Options

Cisco's $10 Million in Scholarships for Cyber

Comments

• Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    and here I thought every company that makes certifications do it out of the goodness of their hearts and didn't care about making money. icon_cry.gif

I know its horrible right. I'm gonna start a cert company that offers free certs.

........But the renewal fee for every year will be one thousand dollars ;)

And will be in very fine print. But I will be offering free stuff for everyone like Santa clause.
  • Options
    TechxWizardTechxWizard Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just took the assessment. Scored at 23~/30. it was very straight forward. It's a free Cert. Looks good on any resume. it cant hurt. good luck to all. maybe we all reach the finish line on this one!
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I just took the assessment. Scored at 23~/30. it was very straight forward. It's a free Cert. Looks good on any resume. it cant hurt. good luck to all. maybe we all reach the finish line on this one!

In the interview: "I see you have the CCNA Cyber Ops. I too clip coupons as part of my career progression."
  • Options
    lismithlismith Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    29/30 icon_cheers.gif Surprised that the one I missed was on networking. I thought it would be Linux I missed (guess I know just enough Linux!)
  • Options
    techsecuritytechsecurity Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think it doesn't matter if its free today because tomorrow will cost a few thousand dollars to take the training etc. Either way its good to have if you are not certified from all the other certification "vendors" multiple times. Knowledge is always needed.Maybe im wrong
  • Options
    iseeyouiseeyou Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    lismith wrote: »
    29/30 icon_cheers.gif Surprised that the one I missed was on networking. I thought it would be Linux I missed (guess I know just enough Linux!)
    29/30...wow you did so well.. highest score so far in this forum!!
  • Options
    ifexifex Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I feel like a noob here.. you guys are making me feel inferior.. seeing all the certs you'll are having
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Cyberscum wrote: »
    No man your right, I need to change my tune.

...I'm sorry Mr CISCO. I should be grateful that you took the time out of your day to offer us all a "free" cert that no employer wants or is asking for. Your not like the other companies that I receive spam from on a daily basis for "free" this and "free" that. I have a gut feeling that you really mean good in what your doing and I can't wait to start my career in cyber security with this one cert. I want to also apologize to the members of this forum for clouding your thoughts about Mr CISCO. He/she has been nothing but honest to me and although he/she takes a lot of my hard earned money, I feel he/she only does it for my own good. Now I'm gonna get back to work before I cause any more issues.

LOL, though traumatized by your post (a glass of wine settled my nerves), I forgive you.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    ifex wrote: »
    I feel like a noob here.. you guys are making me feel inferior.. seeing all the certs you'll are having

Yes but, we all started with none. I recommend just reading these forums daily for a while and you will learn a ton to help you get there too.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    @ifex No reason to feel bad. Can't compare yourself to some of us who have been in IT forever. Take it one step at a time, challenge yourself, keep learning, keep momentum going, and you'll prevail.
  • Options
    Moh Al-WabMoh Al-Wab Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took my assessment 11 days ago, and still waiting for the reply.
    Has anyone heard back from Cisco?
  • Options
    7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    not yet!
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • Options
    Cerebro 2.0Cerebro 2.0 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took it last weds and still waiting :)
    ITIL SO [In progress]
    Prince 2 Foundation [In progress]
  • Options
    CIOCIO Member Posts: 151
    Same here. I took it 9/2 and haven't heard anything since
  • Options
    BuzzSawBuzzSaw Member Posts: 259 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We will all be waiting awhile I would guess.

I think the assessment is to do two things:

1. Make sure that people have a VERY basic understanding as stipulated in the program criteria - how successful would the low scorers actually be?
    2. To make sure that people coming into the program have the most likely shot to succeed.

This is the same reason some colleges have close to a 100% graduation rate. Not because they are amazing at turning around low grade students into high grade student. They are very picky with who they let in.

Maybe I'm wrong ... but I would think the only people that get "cut" based on assessment would be those who score very low. I am only basing this on what Cisco has already told us.
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I applied and was sent an online assessment & submitted...awaiting to see if I qualified. :)
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    don't feel bad, 22.6/30 over here! If I don't get picked, then there are other certs to go after!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    godfather1930godfather1930 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello friends,

23.6/30 here. I was aiming for 80.00 line but unfortunately it wasn't the case this time...but despite all of this some of you folks really made my smile show up through your messages and speculations. icon_lol.gif

Also, I've noticed I can take another attempt at the exam quiz, is this true for you also? Does it count?

