulty is similar? Like the questions are very straight with some wording things? If that is what you are saying?

In CompTIA you can press back and mark the questions... That's the main difference with Cisco and CompTIA.

Similar in difficulty, in the sense that it's really just memorization of high-level topics/overview of the material and reading the questions carefully and finding "Cisco's" best answer. I think the course content is more than sufficient to pass without having to memorize the nitty-gritty and it is good for the beginner. I would rate the quality better than Security+ honestly. You're right, it is like any other Cisco exam, no pressing back!
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • Options
    Thanks! So much! :)
    Similar in difficulty, in the sense that it's really just memorization of high-level topics/overview of the material and reading the questions carefully and finding "Cisco's" best answer. I think the course content is more than sufficient to pass without having to memorize the nitty-gritty and it is good for the beginner. I would rate the quality better than Security+ honestly. You're right, it is like any other Cisco exam, no pressing back!
    2020 Year goals:

• Options
    NEODREAMNEODREAM Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Anyone in Cohort 6 [4/2/18] receive any information yet?
    Goal: eJPT Mar. 2020 | GDAT May 2020 | eCPPT Dec. 2020
  • Options
    hxhxhxhx Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    nisti2 wrote: »

Many, but not all questions are about fundamentals. Things like port numbers and simple definitions. Other things are more complicated. I was able to answer every question, but I'm not convinced it was all part of the material. Overall I thought it was a fun program. The point of the entire certification is SECOPS, so we'll see how that goes.

Most importantly, go through that blueprint.
  • Options
    Passed SECFND yesterday. My CCNA R&S and Security are officially renewed for three years for free. I got what I signed up for, anything after this is just extra.
  • Options
    Wow congratulations!!

Share your thoughts from the exam pls!! :D
    Passed SECFND yesterday. My CCNA R&S and Security are officially renewed for three years for free. I got what I signed up for, anything after this is just extra.
    2020 Year goals:

• Options
    The exam was incredibly easy. I was expecting more Cisco-based equipment questions, but it was focused almost entirely on security fundamentals.If you can associate words together, then you don't even really need to understand the material, just what words pair together.
  • Options
    SvobodaSvoboda Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    NEODREAM wrote: »
    Anyone in Cohort 6 [4/2/18] receive any information yet?

Nothing here, yet.
  • Options
    Thanks! So should be an easy pass.. After my Sec+ exam :D
    The exam was incredibly easy. I was expecting more Cisco-based equipment questions, but it was focused almost entirely on security fundamentals.If you can associate words together, then you don't even really need to understand the material, just what words pair together.
    2020 Year goals:

• Options
    Svoboda wrote: »
    Nothing here, yet.

Cool, thanks for replying!
  • Options
    versoleversole Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you, I have applied. Let's hope I get into this since I am a student who is deeply passioned about getting into cyber security.
  • Options
    Just received survey for Cohort 6 to update student information before beginning the program.

Looks like we will receive a confirmation email by March 5 for those of us in Cohort 6.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Darn, the proactively mentioned the last cohort is full so guess no more deferrals for me.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework