Options

Cisco's $10 Million in Scholarships for Cyber

1454647484951»

Comments

• Options
    SvobodaSvoboda Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Passed with a 920. I'm officially done. Good luck to everyone left in C6 and those in C7.
  • Options
    PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well done mate. Great score.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • Options
    RussInGothamRussInGotham Member Posts: 15 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just passed SECOPS with an 834. Not bad for someone who has never worked in IT, and who has been studying for this exam for three weeks. I found it to be much more difficult than SECFND.
  • Options
    ramrod777ramrod777 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    do you guys have any news on CCIE or CCNP Cyberops on when they would roll it out ?
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    Got an email earlier today giving early access to the Cohort 7 learning material. if you're in Cohort 7 - make sure to check your email!
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I started the first chapter of the SECFND today. The material looks a bit more time consuming than I had anticipated. They suggest 100 hours per course (I was thinking more like 20 hours per course). Going to need to stretch my time out a bit more I can see already.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    hal9k2hal9k2 Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got it recently in C6 2018. As a short review, I really liked the materials having some experience in SOC. I must say I learned few interesting parts. Good starting point to have that cert for any new or future SOC monkey and it's free :)
  • Options
    jasojaso Member Posts: 40 ■■■□□□□□□□
    C6 here - passed SECFND with 953 last Tuesday... I have to catch up with SECOPS now...
  • Options
    Has anyone made any progress? The cohort kicked off officially this past Friday on July 6, but they opened up access to the course a couple of weeks ago. I just wrapped up SECFND section 4. I'm averaging about 5-6 hours per section, including the lab and quiz at the end.

So far, this material is excellent. I feel like I am getting more learning value out of this training than anything I did in prepping for the CySA+ a few months ago.
  • Options
    vinluvvinluv Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Would you say that one can take the CySA+ after completing SECFND and SECOPS?
  • Options
    vinluvvinluv Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yoba222 wrote: »
    Has anyone made any progress? The cohort kicked off officially this past Friday on July 6, but they opened up access to the course a couple of weeks ago. I just wrapped up SECFND section 4. I'm averaging about 5-6 hours per section, including the lab and quiz at the end.

So far, this material is excellent. I feel like I am getting more learning value out of this training than anything I did in prepping for the CySA+ a few months ago.

Would you say that one can take the CySA+ after completing SECFND and SECOPS?
  • Options
    jasojaso Member Posts: 40 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Passed SECOPS today and I’m not happy... I mean I’m happy I passed, but the exam was... meh. Like I crushed the Secfnd and everything was making sense, this was the complete opposite... Terrible wording of questions, some specific details nowhere to find, questions not covered by the book, repeated questions over and over again for some topics... Maybe it was my bad luck, but I didn’t think I’ll pass after only 30 questions... Anyway pass is a pass, mine was with 857...

If I can give any advice regarding both exams - for SECFND - do the first six chapters of SECOPS on top of SECFND. I know it is kinda huge, because SECFND is much more difficult from the point of how much information one has to learn and I was quite exhausted after completing the whole course (could be my problem, because I had to do half of the course in a little bit more than a week). But it helps tremendously.
    For SECOPS - do not underestimate it, really really read more than once the nist 800-62r2 and study CVSS 3.0 metrics and all other suggested additional documents (mentor will post it in the forums...). Most of the people say the SECOPS is more difficult and it is true, but in my opinion not by the depth of the knowledge or how much you have to learn, but by the necessite to look on the subject matter from different angles and be able to properly connect it with other stuff.

For SECFND I used both the NIL course and the official cert book - I think both are a little bit overkill with the book being a little bit more on point exam wise. But it doesn’t hurt to learn more.

For SECOPS again both, but I think somewhere the course is better and somewhere (more of the time) the book is. Overall I do not think they are able to prepare you in combination and study from other resources is really necessary.

Good luck to everybody!
  • Options
    swampratswamprat Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    SECOPS was definitely harder than SECFND for me, though the memorization tables (Appendix C in the OCG I think?) for both helped, as did reviewing the pre/post chapter questions.