Wish you good luck!

Alexandru Luca (this is my first post, hurray! icon_cheers.gif )
  • Options
    ReinstallReinstall Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Friend:

28/30 in 12mins -- Cisco will pick the fastest, top scores first. If you allow the best to get the certs first it will give the image that the cert has value.
    (my conclusion) Then more SOCs will request that their analyst need Cyber Ops Cert, Cisco makes more money and the continuation of the machine... well as long as one of ya'll don't put a wrench in the machine... (don't search "cotton candy kid")
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Also, I've noticed I can take another attempt at the exam quiz, is this true for you also? Does it count?

Just logged into my account and see they put up the following information

"ALERT: We are in the process of removing users who have previously completed the assessment. If you have already completed the assessment you do not need to retake the assessment, your original results are the only ones which will be counted."

It does bother me a little bit that it shows I have an assessment to do and I cannot see my previous completed assessment though...
  • Options
    egb893egb893 Member Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took my assessment on September 6th, scored a 79.6%. I just received an email stating a new Cisco Cyber Security account has been created. Has anyone else received this?

Edit:
    Never mind, that's the same site the assessment was on, I was hoping it was a good sign lol
  • Options
    Mr.NetworkMr.Network Member Posts: 117
    egb893 wrote: »
    I took my assessment on September 6th, scored a 79.6%. I just received an email stating a new Cisco Cyber Security account has been created. Has anyone else received this?

Edit:
    Never mind, that's the same site the assessment was on, I was hoping it was a good sign lol

if you received a email like in the link below, then it seems to be a scam.
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/122394-cisco-cyber-scam-e-mail.html
    CCNA R&S, MCSA.
  • Options
    egb893egb893 Member Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mr.Network wrote: »
    if you received a email like in the link below, then it seems to be a scam.
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/122394-cisco-cyber-scam-e-mail.html

Yes, it is just like that one. Not a scam though. It sends you to the same website the assessment was on. I read a post on reddit that a few people received this and emailed cisco. They received this response:

We aplogize, this email was generated in error. Your user access was revoked after you completed the assessment. Please disregard! You will hear fro mCisco within 1-2 weeks with an update on the scholarship program.
    Thank you,
    Sabrina

Seems they were revoking access and somehow it auto generated some emails.
  • Options
    godfather1930godfather1930 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think they have some troubles with their exam system.

1. Some questions in the quiz were not making any sense.

2. A friend of mine had the same "opportunity" :) to take the exam quiz again, he did it and noticed a change in one question that was not making any sense in his previously attempt. Although they have put that ALERT message, I have a strange feeling that they will not have the access to see if a user took the exam again.

2. Some received the email that was telling them to log into a new account.

3. Now, they said that we will no longer be able to access the account, but for me is still working.
  • Options
    esr0159esr0159 Member Posts: 80 ■□□□□□□□□□
    quote from the email that i got recently
    Because of the intense interest in the scholarship program, there have been many test takers and thus a lot of results to review and analyze. By the end of October, we will let you know if there is availability in the program based on your results and student demand. Your studies will come in time for the upcoming release of the CCNA Cyber Ops curriculum.
    CCNP R&S | Planning to hit IE R&S or JNCIA or Security path|
  • Options
    CertifiedMonkeyCertifiedMonkey Member Posts: 172 ■■□□□□□□□□
    esr0159 wrote: »
    By the end of October, we will let you know if there is availability in the program based on your results and student demand.

There's obviously a lot of demand. The question now is: What results are they looking for?

Also, how many people do you guys think have signed up for this? I think the cap was 10,000 people if IRC.
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    There's obviously a lot of demand. The question now is: What results are they looking for?

Also, how many people do you guys think have signed up for this? I think the cap was 10,000 people if IRC.

Im probably out of the running. Oh well, I will have returned from my GPEN course then and be focusing on that exam. Good luck to those who get selected. I need something OS/Cisco related after that to meet DOD requirements.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yup I got the October email as well.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    8thdegreepwnologist8thdegreepwnologist Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Heres a screenshot of the email I received today from Cisco.

• Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Heres a screenshot of the email I received today from Cisco.

I got the same email this morning.