Options

Cisco's $10 Million in Scholarships for Cyber

Comments

• Options
    iseeyouiseeyou Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's possible. Part of the program is to be able to share your success story at the end. Hard to do that if you're already someone who's successful in security.

"Yes, I was making $975,000 yr before the Cisco scholarship program. Once I completed it, I was able to finish filling the west wing of my estate with framed certifications. Thank you Cisco for creating yet another certification I could obtain."

I just don't see it.

cant stop laughing :D
  • Options
    ivx502ivx502 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    I was thinking last night, with all of the high scores being reported here and I'm sure elsewhere out there, what if Cisco decided to not take in the people with the least or most current knowledge based on the assessment, and only accepted people who scored in the middle range from like 25%-75%? That would suck for all of us that scored above 75% icon_lol.gif

I can see the argument being made on both sides. I can see Cisco wanting to bring in the best candidates to launch the new certification. I could also see them bringing in a candidates that scored low to emphasize the quality of their training. My guess is it just might be a mixed group some from the top, some from the middle, and some from the bottom.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    your speculations are baseless. Ideally, the ones with the best scores make the best candidates.

I'd argue that it is not baseless at all. As JoJoCal stated, if they are going to use people for their stories they would be less apt to go after someone who is already in a security related position and more apt to go with someone who currently isn't in security so they can say "get our certification and you too can become a cyber security professional".

Let's face the facts that quiz wasn't hard and their "requirements" for the scholarship amount to asking someone do they want to work in the security field. With requirements such as that, I can easily see where JoJoCal's point is not only valid, but probably correct.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    _root_root Banned Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The speculations in this thread is killing me.

We'll know in a week, right? Some of us will get in, some of us might not..there's no way to know at this point.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Pretty much what the_Grinch said. And besides, my point wasn't anything more than just a funny thought I had last night. I would laugh if all of us thinking how awesome we did getting around 90% end up not being what Cisco is looking for. I know if they were to look at me from a resume standpoint then I'm not what they are looking for.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    Abdullah.AAAbdullah.AA Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I only wanted to say there is no pointing and speculating or making assumptions based on nothing concrete, when Cisco have only announced few details of the program.

time will tell who gets accepted or not.

in the mean time I believe Richard Bejlich's Book "The practice of Network security monitoring" + SecurityOnion + kali linux is a good hands practice.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I only wanted to say there is no pointing and speculating or making assumptions based on nothing concrete, when Cisco have only announced few details of the program.

Well sir, I believe the entertainment value in speculating trumps the realizing that no one has a damn clue what Cisco is ever thinking. icon_cool.gif

(I never received anything from them after signing up either...feelsbadman)
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Just took the test and got 29/30. Definitely basic stuff, although some questions had me removing the dust from parts of my mind that haven't been touched in a while. My immediate thought was exactly what JoJoCal19 said: "oh, you have a great score, let's give the chance to those who really need it".

We will see.
  • Options
    LinguisticsLinguistics Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I received my assessment mail yesterday and I have yet to take it icon_silent.gif (was flying back from vacation yesterday). When I got home late at night I noticed there was no internet, and had to wait for today and phone the ISP. Apparently my cable decided to die at one of the most inopportune moments. I got my hands on a mobile stick and was about to begin the assessment a couple minutes ago when the ISP called and told me they are sending a crew right now. And here I am waiting for internet and stuck at the password change screen and hoping the timer hasn't started when I clicked the link in the e-mail.. icon_cry.gif
    You will take another survey assessment after clicking the email and logging in. the actual assessment will not start upon clicking login
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Finally got mine.

After a lot of thinking on who they are going to pick I came to the conclusion that they would most likely choose low scores to train into security guys. That's the whole reason they want success stories....

I doubt they will take a security guy who scores a 30 and already has credentials higher than what they are offering.

So after much debate I will take it tonight and flunk it.

Only time will tell, but I figure mid teens should be where they are looking for good candidates.
  • Options
    doctorlexusdoctorlexus Member Posts: 217
    Cyberscum wrote: »
    Finally got mine.

After a lot of thinking on who they are going to pick I came to the conclusion that they would most likely choose low scores to train into security guys. That's the whole reason they want success stories....

I doubt they will take a security guy who scores a 30 and already has credentials higher than what they are offering.

So after much debate I will take it tonight and flunk it.

Only time will tell, but I figure mid teens should be where they are looking for good candidates.

Good plan, sir. Although I would suggest aiming a little higher, probably around 20/30...it shows potential, but not too much.
  • Options
    techsecuritytechsecurity Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My guess is that they need some people between 28-30/30 in order to become certified fast and all the other would be 20+/30 without much experience in the field in order to share their success stories afterwards. The interesting part of this situation is that i found a few job listings that ask for the ccna cyber ops (preferred not required).
  • Options
    Good plan, sir. Although I would suggest aiming a little higher, probably around 20/30...it shows potential, but not too much.

Yeah I was gonna shoot for 15-20.

I just think they are looking for less qualified people. I don't even care about the cert as much as I want to figure out the criteria they are using based on the limited info they have out there lol.

Im gonna take it now. Wish me luck......but not too much lol

UPDATE: 19/30!!!!! damn I'm good ;)
  • Options
    cisco4lifecisco4life Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I like speculating how they will choose candidates also. I scored a 27/30 but I do think they will pick a percentage in different ranges so they have a cross-section of entry-level, middle of the road, and advanced. The advanced students wouldn't require as much mentoring attention and could provide technical feedback on how to improve questions/content. Of course, entry level people looking to get in cybersecurity is what they really want as they would make for good success stories. At this point, I think as long as you score over a 15 you have as much chance of being picked as someone who score 25-30. Can't wait to see the posts when people start getting accepted! Good luck to all!
  • Options
    RitualRitual Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yikes scored a 23/30

Should of googled the answers as I went, and used that 30 minutes extra time to review my answers.