Vinluv, just studying SECOPS/SECFND will NOT prepare you to pass the CySA+. That being said, there is a LOT of overlap between this CCNA and the CySA+, and I took them ocncurrently and did well. I would study for all three though, and take them, rather than just studying for one test or the other. I felt that the CySA+ material helped make the CCNA Cyberops material more relevant (and vice versa). I prefer the Pearson LiveLessons material for the CySA+, and for SECOPS/SECFND, made use of the ocg and the courses in the scholarship.
  • Options
    rcsoar4funrcsoar4fun Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A little off topic, has anyone transfered CyberOps over to WGU for credit (maybe CeH?)?
  • Options
    mrkdiskmrkdisk Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used the Intro to CyberOps for credit on the CEH. They gave me 20 credits for it. I'm still in Cohort 7 so once I'm finish I'll submit it.
  • Options
    That stinks, I was hoping to take the CeH for easy credit. :D
  • Options
    Hawk321Hawk321 Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Passed too, was in cohort 6.
    Well, I agree to that the cops exam was some weird stuff. SecFND was easy to me, I'm a Linux pro and so...nothing new for me.
    Anyone else who had no use for the mentoring sessions ???
    Degree in
    computer science, focus on IT-Security.
    CCNA R+S and CCNA CyberOPS
    LPIC-1,LPIC-2,LPIC-3: Security
    Ubiquiti: UBRSS+UBRSA
    some other certs...

• Options
    Hawk321 wrote: »
    Passed too, was in cohort 6. Well, I agree to that the cops exam was some weird stuff. SecFND was easy to me, I'm a Linux pro and so...nothing new for me. Anyone else who had no use for the mentoring sessions ???
    I never did any of the "additional" resources like the lectures. The second test took me a whole week to prep for, guess those years of being a Cisco pro helped.
  • Options
    . . . Anyone else who had no use for the mentoring sessions ???

I don't know, judging from numerous illiterate discussion board posts over there, I suspect that a considerable number of students, at least in Cohort 7, probably have no business even being in the cohort. I don't know how some of them passed that initial screening quiz--maybe it was available in a non-English language or something.

I think the mentor sessions are probably for those kinds. Maybe they were damage control from a massive amount of initial failures in the earliest cohorts, that morphed into a part of the curriculum.
  • Options
    SyntaxSyntax Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□

I was in Cohort 4 last year and the only session I watched was the exam review at the end for SECFND... didn't bother with any for SECOPS. By the time they were doing the review and people were still posting questions in the discussion threads I had already taken and passed the certification exam. I feel like the self-study material alone and my prior knowledge of networking concepts was all that was needed to pass Cyber Ops.
  • Options
    nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□

I only used for the first welcoming but after that I never used.
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • Options
    Hawk321Hawk321 Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    To be honest, I understood not one word in those mentoring sessions...some heavy eastern accent.

What I used :
    - The Videos
    - Labs
    - my experience
    - books
    and some additional online sources like security websites etc. also since the cyberops course I following more and more the CVS infos that I get daily :)
    Degree in
    computer science, focus on IT-Security.
    CCNA R+S and CCNA CyberOPS
    LPIC-1,LPIC-2,LPIC-3: Security
    Ubiquiti: UBRSS+UBRSA
    some other certs...

• Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Anybody have the domain? I need to log in to get my course completion certs for CEUs. Thanks!
  • Options
    https://www.lumicybersecurity.com/login/index.php

My opinion has changed big time. This is one of the best training courses I've ever taken.
  • Options
    bhuwanpbhuwanp Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Passed SECFND, study atleast first three chapters from elearning for SECFND. Now on to SECOPS. Both exams long due for me.
  • Options
    bhuwanp wrote: »
    Passed SECFND, study atleast first three chapters from elearning for SECFND. Now on to SECOPS. Both exams long due for me.

First three chapters of SECOPS I mean.
  • Options
    bhuwanp wrote: »
    First three chapters of SECOPS I mean.

Passed SECOPS, Follow the exam blueprint and NIST publications.

Other very important study material include **** sheets for wireshark and tcpdump display filter (can get from packetlife.net) and regex (from lovesdata.com).
  • Options
    Well that's finally done. The training was great as were the labs. The first exam was fair. But that second exam . . . what a miserable turd of a test and by far the most poorly conceived exam I've ever taken. I don't what's going on with Cisco, but that exam makes me question Cisco's competency. Or maybe it's some kind of stupid bureaucratic process . . . how those exam questions were conceived and continue to be official astounds me . . . .