Options

Cisco's $10 Million in Scholarships for Cyber

Comments

• Options
    tripleatriplea Member Posts: 190 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi,

Looking around at something else and stumbled across this topic.

Read several pages and it seems worthwhile. Is it still available? For exam wise is it done at a VUE centre?

Any quick info of what the course contains/access etc without having to roll the 57 pages please?

Cheers.
  • Options
    K-9K-9 Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Short version for triplea: Courses covered the items in the two tests - see exam objectives for SEFFND and SECOPS on Cisco site. Very helpful courses that I would recommend!

ITProTV has courses for this CCNA Cyber Ops, but I cannot comment on those videos. I haven't viewed them.
  • Options
    tripleatriplea Member Posts: 190 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for that.

Hour wise ( seeing you have to complete within 3 months ) how many hours would I be realistically looking at here? Not worried about putting in the effort but looking for a exam/family life balance. I take it its labs and reading?

Currently held Sec+ and valid ISC SSCP
  • Options
    It completely depends on your range of experience. One easy way to find out might be to pay for a month of ITProTV and take the courses? It would count toward your SSCP CPEs.
  • Options
    techlvr81techlvr81 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey triplea, I am a current student in the program it is completely self-paced. There are deadlines you have to meet obviously to finish each course, but I would say working and full-time and having a family that a few hours a night is doable to put in.

The exams are done at a Pearson Vue Center. As far as the scholarship program being available, I believe there are two more cohorts coming up this year but they are completely full and beyond that there is no plans to reopen the program in the future. I would still apply though just in case. If you do not get into the program self-study is also an option to, you can setup a basic home lab to practice some of the technologies learned in the course that is if you do not already have a home-lab. For the labs portion of the program Wireshark is used, along with primarily Security Onion, the courses also reference Cisco technologies but most of them aren't used in the labs.
  • Options
    ougijoeougijoe Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just accepted to Cohort 7. FYI, this will be their final cohort.
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Also accepted into cohort 7 as of today. Very lucky I think, as I only applied like 3 weeks ago. I think applications are really closed for real now. I remember that when I applied, I basically ignored all the "application closed" warnings and applied anyways. But it seems to have been taken down now as I can't find the form for the life of me.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    Congrats and good luck!
  • Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    Finished Secops this week. Good stuff. Be sure to study NIST docs. icon_cheers.gif
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • Options
    SvobodaSvoboda Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yoba222 wrote: »
    Also accepted into cohort 7 as of today. Very lucky I think, as I only applied like 3 weeks ago. I think applications are really closed for real now. I remember that when I applied, I basically ignored all the "application closed" warnings and applied anyways. But it seems to have been taken down now as I can't find the form for the life of me.

I believe you are correct. There is now a warning in the courseware saying Cohort 7 is full and there will be no future cohorts. Sounds like it was aimed and people that kept pushing themselves into the next cohort.
  • Options
    hxhxhxhx Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I finished a couple weeks ago. The advice from most people is good. Generally, the courseware and mentor sessions are good enough for SECFND. For SECOPS, it's good to go through the mentor sessions, NIST 800-61r2, and some knowledge of the forensics process. Follow the objectives in both courses.

It looks like the course is really closed. They are no longer taking registrations. It would be great if they brought it back for more people.
  • Options
    PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Anyone from cohort 6 received an exam voucher yet? I finished the course last Thursday & I'm hoping to receive a voucher today so I can sit the exam friday.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • Options
    relegatedrelegated Member Posts: 81 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Pseudonym wrote: »
    Anyone from cohort 6 received an exam voucher yet? I finished the course last Thursday & I'm hoping to receive a voucher today so I can sit the exam friday.

Have not gotten mine yet, I got an Email saying I would get it but nothing yet.
  • Options
    rcsoar4funrcsoar4fun Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Vouchers process on Tuesdays and Thursdays I think. Anyway, I got 2 automatically after finishing up.
  • Options
    I got my voucher a little bit ago and scheduled the exam for May 10 which was the earliest available at two locations I checked by me. I was also told I needed a Cisco ID which I didn't have and was told that would take 10 days, not sure about that.
  • Options
    PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Got my voucher Thursday night, booked exam for Friday & passed with a 917.

Really straight forward exam.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • Options
    Congrats, I will report back after I take the test Thurday
  • Options
    Passed with an 889
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    relegated wrote: »
    Passed with an 889

Which exam?

Are you in Cohort are you in?
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    What do you guys think are the chances that Cisco will provide this kind of opportunity again?
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
    Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Spiegel wrote: »
    What do you guys think are the chances that Cisco will provide this kind of opportunity again?

I think they're dead set on hitting that $10 million metric. There was an email from them some people got back around September 2017 that hinted at Cisco's value for the certification attempts being $3000 per person (the email mentioned paying only $500 per exam - a discount of $2000).

This would work out to getting 3333.33 people certified. Not a very round number and maybe it's something else. But I think Cisco extending the cohorts was based on achieving a metric sort of like this one.

I don't think they anticipated how poorly the drop out rate would be. Here we are with a cohort 7 beginning this year. Good chance this is the very last one, since it's going on 2 years they're doing it now. But they do seem devoted to putting out X number of passes; I wouldn't hold my breath, but I think there is a slight chance.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    Was the dropout rate really that high? How do you know about it?

I was surprised at the number of people asking for extra retake vouchers. One retake was generous. More than one looked fishy. If you put in the time, it wasn't THAT hard.
  • Options
    BVodkaBVodka Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good evening I am in the cohort six and I am prepping for exams. Kindly help me with exam prep materials etc.I appreciate all assistance.
  • Options
    BVodka wrote: »
    Good evening I am in the cohort six and I am prepping for exams. Kindly help me with exam prep materials etc.I appreciate all assistance.

Cisco will provide you with everything you need. Study what they give you.
  • Options
    iseeyouiseeyou Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hello house,
    has anyone received email for cohort 7
  • Options
    fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    iseeyou wrote: »
    hello house,
    has anyone received email for cohort 7

Yes, I did.
  • Options
    willhi1979willhi1979 Member Posts: 191
    Has anyone used the class or certification for CISSP CEUs? I recently passed the CISSP and am waiting for the endorsement to go through.

Also, I took the SECFND Exam on Saturday and made a 880. I went through it fast and the only prep I did was the course.
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    willhi1979 wrote: »
    Has anyone used the class or certification for CISSP CEUs? I recently passed the CISSP and am waiting for the endorsement to go through.

Also, I took the SECFND Exam on Saturday and made a 880. I went through it fast and the only prep I did was the course.
    I could never get them to email me the hours for each class. Opened a ticket, reopened, escalated, closed again.
  • Options
    It is online, 24/7. Take the classes when you take them. Mentoring sessions are held four different days and times during the week, but you can watch any or all of the recorded mentoring sessions when you want.
  • Options
    cohort 6, SECFND exam. I just used what they provided, you can watch the mentor session exam review along with Google/Wikipedia on various subjects. I also used one other website that had an video series, I didn't watch the videos just reviewed their notes.