Hopefully my qualifications will get me into the program rather then my assessment quiz.
    2016 goals - eJPT, MCSA Windows 10, something Linux
  • Options
    tphan3tphan3 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was just thinking: What about someone who scored well, but he/she actually has no certs in hand at all. I actually bunch of friends who are way better at understanding Linux than I do because they use it early. Getting this cert could further advance his/her career like switching job or getting promotion. Hence, hopes for those got high scores, lol. Cisco has no idea how many certs we got, right?
  • Options
    tphan3 wrote: »
    I was just thinking: What about someone who scored well, but he/she actually has no certs in hand at all. I actually bunch of friends who are way better at understanding Linux than I do because they use it early. Getting this cert could further advance his/her career like switching job or getting promotion. Hence, hopes for those got high scores, lol. Cisco has no idea how many certs we got, right?

This cert is a joke. Just like most of them. A ploy to make money and gain market space.

Its the business of certs. CISCO does not care about your past, future or present. They are looking to make themselves look good by "giving" people opportunities to advance themselves in the security realm just so they can start to cash in on the other cert mongers that made millions in the security sector.

Good luck and hopefully I'll be writing a success story soon...
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    This cert is a joke. Just like most of them. A ploy to make money and gain market space.

Its the business of certs. CISCO does not care about your past, future or present. They are looking to make themselves look good by "giving" people opportunities to advance themselves in the security realm just so they can start to cash in on the other cert mongers that made millions in the security sector.

Pfft. Cisco loves me. I just know they do. You can tell by how gleefully they take my $.
  • Options
    iseeyouiseeyou Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□

i don't agree with you. this is a great gesture from cisco and the last time i checked. no other company has done it
    i cant wait to enroll!!!
  • Options
    Abdullah.AAAbdullah.AA Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□

the stuff mentioned under the exam objectives are actually important and useful for anyone who wants to work as a security analyst, but we all know IT certification's worth since the ridiculous amount of brain **** that exists out there
  • Options
    securityorcsecurityorc Member Posts: 58 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have internet again and I was able to finally do it! Seemed fairly basic to me, even though I'm still about halfway through the CCNA material, but I got some answers wrong due to the wording of the questions and I missed some other Linux and Windows bits. 22.57/30 here
  • Options
    iseeyou wrote: »
    i don't agree with you. this is a great gesture from cisco and the last time i checked. no other company has done it
    i cant wait to enroll!!!

No man your right, I need to change my tune.

...I'm sorry Mr CISCO. I should be grateful that you took the time out of your day to offer us all a "free" cert that no employer wants or is asking for. Your not like the other companies that I receive spam from on a daily basis for "free" this and "free" that. I have a gut feeling that you really mean good in what your doing and I can't wait to start my career in cyber security with this one cert. I want to also apologize to the members of this forum for clouding your thoughts about Mr CISCO. He/she has been nothing but honest to me and although he/she takes a lot of my hard earned money, I feel he/she only does it for my own good. Now I'm gonna get back to work before I cause any more issues.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    No man your right, I need to change my tune.

...I'm sorry Mr CISCO. I should be grateful that you took the time out of your day to offer us all a "free" cert that no employer wants or is asking for. Your not like the other companies that I receive spam from on a daily basis for "free" this and "free" that. I have a gut feeling that you really mean good in what your doing and I can't wait to start my career in cyber security with this one cert. I want to also apologize to the members of this forum for clouding your thoughts about Mr CISCO. He/she has been nothing but honest to me and although he/she takes a lot of my hard earned money, I feel he/she only does it for my own good. Now I'm gonna get back to work before I cause any more issues.

Don't forget to ask Cisco for forgiveness you heathen icon_cheers.gif
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    E Double U wrote: »
    Don't forget to asok Cisco for forgiveness you heathen icon_cheers.gif

Too late. CISCO notified me that I needed to retake the assessment because of my civil disobedience so I did.

They changed the test on me and had all kinds of complicated questions like...."what rhymes with FIRERALL and is part of security".

I guessed directory traversal exploit, but after thinking about it for a bit I think it was cross site scripting vulnerability.

.... let this be a lesson to you all.
  • Options
    Signed up for it again on a different email address last week and they sent me the assessment to that one! icon_thumright.gif Will have to get that done sometime today.
  • Options
    ivx502ivx502 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Too late. CISCO notified me that I needed to retake the assessment because of my civil disobedience so I did.

They changed the test on me and had all kinds of complicated questions like...."what rhymes with FIRERALL and is part of security".

I guessed directory traversal exploit, but after thinking about it for a bit I think it was cross site scripting vulnerability.

.... let this be a lesson to you all.

I choose application did I get it right?
  • Options
    8thdegreepwnologist8thdegreepwnologist Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I see a lot of you didnt see the percentage of your grade. Heres a screenshot of mine which shows the percentage.

I used Chrome [FONT=&quot]Version 53.0.2785.101 m
    [/FONT]

• Options
    24.17/30 , feel that is a good number to be at. Right on the 80% line.
  • Options

and here I thought every company that makes certifications do it out of the goodness of their hearts and didn't care about making money. icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    27.33. Fingers crossed I get it!